Text compression

Franklin Weng

Feb 4, 2016, 2:39:15 AM2/4/16
to cs-unplugg...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

The activity 3, about the text compression, the activity name is "You can say that again!"  I looked it up on the internet and found that it is an idiom meaning that I agree you very much, like "I can't agree with you anymore."  But I couldn't connect it with the text compression.  Could you please tell me why you name the activity with it?  Now I translated it directly, but I still feel strange.

Thanks,
Franklin
--
Sent from my phone

Tim Bell

Feb 4, 2016, 2:18:51 PM2/4/16
to cs-unplugg...@googlegroups.com
I've replied in more detail to Franklin offline, but this is an interesting aspect of translation: some things will have to be changed because they don't make sense in translation, especially jokes and idioms like this one. For this reason we don't expect the translation to be precise.

Of course, the main example of something that doesn't translate well is the world "Unplugged"! In a lot of languages it translates to something like "without power" or "failed", which isn't the impression we want to give.

cheers,
tim

Toshiyuki Kamada

Feb 8, 2016, 2:05:36 AM2/8/16
to cs-unplugg...@googlegroups.com
We translated it with a nuance of "You said it last time!" in Japanese.

--Toshi

Franklin Weng

Feb 8, 2016, 3:01:18 AM2/8/16
to cs-unplugg...@googlegroups.com

I changed the translation to "Data express delivery" in Chinese (and used Japanese kanji "宅急便" for the "express delivery" since it's a popular term after the animation movie "Kiki and Gigi's express delivery" :))

--
Sent from my phone