What should be the output of HW3 Q2?

ruanqizhen

Mar 8, 2013, 4:15:30 PM3/8/13
to cs6...@googlegroups.com
code? or just formulas?
use a specific example?  or general descriptions?

Joseph Burley

Mar 11, 2013, 7:23:03 PM3/11/13
to cs6...@googlegroups.com
It looks to me as though he wants us to pick random values for p, r, and pi. Then, we should use those values to generate 1000 sequences of 10 coin flips (10,000 flips altogether). Then we give the sequences of flips to an EM algorithm (I thought at first we could use the algorithm in problem 1, but I think we need a specifically Bernoulli variant to do problem 2) and see how close to our starting values for p, r, and pi we get back. Then we should create a table with the starting and finishing values for p, r, and pi and compare how close they were for different p, r, and pi.

This is my understanding; I could be incorrect.

cs15...@gmail.com

Mar 12, 2013, 1:36:26 PM3/12/13
to cs6...@googlegroups.com
I am interested in you guys running the process
1) generate he sequences
2) use EM to recover the p,r, pi

You can produce a final table with input values, out put values, and EM stuff (number of iterations, convergence etc). Best reports will be the ones that state a (brief)  intuition/ analysis of why EM works or not, why did it takes X iterations, etc.