accessibility of CS Unplugged activities

Tim Bell

Jun 12, 2015, 11:40:39 PM6/12/15
to cs-unplugg...@googlegroups.com

Dear Colleagues,

We'd really appreciate your input if you've had any involvement with accessibility and the CS Unplugged activities.

This has been discussed at the Access10K National Capacity Building Institute, Baltimore, MD, January 23-24, 2015 and in "Marghitu, D, Bell, Tim, et-al.: "Using Virtual Worlds to Engage Typical and Special Needs Students in Kinesthetic Computer Science Activities: A Computer Science Unplugged Case Study", AACE ED-MEDIA 2009, Honolulu, Hawaii, June 22-26, 2009" and " Bell, T., Marghitu, D., et-al.: "Kinesthetic Computer Science activities in a virtual world", SIGCSE 2009, Chattanooga, TN, March 4-7, 2009".

Daniela and I would like to continue our work in making CS Unplugged activities inclusive for a wide range of disabilities.

We are launching a new project focused on maximizing the accessibility of the core CS Unplugged activities included in the new CS curricula (e.g. CS Principles, Exploring CS, GUTS, etc.).  We kindly ask your participation in the following survey which will provide us the needed information to prepare the preliminary documents for our new project:

https://auburn.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_ahqC57K7GJKBxUF

Participants' name and email will be used ONLY to for follow up and all participant their details will be kept private.

Thanking you in advance for your time and collaboration,

Daniela and Tim

Mr O'Donnell

Jun 16, 2015, 8:16:48 AM6/16/15
to cs-unplugg...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tim,

I have used the binary and search activities with my year 4/5 class and group of trainee student teachers.

The binary activity was very effective for both to visualise and interact with.

The search activities did illustrate the different types of searches and their respective benefits or weaknesses.

The materials had to be adjusted for the children for them to access age 8-10.

Stephen

Tim Bell

Jun 28, 2015, 3:24:30 PM6/28/15
to cs-unplugg...@googlegroups.com
A quick reminder - if you've had any experience or ideas around using CS Unplugged with students who have accessibility problems (in the broadest sense), could you please take 5 minutes to complete this survey?

Many thanks,
Tim Bell and Daniela Marghitu