Do you love CS Unplugged! So do we. Come to CMSC 2018.

Fran Rosamond

Feb 4, 2018, 8:04:11 PM2/4/18
to cs-unplugg...@googlegroups.com, Fran Rosamond
Do you love CS Unplugged! So do we. Come to CMSC 2018.

4th Creative Mathematical Sciences Communication (CMSC 2018) conference
Location: Wellington, New Zealand at The Learning Connexion (TLC)
Dates: 21–23 July 2018
Website: www.csmc.nz
See also the announcement in: http://scholarship.claremont.edu/jhm/

Join scientists, researchers, teachers and artists in developing new ways of communicating mathematical and computational thinking. Welcome are contributions in art forms such as dance, graphic art, theatre ... many more ways to communicate science to the public. The conference will feature keynote talks by leading researchers and communicators in the mathematical sciences, sharing their experience, new initiatives and ideas.

The CMSC conference series was initiated in 2013 with considerable support from Google. The aim is to explore new ways of communicating mathematical sciences, focusing on algorithmic and computational thinking. The impulse is to build on materials and activities such as Computer Science Unplugged (www.csunplugged.org). The CMSC 2018 is special because it is being hosted at New Zealand's leading art institute, The Learning Connexion (TLC). We will be in the company of the institute's artists as we explore the possibilities.

New Zealand and many other countries are now including computational thinking in their curricula. Exploring the envelope of creative mathematical sciences communication is a vital part of these efforts. A goal of CMSC 2018 is to produce ten more Computer Science Unplugged activities as good as the iconic Sorting Network.

CONGRATULATIONS TO TIM BELL (Univ of Canterbury) awarded the 2018 SIGCSE Award for Outstanding Contribution to Computer Science Education. Tim is a Keynote Speaker at CMSC.

Note: An FPT Parameterized Complexity research Workshop will adjoin CMSC.

The 2018 CMSC will be a great and fun opportunity.

Welcome all. See you there!

Program Co-Chairs
Jonathan Milne and Alice Wilson Milne, TLC Art Institute
Frances Rosamond, Institute for Informatics, University of Bergen Email: frances....@uib.no