CS-Unplugged workshop in Tokyo

Susumu Kanemune

Aug 2, 2010, 10:46:42 AM8/2/10
to cs-unplugg...@googlegroups.com, kane...@gmail.com
Hello, last weekend, we had a CS unplugged workshop.
Over one hundred children learned and played about computer science.
This is the third workshop.
This year, we used two activities: sorting algorithms and sorting networks.

These are our photos. We made a very large network sheet. Enjoy!
http://picasaweb.google.co.jp/susumu.kanemune/CsunpluggedKidsEventInTokyo31August2010?authkey=Gv1sRgCJfq99nG2cnmNA#

// Susumu Kanemune, Professor
// Osaka Electro-Communication University, Japan

Toshiyuki Kamada

Aug 3, 2010, 8:48:51 PM8/3/10
to cs-unplugg...@googlegroups.com
I'd like to an additional comment on the Workshop held in Tokyo.

Why instructors (teachers) wear the astronauts' suit? Because they
prepare the story for introducing the necessity of "sorting".

The instructors are space scientists for researching the origin of
the Universe, and in order to reveal that, they are collecting a sort
of space "rocks", but suddenly, there was a trouble of crushing to
another spaceship, then the collected "rocks" were straggled out over
the lab. The "rocks" were able to identify with their weights. So,
let's the rocks put in order on the table from lighter one to the
heavier one.

That's the story. How about it? ;)

2010/8/2, Susumu Kanemune <kane...@gmail.com>:

Toshiyuki Kamada

Aug 3, 2010, 10:51:58 PM8/3/10
to cs-unplugg...@googlegroups.com
Sorry for adding another comment...

Before representing this workshop, eve year, we are making tough
preparation by discussing both on-line and face-to-face a lot of time
due to the staff are distributed over Japan. The startup is around
from early in April.

To this workshop be fruitfully, we always keep in mind that the
participant school childlen must find out and overcome the task of
activity by themselves.

Also this year, children try to find a right way of sorting and
improve into the better way with a support of the professional teacher
or professor sit in each table.

Amazingly, one group find the right way of merge sort at first! And,
there was another group try to find merge sort by themselves. Of
course, the most possible patterns are finding a selection sort first,
and the insertion sort next. --Children are randomly selected 10-12
years old pupils from applied via web form primally announced in some
newspapers.

This workshop are held by supporting professional staff in Fujitsu
corp. (famous in electric appliances) In the member, there is a
professional designer. He designed all materials hand to children
such as T-shuts, cards for thinking algorithms, instructor's costume,
and decoration of all in the venue. With his creative work, the venue
was decorated as a spaceship lab. There also placed lots of
balloon-art to fit the image of space by another staff.

As written in above, dozens of school teachers, professors, voluntary
university students , and professional staff from Fujitsu Corp. Are
collaborated.

Tim Bell

Aug 4, 2010, 5:02:39 AM8/4/10
to cs-unplugg...@googlegroups.com
Thanks everyone for sharing that - it looks like a very well organised
event, and I hope the photos inspire others to run similar events!

Regards,
Tim Bell

This email may be confidential and subject to legal privilege, it may
not reflect the views of the University of Canterbury, and it is not
guaranteed to be virus free. If you are not an intended recipient,
please notify the sender immediately and erase all copies of the message
and any attachments.

Please refer to http://www.canterbury.ac.nz/emaildisclaimer for more
information.

Toshiyuki Kamada

Aug 5, 2010, 7:18:29 AM8/5/10
to cs-unplugg...@googlegroups.com
Hi, again.

Thank you so much for appreciating our event, Tim.

Now, the official report from Fujitsu staff is available.

It is written in Japanese, but by using Google Translate, most part of
the text looks like well in English.

Followings are the pages:

(Main page)
http://translate.google.co.jp/translate?hl=ja&sl=ja&tl=en&u=http://jp.fujitsu.com/about/kids/events/20100731/report.html