compiling xbmc on cubieboard

Martin Wild

Nov 9, 2012, 3:02:21 AM11/9/12
to cubie...@googlegroups.com
yesterday I started a attempt to compile xbmc on cubieboard as described on
http://linux-sunxi.org/XBMC

For I had no luck in working with cross compilers I decided to take the long compiling time, and do it directly on the cubie to minimize error sources. So I started the tutorial and set up everything step by step as described on my linaro 12.10 dist.
The only thing I changed was the working directory from sdcard to the root of my sata hdd mounted on /mnt/data where free space and speed is not an issue.
(Yes I know I have to change the paths in the tutorial from here on;)
I set up a luxurious swap file and started building.
When I come to : make -C xbmc it runs for a while and aborts with the error
Libssh. Not found. I checked and found out that libssh and the sources are installed correctly.
At this point I am stuck right now. Where/how can I tell the compiler where to look for files it is missing?

Thanks i.a., Martin

Robin Dong

Nov 9, 2012, 11:30:00 PM11/9/12
to cubie...@googlegroups.com

在 2012年11月9日星期五UTC+8下午4时02分21秒,Martin Wild写道:
yesterday I started a attempt to compile xbmc on cubieboard as described on
 http://linux-sunxi.org/XBMC

For I had no luck in working with cross compilers I decided to take the long compiling time, and do it directly on the cubie to minimize error sources. So I started the tutorial and set up everything step by step as described on my linaro 12.10 dist.
The only thing I changed was the working directory from sdcard to the root of my sata hdd mounted on /mnt/data where free space and speed is not an issue.
(Yes I know I have to change the paths in the tutorial from here on;)
I set up a luxurious swap file and started building.
When I come to : make -C xbmc it runs for a while and aborts with the error
Libssh. Not found. I checked and found out that libssh and the sources are installed correctly.

Install libssh-dev

apt-get install libssh-dev

for a try

Martin Wild

Nov 10, 2012, 8:06:13 AM11/10/12
to cubie...@googlegroups.com
Ive already tried this!

(...When I come to : make -C xbmc it runs for a while and aborts with the error
Libssh. Not found. I checked and found out that libssh and the sources are installed correctly....)

i searched a bit and found something like the install location of libssh has changed not too recently,but i have no idea hot to tell that the compiler! ;)
i dont think i am capable of compiling such a complex pile of code .i tried to do the same on a naked wheezy rootfs, and end up with wget cannot download by a failed check for certificates ! :(

this takes too much time when failing on every attemt ,so ill try again when im bored for some reason ,until that i hope someon more talented than me takes the challenge and builds a package!

Dmitriy B.

Nov 10, 2012, 11:15:37 AM11/10/12
to cubie...@googlegroups.com
install libssh both target and host rootfs ('apt-get install  libssh-4  libssh-dev' with 'chroot /mnt/yourrootfs/')

2012/11/10 Martin Wild <lilc...@gmail.com>

Martin Wild

Nov 10, 2012, 11:48:28 AM11/10/12
to cubie...@googlegroups.com

there is no target or host, i compile directly on cubie to minimize problems!

rather wait a little longer than face the bugs of 2 Systems! :)

Martin Wild

Nov 11, 2012, 5:10:30 AM11/11/12
to cubie...@googlegroups.com

Am Samstag, 10. November 2012 17:48:28 UTC+1 schrieb Martin Wild:

Am Samstag, 10. November 2012 17:16:03 UTC+1 schrieb Dmitriy B.:
[...]

Thanks Dmitriy!!

I got curious and installed the packages you suggested

 -- apt-get install  libssh-4  libssh-dev

this seems to fix the missing libssh problem and now it compiles without further issues.
lets see if it produces a working build while i am away...

Martin Wild

Nov 11, 2012, 12:57:19 PM11/11/12
to cubie...@googlegroups.com

It Compiled successfull!

