CS Unplugged, SIGCSE and new videos

Tim Bell

Jan 24, 2011, 4:31:55 PM1/24/11
to cs-unplugg...@googlegroups.com
SIGCSE (http://www.sigcse.org/sigcse2011/) is one of the largest conferences
where you'll see the latest CS education research, and CS Unplugged will be
there as usual!

Fees for the conference are lower if you register by the end of this month.

A few of us (Tim Bell, Bengt Aspvall, Daniela Marghitu and Lynn Lambert)
will be running a CS Unplugged workshop for those who want to find out what
it is about (it's a beginners' workshop, not for those who have been using
it for a while).
http://db.grinnell.edu/sigcse/sigcse2011/Program/Program.asp

There are also a couple of videos that have been accepted for the conference
- you can see them on YouTube at:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVPCT1VjySA (Santa's dirty socks)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-v4Awj_p7g (Reaching out - binary codes)

Even if you're not attending, the latter video contains a great challenge
for students to decode messages in binary. No-one has claimed a prize yet
for decoding it. The student who tested it for me took about 3 hours, so it
is quite a job, but well worth it. I'll send an Unplugged t-shirt to the
first student who decodes it!

Cheers,
Tim Bell

This email may be confidential and subject to legal privilege, it may
not reflect the views of the University of Canterbury, and it is not
guaranteed to be virus free. If you are not an intended recipient,
please notify the sender immediately and erase all copies of the message
and any attachments.

Please refer to http://www.canterbury.ac.nz/emaildisclaimer for more
information.