Fwd: Lights and Drums: an unplugged-style activity

george boukeas

Nov 21, 2013, 6:30:25 PM11/21/13
to cs-unplugg...@googlegroups.com
Lights and Drums is an unplugged-style activity that focuses on
representations and the physical carrier of information.

Participants are divided in groups and each group transmits a message
to the others, using a different code (known to the recipients) and a
different communication medium. The aim is to associate
representations that employ the symbols 0 and 1 with other, more
familiar, binary representations, thus establishing a view of the
former as yet another binary representation. An equally important goal
is to highlight the physical form of information in the systems that
transmit, store or process this information.

The activity .pdf can be downloaded at: http://goo.gl/jwBgKI. It
describes in detail the goals and the rationale behind the activity,
provides a step-by-step walkthrough of the activity itself and
includes worksheets and complete sample handouts, so that it can be
used "out of the box".

A greek version can be found at http://goo.gl/I3tbBy.

I hope you find this useful. Feedback and comments are most welcome.

-- George Boukeas

YunJae Jang

Nov 28, 2013, 9:23:28 PM11/28/13
to cs-unplugg...@googlegroups.com, george boukeas
1.
Hi all!

Thank you for your sharing unplugged activity!

I’ll try to reading and using your unplugged activity.

I hope that I will give you feedback about lights and drums activity.

--
Sincerely,
YunJae Jang / about.me/janggoon

Irina Karina

Nov 29, 2013, 2:49:03 PM11/29/13
to cs-unplugg...@googlegroups.com
cs-unplugged

Irina Karina

Nov 29, 2013, 2:50:36 PM11/29/13
to cs-unplugg...@googlegroups.com

2013/11/29 Irina Karina <ika...@gmail.com>
Белошистая А. - Математика вокруг тебя. Методические рекомендации (Математика для дошкольников) - 2007.pdf

george boukeas

Jan 28, 2014, 4:57:39 PM1/28/14
to cs-unplugg...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone. I am attaching updated versions of the Lights and
Drums activity (in both English and Greek). There are some minor
modifications in both, and a correction to the greek Huffman code.

By the way, the "Image representation and data transfer" activity
posted on this list a while ago by the CErrobotics team would make an
excellent follow-up activity to this one.

-- George Boukeas.
lights and drums.el.pdf
lights and drums.en.pdf