It took about 4 hours,but it succeeded finally!
i did a make install and created a package all without errors.
but now i end up (like i aleady read somewhere) with a black screen.
XBMC seems to be running , i have network and SATA activity when i hit some keys or click around with my mouse but no Screen output anymore .
the egl packages got removed like in the tutorial, and all marked moules are loaded, so what could be the problem.
it also makes no difference if i stop LIGHTDM or not (service lightdm stop...)

are there any modules or packages that must not be runnign/be installed to get XMBC to work?

regards, Martin

Martin Wild

Nov 11, 2012, 2:04:21 PM11/11/12
to cubie...@googlegroups.com

now i have a error -message:

UMP: ump_arch_open() failed to open UMP device driver

the ump driver is listed in the lsmod list....

Dmitriy B.

Nov 11, 2012, 2:19:10 PM11/11/12
to cubie...@googlegroups.com
Do:
chmod 777 /dev/ump
chmod 777 /dev/mali

If you still have blackscreen, remove xf86-video-mali and libs from /lib completely and run xf86-video-fbdev, XBMC uses only framebuffer libraries that are not compatible with X11 ones and xf86-video-mali driver.

Best Regards,
Dmitriy Beykun

2012/11/11 Martin Wild <lilc...@gmail.com>

now i have a error -message:

UMP: ump_arch_open() failed to open UMP device driver

the ump driver is listed in the lsmod list....

Martin Wild

Nov 12, 2012, 12:39:00 AM11/12/12
to cubie...@googlegroups.com

IT IS WORKING!!!

Many thanks again Dmitriy! I would have searched at least a week more finding the fixes for the Problems without your help!!

I Compiled (almost) like the sunxi-tutorial ,and now it runs quite smooth!

here are all the steps i took in orderto make it work

root@mele:~/# apt-get update
root@mele:~/# apt-get upgrade
root@mele:~/# apt-get install git

root@mele:~/# mkdir melehacking
root@mele:~/# cd melehacking
root@mele:~/melehacking# git clone git://github.com/rellla/xbmca10.git
root@mele:~/melehacking# apt-get build-dep xbmc
root@mele:~/melehacking# apt-get install swig default-jre cmake libgtk2.0-bin

#install missing extra build dependency (before 1. make)
apt-get install  libssh-4  libssh-dev

root@mele:~/melehacking# apt-get remove libegl1-mesa libegl1-mesa-dev libegl1-mesa-drivers libgles2-mesa

libgles2-mesa-dev

root@mele:~/melehacking# dd if=/dev/zero of=/swap bs=1M count=384
root@mele:~/melehacking# mkswap -c /swap
root@mele:~/melehacking# swapon /swap

root@mele:~/melehacking# cd xbmca10/tools/a10/depends
root@mele:~/melehacking/xbmca10/tools/a10/depends# make
# needed to install wget at this point and retry...(apt-get install wget)

#-->root@mele:/allwinner/xbmc-pvr-bin/lib/xbmc# echo -e "\nA10HWR=1" >> /etc/environment<--
#this line only adds a variable to /etc/environment and doesent need to be executed from this (non-

#existing)path, so:

echo -e "\nA10HWR=1" >> /etc/environment
root@mele:~/melehacking/xbmca10/tools/a10/depends# make -C xbmc
root@mele:~/melehacking/xbmca10/tools/a10/depends# cd ../../../
root@mele:~/melehacking/xbmca10# make install

root@mele:~/melehacking/xbmca10/tools/a10/depends# cd package
root@mele:~/melehacking/xbmca10/tools/a10/depends/package# make

#RUNNING XBMC

#1.Prevent X-server from running

mv /ext/init/lightdm.config /etc/init/lightdm.config.noboot

#Change rights for drivers

chmod 777 /dev/ump
chmod 777 /dev/mali

#reboot once
#startXBMC AS SUDO!

sudo ./allwinner/xbmc-pvr-binhf/lib/xbmc/xbmc.bin

#I got only video output on my tv , not on monitor!!

