New Unplugged activity - codes in songs

Tim Bell

Oct 1, 2010, 2:08:13 PM10/1/10
to cs-unplugg...@googlegroups.com
Dear Unplugged group,

I've uploaded a draft of a new activity, which is based on some songs by a
professional singer that extend the modem activity (bits are represented by
pitches).

Any feedback on the draft version would be very welcome; I plan to finalise
it by mid October. In the meantime, please don't distribute the mp3 files
too widely; if they need changing, it would be best not to have two versions
around!

The new material is on the "files" area of the Google group (see links at
the bottom of this message).

The activity description is called modem.pdf

The mp3 files are called ModemMP3filesEnglish.zip and
ModemMP3filesChinese.zip

There's also a video coming soon that has even more decoding challenges in
it!

Enjoy,
Tim Bell

This email may be confidential and subject to legal privilege, it may
not reflect the views of the University of Canterbury, and it is not
guaranteed to be virus free. If you are not an intended recipient,
please notify the sender immediately and erase all copies of the message
and any attachments.

Please refer to http://www.canterbury.ac.nz/emaildisclaimer for more
information.

Matthew Steinberg

Oct 1, 2010, 3:14:46 PM10/1/10
to cs-unplugg...@googlegroups.com
The concept sounds great, however I can't access the English set.

-Matt

Susumu Kanemune

Oct 1, 2010, 8:37:37 PM10/1/10
to cs-unplugg...@googlegroups.com, kane...@acm.org
Thank you. I downloaded from this URL.
http://www.cosc.canterbury.ac.nz/tim.bell/modem-tmp/

These are perfect songs, not coded data!

// Susumu Kanemune, Professor
// Osaka Electro-Communication University, Japan

Toshiyuki Kamada

Oct 1, 2010, 8:49:26 PM10/1/10
to cs-unplugg...@googlegroups.com
Good Morning, Kanemune-sensei,

> Thank you. I downloaded from this URL.
> http://www.cosc.canterbury.ac.nz/tim.bell/modem-tmp/
>
> These are perfect songs, not coded data!

I agree with you!
And now I'm trying to translate the article in Japanese to introduce
your (including me) csunplugged community in Japan.

Toshiyuki Kamada

Oct 1, 2010, 10:33:50 PM10/1/10
to cs-unplugg...@googlegroups.com
> And now I'm trying to translate the article in Japanese to introduce
> your (including me) csunplugged community in Japan.

Japanese translation has done and the only the text is now available
for registered users in Kanemune-sensei's Moodle site.
This site is discussed only in Japanese and the hub of the csunplugged
community in Japan.

Some people soon offered some ideas of arranging for Japanese culture.
The discussion has started.

One of the fun idea is to put the vocal an "Vocaloid":)
If you do not know well the "Vocaloid" and "Hatsune-Miku", please dig YouTube.

Tim Bell

Oct 4, 2010, 5:34:10 AM10/4/10
to cs-unplugg...@googlegroups.com
That's great...

The idea of using a Vocaloid for this is intriguing --- the computer does
the artistic part (singing), and the human does the mechanical part
(decoding binary messages). A bit of a role reversal! But all in the cause
of education.

cheers,
tim