The Boy Scouts of America's Computer Merit Badge

B. Estrade

Feb 28, 2011, 12:51:11 PM2/28/11
to cs-unplugg...@googlegroups.com
My name is Brett Estrade and my primary interest in CS Unplugged is to
provide a rich set of activities and instructions for CMB counselors.
Without a doubt, CS Unplugged is the best resource I've found so far.

I was wondering, are there any other CMB counselors on the list. I
know this is an international effort, so I do not want to exclude
Scouters in other countries. If your country's Scouting effort
includes a computer related badge or even if you're happy using the
BSA's requirements, I'd be happy to hear from you. If so, please email
me off list.

Eventually, I'd like to create a guide for counselors to use for not
only "teaching" to the merit badge requirements, but providing
activities and information that will benefit the youth Scouts far more
substantially than the inadequate information contained in the
merit badge pamphlet or doing minimal work to meet the requirements
could.

Requirements for the badge can be seen at:

http://usscouts.org/mb/mb036.asp

The requirements are very general and the potential to complete them
minimally without benefit to the Scout is great - especially if the
counselor is unable to think very deeply about what they could cover.

I'd also like to, eventually, provide a set of "additional"
requirements that Scouts could use to augment the exposure to
computers/computing they do get from the badge. This is especially
important since the requirements must be accessible to Scouts of all
interests and abilities - but we should all know that the ones who
suffer here are those Scouts who are so interested and capable with
computers that they could easily get bored and discouraged about the
area from a badge that should introduce to them ways to explore their
passion. Because, at the end of the day, merit badges also serve the
purpose of introducing Scouts to potential interests that could lead
to rewarding careers and activities.

Thank you,
Brett

--