Regards , Martin

Jarrod

Nov 12, 2012, 1:37:21 AM11/12/12
to cubie...@googlegroups.com

On Monday, November 12, 2012 11:09:00 AM UTC+5:30, Martin Wild wrote:

IT IS WORKING!!!

Awesome!
So, is really a HW accelerated XBMC you got there? 1080p smooth playback? :D

Also, I found a compiled *.deb build for XBMC.
The page below states that "PengPods support XBMC with hardware acceleration for smooth HD video playback." On its website & forums it is also stated that it will support XBMC not onl in Android but also on Linux.
Pengpod and all of its 3 products are based on Allwinner A10 SoC and are of nearly the same specs like the MK80x mini pc's available out there !

IMO this should work :)

If someone can test this out; Get the *.deb from below:

Martin Wild

Nov 12, 2012, 2:36:17 AM11/12/12
to cubie...@googlegroups.com
Yes it is hardware accelerated! The 1080p movie i tried ran most of the time smoothly.only when moving the mouse and the menu is showing up it stutters and th get some pink blur for some seconds. But else no problems.i think this can be tweaked somehow.I also build a package, but i doubt that this can easily be installed on another system. My build system (linaro 12.10 ldm) got modified during the build process....
But i will post a link to it, maybe it works?
When looking at the link you posted you get to the same build instructions on linux-sunxi.org/XBMC as were used by me, so it should be basically the same package.

Another question: does cubieboard xbmc use hdcp? Maybe that's the reason i can't get no picture on my monitor....

Jarrod

Nov 12, 2012, 2:48:45 AM11/12/12
to cubie...@googlegroups.com

Yep, pls do that. And infact if you have access to wiki at linux-sunxi.org you can edit and post your method over there with a few pictures.

When looking at  the link you posted you get to the same build instructions on linux-sunxi.org/XBMC as were used by me, so it should be basically the same package.

Yes, pengpod is effectively using linux-sunxi.org to increase its business :D AFAIK, their developers are the main + point that they have in the market right now..else all is same and is already available in the market..even the hardware..totally!

Another question: does cubieboard xbmc use hdcp? Maybe that's the reason i can't get no picture on my monitor....

 AFAIK, XBMC might have it but that shouldn't be any reason as to why its not showing up on your monitor :|

Keep up the good work!
Regards,
Kanishk

Dmitriy B.

Nov 12, 2012, 7:17:09 AM11/12/12
to cubie...@googlegroups.com
Pink stuff is 2D being unaccelerated and rendered "as is", there's also a section at xbmc page at wiki about "dirty textures", there are some explanations.

2012/11/12 Martin Wild <lilc...@gmail.com>

Dmitriy B.

Nov 12, 2012, 7:18:36 AM11/12/12
to cubie...@googlegroups.com
Cool! You can also participate in VLC testing around here too, I still didnt get it working, may be you will.

Best Regards,
Dmitriy Beykun

Martin Wild

Nov 12, 2012, 9:01:19 AM11/12/12
to cubie...@googlegroups.com
Sounds good, but i have to slow testing a little bit down for a moment. If i do more testing on my cubieboard I'll probably get divorced soon! :-)
I tried vlc too, but only got a crashed lxde stuck at 100% cpu load. I'll stick on xbmc a little more, and see if i can get a package created that installs working on other systems...

Martin Wild

Nov 12, 2012, 10:50:09 AM11/12/12
to cubie...@googlegroups.com
XBMC package for Download

as promised here is a  link to the xbmc package ive created ...

http://ul.to/tj8sfbfq

The host os was a linaro 12.10 Distro with Lightdm and all  the build-crap installed
so dont forget becoming sudo and killing Lightdm before running XBMC ,or it will probably fail to start.

also do once:

chmod 777 /dev/ump
chmod 777 /dev/mali
echo -e "\nA10HWR=1" >> /etc/environment
reboot

then start with :

cd /allwinner/xbmc-pvr-binhf/lib/xbmc
./xbmc.bin

have much fun!

