CTFEDs at Open Design CT, help needed

Shaun O'Connell

Aug 12, 2013, 1:01:48 PM8/12/13
to CTFEDs
Hi CTFEDs,

As you may know, Open Design Cape Town is happening from the 21st till the 31st of August.
We're planning an event for the festival where we Front-end Developers can share our knowledge and experience with the design community.

We need some help: we want you to get involved.
  • We're looking for volunteers who can offer hands-on help, answer technical questions from the visitors, and guide the visitors through a number of exercises we have in mind. These exercises will be technical in nature, on topics you should be familiar with: HTML, CSS, JavaScript, cross-browserness, etc.
  • You should ideally bring your own laptop along for the day and be OK with visitors using it under your supervision. (1-on-1 sessions will have the best impact for our visitors!)

What's in it for you?
  • An excellent chance to promote your skills as a freelancer.
  • Learn a little from other volunteers.
  • Meet people from the design community.
  • Giving back to the community is good for the soul. :)

A little background
  • The event is scheduled for Sunday the 25th of August, between 9:30am and 5pm.
  • The event will primarily be a hands-on session, much like a hackathon, but we have talks and other activities planned too.
  • We'll have a large space available in one of the rooms in City Hall.
  • Steve Barnett is going to bring the Nomad Device Lab along so we can see the impact of our work on various mobile devices, do some testing and troubleshooting.
  • The audience will consist of casual visitors (who've come to check out the exhibitions and talks at City Hall on the day) and people we contact via mailing lists, the meetup group, tweets and the relevant events pages.
  • Visitors will be encouraged to bring their own laptops and come armed with HTML/CSS questions.
  • The event is free to attend as usual and is run on a volunteer basis.

If you have any questions, ideas or comments, please send me a mail or respond to this thread.

Thanks!
Shaun, Justin, Steve, Alex, and Le Roux

Gavin

Aug 16, 2013, 11:48:22 AM8/16/13