What would happen if I plug 6V power supply to cubieboard 4?

Роман Чарушин

Nov 30, 2015, 3:35:37 PM11/30/15
to Cubieboard
I have cubieboard 4, but don't have 5V power supply, only 6V. What would happen to the board if I plug 6V in it? What are the consequences of using 6V poser on daily basis?

Bastiaan van den Berg

Nov 30, 2015, 3:38:16 PM11/30/15
to cubie...@googlegroups.com
it would die

On Mon, Nov 30, 2015 at 9:35 PM, Роман Чарушин <asrom...@gmail.com> wrote:
I have cubieboard 4, but don't have 5V power supply, only 6V. What would happen to the board if I plug 6V in it? What are the consequences of using 6V poser on daily basis?

Matthias Bock

Nov 30, 2015, 4:31:23 PM11/30/15
to cubie...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Well, it would probably not die immediately.

I was just checking that in the schematics.
http://dl.cubieboard.org/model/cc-a80/Hardware/

The line from J10 ("5V IN") is named "ACIN"
(page 5 upper left corner).
ACIN serves as "Adapter input" to the AXP809,
which according to the datasheet tolerates up to 6.3V.
It's borderline, but your cubieboard
will probably not break immediately.

For the daily use you should still get a 5V supply,
put's less stress on the part and you're safe
against voltage drift in your AC adapter output.

Cheers, Matthias

Robert Moskowitz

Dec 1, 2015, 8:05:08 AM12/1/15
to cubie...@googlegroups.com
This gives you 'time' to order a 2A 5V power supply from far away. One
of those places that have a 2 week delivery process.

Or look at one of the multi-plug power supplies. I have 5 Cubies (with
1A 2.5" sata drives) powered from one Anker 40W supply.