Tom Cubie

Nov 12, 2012, 11:15:15 PM11/12/12
to cubie...@googlegroups.com
Many thanks, Martin.

Keep simple, stay foolish.

Norbert

Dec 12, 2012, 11:42:40 PM12/12/12
to cubie...@googlegroups.com

Thanks for great instructions..  I was able to compile xbmc...

I just have an problem with sound. I'm getting any thought HDMI cable.

is there a library I have to install to get sound working ?  Thanks

Martin Wild

Dec 13, 2012, 2:29:40 AM12/13/12
to cubie...@googlegroups.com
I never tried to get sound over hdmi. With analog output it worked from the beginning.
Have you checked inside xbmc the audio options? You need to switch between analog and hdmi output there.

Regards, Martin

Norbert

Dec 13, 2012, 10:54:13 AM12/13/12
to cubie...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, you are right.. analog works fine.

I also have another question.

when I start xbmc , I can see the command line in the back ground. just blinking away.

do you have the same problem ?

Martin Wild

Dec 13, 2012, 11:52:04 AM12/13/12
to cubie...@googlegroups.com
Yes, thats normal (at least it was on every version ive tried so far).

i wrote a small "script" that  first clears the screen, does some empty echoes to move the cursor down and starts xbmc when the cursor blinks in the middle of the empty screen! :)
(also if you put this into /bin you can start xbmc from anywhere)

Regards, Martin

Norbert

Dec 13, 2012, 12:23:15 PM12/13/12
to cubie...@googlegroups.com

startx to end of  .bashrc and

and

"
#!/bin/bash
exec xbmc --standalone
"
to .xinitrc

yes I just created a link to xbmc.bin and put in /bin thanks for the tip !

I'm learning Linux.. I have ways to go.
and now I have to figure out codex.. some movies didn't play just blue screen.

JonX

Dec 26, 2012, 1:57:03 PM12/26/12
to cubie...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I have managed to compile XBMC following your tutorial.
Unfortunately when I try to run it I receive:
ERROR: Unable to create GUI. Exiting

xbmc.log:
19:45:13 T:1095745536   ERROR: EGL error in InitDisplay: 3003
19:45:13 T:1095745536   ERROR: InitWindowSystem: Could not create display
19:45:13 T:1095745536   FATAL: CApplication::Create: Unable to init windowing system

I'm still searching for the solution but nothing so far.
I would appreciate any hints.

--

J.

Martin Wild

Dec 26, 2012, 2:12:03 PM12/26/12
to cubie...@googlegroups.com
Hmm,Strange!

have you changed the rights to use the drivers?

chmod 777 /dev/ump
chmod 777 /dev/mali

try and check if all required modules are loaded (lsmod) and modprobe eventually missing ones
(see the Original tutorial on http://linux-sunxi.org/XBMC)
also make sure you start from a native shell (not an X terminal) with

/allwinner/xbmc-pvr-binhf/lib/xbmc/xbmc.bin (maybe first cd to /allwinner/xbmc-pvr-binhf/lib/xbmc/ and then launch with ./xbmc.bin

what distro are you using ? ive compiled on linaro and Debian wheezy , and had success on both...

Regards, Martin

JonX

Dec 27, 2012, 5:24:48 PM12/27/12
to cubie...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I double-checked proper rights for all drivers, all required modules and launched it directly from the xbmc dir.
None of these helped. Still the same error message.

