Update to CS Unplugged website

Tim Bell

Mar 5, 2015, 1:35:00 PM3/5/15
to cs-unplugg...@googlegroups.com
This week we've released the updated version of the Unplugged website. It includes the new logo, improved layout, and importantly, it's a lot easier for us to update now!

The update is gradually propagating around the internet, so for another day or so some people may still see the old version.

We still have a backlog of details to work on for it, but in the meantime, if you notice anything that we've broken in the upgrade, please let me know :-)

Tim Bell
University of Canterbury
New Zealand

Yu Su

Mar 5, 2015, 5:38:21 PM3/5/15
to cs-unplugg...@googlegroups.com
Cool! The updated website looks beautiful and professional!

Yu Su

Phd student
Compiler Research Group
School of Computer Science and Engineering
University of New South Wales
Sydney, NSW, 2052, Australia

Sally-Ann Williams

Mar 5, 2015, 5:39:56 PM3/5/15
to cs-unplugg...@googlegroups.com
Looks amazing.  Congrats!!!!
Sally-Ann Williams
Engineering Community & Outreach Manager
Google

CONFIDENTIALITY. This communication is intended only for the use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain information that is privileged and confidential.  If you are not the intended recipient, please note that any dissemination of this communication is prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error, please erase all copies of the message, including all attachments, and please also notify the sender immediately.  Thank you for your cooperation.

Maria Beatrice Rapaccini

Mar 6, 2015, 2:36:31 PM3/6/15
to cs-unplugg...@googlegroups.com
Great!
The design looks so modern (the old one gives us the idea CS unplugged was something ancient...)
Thank you

Luciano Barreto

Mar 6, 2015, 2:58:14 PM3/6/15
to cs-unplugg...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tim and everybody

God news ! The website is great !

BTW, do we need to update the book translations according to the new version ?

Best regards

Luciano Barreto - Portuguese Translator

Tim Bell

Mar 6, 2015, 3:12:31 PM3/6/15
to cs-unplugg...@googlegroups.com
Thanks!

Regarding new translations...

There is one new activity, which you might want to translate (the tablets
of stone).

Most of the other changes are isolated to a few paragraphs, and have been
made to improve clarity. The original translators may well have addressed
this anyway - it's not really a change in content, just wording.

One general change throughout the book is replacing "child" with
"student", which in NZ (at least) is the more usual way to refer to the
students now. Again, that may well have already been adjusted for local
culture, and may not make any difference to most readers.

The other bigger changes are the new logo, updated headers and footers for
the CC licence, updated introduction and the new numbering of chapters
because of the new activity.

So... someday it would be nice to get those updated in the translations,
but it's probably not going to have a big impact on the readers. Also, now
that we have better version tracking, we may make some small changes if we
get feedback on the updated book, so it could be worth waiting a month or
two in case that results in some further updates.

regards,
Tim Bell

On 7/03/15 8:58 am, "Luciano Barreto" <luciano.po...@gmail.com>