My set-up:
Some details:
jonx@cubie:~$ uname -a
Linux cubie 3.0.42-aufs+ #4 PREEMPT Mon Oct 29 17:40:09 CET 2012 armv7l armv7l armv7l GNU/Linux

jonx@cubie
:~$ cat /etc/issue
Linaro 12.11 \n \l

jonx@cubie
:~$ free -m
             total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:           814        248        566          0         43        165
-/+ buffers/cache:         39        775
Swap:            0          0          0

jonx@cubie
:~$ lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
qf9700
8591  0
usbnet
24304  1 qf9700
8192cu                507925  0
mali_drm
2560  0
drm
176724  1 mali_drm
mali
131012  0
ump
42826  1 mali
hdmi
15745  0
lcd
4330  0
disp
241931  3 hdmi,lcd
cfbcopyarea
2915  1 disp
cfbimgblt
2168  1 disp
cfbfillrect
3179  1 disp

jonx@cubie
:~$ df -lh
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/root       7.2G  4.1G  2.8G  60% /
/
dev            406M  4.0K  406M   1% /dev
none             82M  228K   82M   1% /
run
none
5.0M     0  5.0M   0% /run/lock
none
408M     0  408M   0% /run/shm
/dev/mmcblk0p2  7.2G  4.1G  2.8G  60% /media/berryboot
/dev/mmcblk0p1   63M   41M   23M  65% /media/02BC-5AF4

--

J.

JonX

Dec 27, 2012, 5:31:15 PM12/27/12
to cubie...@googlegroups.com
jonx@cubie:~$ mount
/dev/root on / type aufs (rw)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
/dev on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,mode=0755)
none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,noexec,nosuid,gid=5,mode=0620)
none on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
none on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw)
none on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw)
none on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw)
none on /run type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,size=10%,mode=0755)
none on /run/lock type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,size=5242880)
none on /run/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
/dev/mmcblk0p2 on /media/berryboot type ext4 (rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=udisks)
/dev/mmcblk0p1 on /media/02BC-5AF4 type vfat (rw,nosuid,nodev,uid=1000,gid=1000,shortname=mixed,dmask=0077,utf8=1,showexec,uhelper=udisks)

Martin Wild

Dec 28, 2012, 3:31:07 AM12/28/12
to cubie...@googlegroups.com
I really dont know what the problem could be.

have you tried to remove the unneccessary modules from /etc/modules ? And uninstalled the egl-stuff before compiling?
(root@mele:~/melehacking# apt-get remove libegl1-mesa libegl1-mesa-dev libegl1-mesa-drivers libgles2-mesa)
berryboot itself COULD be a problem. i build on native linaro and debian and it worked.

Regards , martin

Dutch

Jan 5, 2013, 4:23:54 AM1/5/13
to cubie...@googlegroups.com
Hi Cubie Folks,

I follow Martin's process to build XBMC, but only have a poor working result. Looking for some hints.
Config: CB-1Gig, Lubuntu Linaro from Berryboo from a fast 16G SDcard.

In general Linaro is already slow. Typing this message, goes slow already. The system about showing one or two words later after I have typed them. However CUP is less than 50 %, as well is memory. I am really surpriced that it is so slow, as I have been a DreamBox user in the past, which had much less specification of real estate.

Experiences during Martin's compiling session:
1- Few typo but no issues.
2- Cannot create a swap. Commands and response:
         linaro@linaro-alip:~$ sudo  swapon /swap
         swapon: /swap: swapon failed: Input/output error
   ...not an issue as in practice 1Gig RAM was sufficient to do the build error free, but still strange.
3- Echo did not work: Command and response:
         linaro@linaro-alip:~$ sudo echo -e "\nA10HWR=1" >> /etc/environment
         bash: /etc/environment: Permission denied
    ...used Leafpad to add "\nA10HWR=1"

Experience when running XBMC:
a- I can start running XBMC without stopping LightDM, However "extreeemly" slow. Also menu's. And when closing XBMC and returning to Linaro desktop the desktop does not come back only where the mouse moves over. Mouse looks like an erasing rubber when in an graphics program. Aslo in XMBC the video colors ar wrong. Looks like 3 bit video.
b- After booting without LightDM, it is faster but still slow. Mouse, menus and video stutter badly. As well the video contaent is of very poor quality (few colors only. Pinkies.).

Any advise from the crowd?

Cheers,
Dutchy

Op vrijdag 9 november 2012 09:02:21 UTC+1 schreef Martin Wild het volgende:
[...]

Martin Wild

Jan 5, 2013, 5:42:52 AM1/5/13
to cubie...@googlegroups.com
Berryboot seems to be not A good choice when trying to build xbmc. I've read another posting where creating the swap fails. The environment comment also worked fine in native linaro/alip and debian wheezy. And you always have to kill any version of x-server before running xbmc (as written in the tutorial) ! Starting xbmc from an native shell is required to have good framerates. Then try to tweak xbmc a bit with the tips from linux-sunxi.org/XBMC and also try to modify your audio settings inside xbmc. (Set audio to 5.1 even if using stereo to prevent xbmc from resampling the audio stream)

Regards, Martin

Dutch

Jan 7, 2013, 1:39:00 PM1/7/13
to cubie...@googlegroups.com
Martin,
Thanks for the reply.
I tried your image "wheezy_xbmc_xampp.img" including writing instruction (dd if=/home/user/mysdcard.img of=/dev/sdb) to SDcard (16G). DD took about half an hour and reported to be successfull.
After writing to SD, two partitions are made: a small FAT and a 4G ext. Rest of the 16G SD is unused.
The ext partition is not mountable on the Linux system  (Ubuntu but not on CB) I used for writing the SD. The FAT part no problem to mount.
Using the SD, CubieBoard does not boot up. Only red LED goes on, but green LED stays of.
Any idea why image is not working? Could I have done something wrong?
Regards,
Evert

Martin Wild

Jan 7, 2013, 2:17:20 PM1/7/13
to cubie...@googlegroups.com
hmm,

it should'nt be like this! the sdcard image is 4Gb in size ,thats right, but you should be able to mount it on any Linux and not just some...
make sure ( $hit just happens! :) you have rebuild the image correctly from the three parts , then untar and write again with:
dd if=/home/myhome/wheezy_xbmc_xampp.img of=/dev/mysdcard bs=1024
writing 4 GB in half an hour to an Sdcard is quite slow (so i guess something went wrong) it should take not more than 10-15 minutes to finish and can be mouted anywhere afterwards.

Regards, martin

Roman Mamedov

Jan 7, 2013, 2:53:58 PM1/7/13
to cubie...@googlegroups.com, crow...@gmail.com
On Sat, 5 Jan 2013 01:23:54 -0800 (PST)
Dutch <crow...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2- Cannot create a swap. Commands and response:
> linaro@linaro-alip:~$ sudo swapon /swap
> swapon: /swap: swapon failed: Input/output error

Did you do "mkswap /swap" before that?

If yes, then my only guess is that your SD card might be defective.

> 3- Echo did not work: Command and response:
> linaro@linaro-alip:~$ sudo echo -e "\nA10HWR=1" >> /etc/environment
> bash: /etc/environment: Permission denied

"sudo echo ... >> some file" will not work as you expect, i.e. it will try to
write the file under the credentials of your normal shell, not "sudo"-ed.

Something like this needs to be used instead:

sudo sh -c "echo ... >> some file"

> a- I can start running XBMC without stopping LightDM, However "extreeemly"
> slow. Also menu's. And when closing XBMC and returning to Linaro desktop
> the desktop does not come back only where the mouse moves over. Mouse looks
> like an erasing rubber when in an graphics program. Aslo in XMBC the video
> colors ar wrong. Looks like 3 bit video.
> b- After booting without LightDM, it is faster but still slow. Mouse, menus
> and video stutter badly. As well the video contaent is of very poor quality
> (few colors only. Pinkies.).
>
> Any advise from the crowd?

Maybe you have your CPU running at 60 MHz?
Try the tweaks from http://linux-sunxi.org/Cpufreq

--
With respect,
Roman

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Stallman had a printer,
with code he could not see.
So he began to tinker,
and set the software free."
signature.asc

Dutch

Jan 8, 2013, 5:39:00 PM1/8/13
to cubie...@googlegroups.com
Hi Martin,
-Put the 3 newly downloaded file together again but now all under Linus iso Windows, but still the second partition (ext) is not mountable.
-Extended the partition wih Gparted from 4Gig to the fill 16G of the SD card, and then is was mountable, and I could see all the files!!
-Updated (via DD) the two U.-boot files for 1Gig-CB version.
-Than SD into CB, however CB still could not boot.
...still stuck.
Any further advice?
Regards,
Dutchy.

Dutch

Jan 8, 2013, 5:40:34 PM1/8/13
to cubie...@googlegroups.com, crow...@gmail.com
Hi Roman,
- The swap directory was made first so not the issue.
- I can reinstall Berryboot in the SD and than running fine again, so SDcard is not broken.
Regards,
Dutchy

Roman Mamedov

Jan 8, 2013, 5:43:13 PM1/8/13
to cubie...@googlegroups.com, crow...@gmail.com
On Tue, 8 Jan 2013 14:40:34 -0800 (PST)
Dutch <crow...@gmail.com> wrote:

> - The swap directory was made first so not the issue.

/swap should not be a directory, it must be a file of the size that you want
your swap to be (e.g. a 1 gigabyte file).
signature.asc

Dutch

Jan 8, 2013, 5:51:55 PM1/8/13
to cubie...@googlegroups.com, crow...@gmail.com
... sorry yes , I had made it as a file.

JonX

Jan 10, 2013, 4:38:15 PM1/10/13
to cubie...@googlegroups.com

berryboot itself COULD be a problem. i build on native linaro and debian and it worked.

Seems to be right.
I've tried with native linaro but this time I'm stuck at 'make'.
Apparently Mali_OpenGL_SDK is no longer available.

root@cubie:/melehacking/xbmca10/tools/a10/depends# make
(...)
wget --no-check-certificate http://malideveloper.com/files/Mali_OpenGL_ES_2.0_SDK_for_Linux_On_ARM_v1.2.0.9310_Linux.tar.gz -O /home/jonx/tarballs/Mali_OpenGL_ES_2.0_SDK_for_Linux_On_ARM_v1.2.0.9310_Linux.tar.gz
Resolving malideveloper.com (malideveloper.com)... 217.140.108.97
Connecting to malideveloper.com (malideveloper.com)|217.140.108.97|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 301 Moved Permanently
Location: http://malideveloper.arm.com/ [following]
--2013-01-10 21:34:09--  http://malideveloper.arm.com/
Resolving malideveloper.arm.com (malideveloper.arm.com)... 109.228.31.43
Connecting to malideveloper.arm.com (malideveloper.arm.com)|109.228.31.43|:80... connected.
Length: unspecified [text/html]
Saving to: `/home/jonx/tarballs/Mali_OpenGL_ES_2.0_SDK_for_Linux_On_ARM_v1.2.0.9310_Linux.tar.gz'

    [  <=>                                                                                                                                     ] 52,176       162K/s   in 0.3s

2013-01-10 21:34:10 (162 KB/s) - `/home/jonx/tarballs/Mali_OpenGL_ES_2.0_SDK_for_Linux_On_ARM_v1.2.0.9310_Linux.tar.gz' saved [52176]

rm -rf tmp include
mkdir tmp
(       cd tmp &&\
                tar xvfz /home/jonx/tarballs/Mali_OpenGL_ES_2.0_SDK_for_Linux_On_ARM_v1.2.0.9310_Linux.tar.gz &&\
                cd Mali_OpenGL_ES_2.0_SDK_for_Linux_On_ARM_v1.2.0 &&\
                mv inc ../../include &&\
                cp simple-framework/inc/mali/EGL/fbdev_window.h ../../include/EGL &&\
                cd ../../ &&\
                rm -r tmp &&\
                chmod -R ugo+r include &&\
                chmod ugo+x include include/* &&\
                chmod ugo-x include/*/*.h \
        )

gzip: stdin: not in gzip format
tar: Child returned status 1
make[1]: *** [.include] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/melehacking/xbmca10/tools/a10/depends/opengles'
make: *** [all] Error 2

Downloaded tar.gz file is some html that is generated by the new site malideveloper.arm.com.

Any ideas how to deal with this? :)

JonX

Jan 10, 2013, 4:42:22 PM1/10/13
to cubie...@googlegroups.com

JonX

Jan 11, 2013, 4:33:15 PM1/11/13
to cubie...@googlegroups.com
Finally I succeeded and have XBMC working properly.
Martin, big thanks for your guidance!

Martin Wild

Jan 11, 2013, 4:53:18 PM1/11/13
to cubie...@googlegroups.com
I'm glad i could help a little bit !

but i also followed someone elses instructions, so if you really want to thank someone , do it to Dmitriy B.
anyways have much fun toying with your new mediaplayer! :)

Regards, Martin
Message has been deleted

Jose Angel López Otero

Jan 14, 2013, 11:24:35 AM1/14/13
to cubie...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Someone has deleted my last message (https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/cubieboard/AIXGspxm05s/0W8KKBIIwZcJ). Why?  :(

In short: after running XBMC on my Cubieboard (1GB version) my rootfs becomes corrupted. Rootfs is located into a SD card or a SATA disk (I've tried both options). Any idea what's happening?

Regards, Jose

Dutch

Jan 14, 2013, 12:50:50 PM1/14/13
to cubie...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

Me back again after some further try-outs:

1) I bought an 4G SDcard (just to be sure that my 16G SDcard would not be the trouble)  and followed the process to put the image (XBMC) from Martin on again. Unfortunately same result. The ext partition does not mount, and when I use Gparted to recsize it a little bit, than it is mountable. Than apply the 1G u-boot (tried it both on sdb and sdb1). Unfortunately CB still does not boot up; no HDMI output at all.

2) Just playing around with the pre-installed Android on the NAND, to see if CB is okay. Following scenarios done:
a) Installed XBMC Android App from "xbmc.org" website. It works, however video is played very slowly, so I expect in S/W mode.
b) MX Player could be alternative for me as front-end to the NAS. Installed MX Player, and it runs smooth in HW mode. Only problem is I cannot play from NAS (even not via mounted share), so also not a solution to use.
c) Installed XBMC from "xbmcandroid.com". XBMC runs smooth in hardware mode, except it cannot handle surround 5.1 over HDMI. So also not an option. However interesting to see is that H/W vs S/W mode is selectable in the playing screen.

Conclusion: Stuck, cannot use CB as media player to my NAS :-(. Only am able to install Linux via Berryboot.

Questions: Anybody has another idea how I can install a Linux image on my CB, other than Berryboot, so I can complie XBMC on it?

Jose Angel López Otero

Jan 15, 2013, 3:44:04 AM1/15/13
to cubie...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dutchy,

I've followed process described in https://groups.google.com/forum/#!category-topic/cubieboard/ubuntu/hKJgJneGVmQ to install linaro into a SD card. After that you can compile XBMC ;)

But after playing a video (at least in my environment) rootfs becomes corrupted. Could you please reproduce this steps to confirm this behaviour?

Regards, Jose

Gábor Papp

Jan 20, 2013, 10:57:13 AM1/20/13
to cubie...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dutchy,

I have a NAS with SMB shares which I mounted with the app called CIFS Manager to CB running Android from NAND. I could access and play back movies with MX Player after adding the mounted location to playlist sources. HW decoding of video works for me, however I had to disable HW audio decoding to have something on HDMI output. Unfortunately it provides only stereo output.

Regards,
Gabor