Moving off Google Groups

Tony Arcieri

Aug 10, 2013, 12:51:49 AM8/10/13
to crypto...@googlegroups.com, crypto...@librelist.com
Several people have expressed concerns with this project using Google Groups. Today I searched for a way to subscribe to the list without creating a Google Account and I discovered there wasn't one. Mea culpa!

I'd suggest moving the list to librelist. I've created a list here:

The main thing I wanted out of Google Groups was a nice email archive. It seems like librelist's mail archives are working again.

All in favor of moving?

--
Tony Arcieri

Stanislav Sedov

Aug 10, 2013, 1:04:12 AM8/10/13
to crypto...@googlegroups.com, crypto...@librelist.com
Sounds good. Although, personally, I'm not concerned with the problem of making a Google account,
I see it can be a problem for a lot of people.

The funny thing that the only thing I _dislike_ about Google Groups is UI. :) I guess they
have something from everybody. :)

--
ST4096-RIPE

Bernd Ahlers

Aug 10, 2013, 3:17:50 AM8/10/13
to crypto...@googlegroups.com, crypto...@librelist.com
Hey Tony,

Tony Arcieri [Fri, Aug 09, 2013 at 09:51:49PM -0700] wrote:
>Several people have expressed concerns with this project using Google
>Groups. Today I searched for a way to subscribe to the list without
>creating a Google Account and I discovered there wasn't one. Mea culpa!

there is a way to subscribe to Google Groups without a Google Account.
Sending an email to cryptospher...@googlegroups.com works.

You can also find it in the mail headers:

<mailto:cryptospher...@googlegroups.com>

(which you only see once you get mails from the group...)

I'm fine with librelist.com.

Regards,
Bernd

Ron Gross

Aug 10, 2013, 5:38:29 AM8/10/13
to crypto...@googlegroups.com, crypto...@librelist.com
Personally I think that Google Groups are the best solution nowadays for such mailing lists. The archives are essential.
Creating a google account isn't such a huge pain - people could create one and just use it for this mailing list ... what's the big deal?

If you're thinking of alternatives, I would suggest http://discourse.org/

You can easily host it on heroku (the free tier should suffice I believe).

Ron Gross
Co-Founder & CEO @ bitBlu
YourBitBot    |    bitli.st    |    bitblu.com    |    ripper234.com
Schedule my time at meetme.so/RonGross

Ron Gross

Tony Arcieri

Aug 10, 2013, 2:43:23 PM8/10/13
to crypto...@googlegroups.com
Haha, I forgot about the info in the message footer. I should add those instructions to the README.

Given that, I think keeping the primary mailing list on Google Groups is OK.

Tony Arcieri

Stanislav Sedov

Aug 10, 2013, 4:50:17 PM8/10/13
to crypto...@googlegroups.com

On Aug 10, 2013, at 2:39 AM, Ron Gross <ron....@gmail.com> wrote:

> In any case, if the list is officially moved, I suggest posting specific instructions (I don't currently understand how to subscribe).

There are instructions on subscription just at the front page of librelist.
Sending any message to the list subscribes you to it. It is actually very
consistent with all the other lists software out there (although in this case
you don't have to provide the "subscribe" keyword -- the text can be anything).

Regardless, it's not that important at all where the list is. I'd suggest Tony
to pick one he prefers.

--
ST4096-RIPE

Martin Vahi

Sep 22, 2015, 6:52:04 AM9/22/15
to cryptosphere, crypto...@librelist.com

laupäev, 10. august 2013 12:38.29 UTC+3 kirjutas Ron Gross:
Personally I think that Google Groups are the best solution nowadays for such mailing lists. The archives are essential.
Creating a google account isn't such a huge pain - people could create one and just use it for this mailing list ... what's the big deal?

If you're thinking of alternatives, I would suggest http://discourse.org/

I'm a little bit sorry for my tone right now, but MY GOD, You people are developing
an anti-censorship software and  falling for the comfort and features of one of
the most prominent privacy violators!!!

Case You are wondering, why did I dare to join this mailing list at all,
specially given that the tor developers are being actively harassed
and it's smart to keep one's distance from people,
who prefer to be extra listed at some "hacker conference"
by the least intelligent lot of the employees of various
"No Such Agencies", then the answer is that my activity
has been quite public for quite some time and I want
the developers of this project to be aware of the
following, very simplistic, specification (that I self wrote):

The home page of my project, Silktorrent, can be reached by
the redirection of the address

The Cryptosphere would be one tunnel out of many for Silktorrent. What regards
to an alternative to the Google Groups, then I recommend

It has a "mailing list" feature. It's main down-side is an out-dated GUI that piles all messages to a single flow, but that can probably be tolerated to some extent. To keep the messages flowing, a client that can decrypt the mailing list messages must be running 24/7 and I do not promise that I keep the

BM-NBeUK5LXQUs4RzaLHdWYym8AwsWUZQ23

working, but it is one possible alternative.
Given the similarities between the Cryptosphere and Silktorrent,
I offer a mailing list service

namely:

from my personal web page account. My home page has been hosted by
an Estonian hosting service,

for years and I'm very satisfied with their service. (I do not work there, nor do they
pay me to advertise them, not to mention the fact that they do not
even have an English page, because they target only the small Estonian market.)
free to use it, for years. It has a public archive:

All hosted by the veebimajutus.ee, so that e-mail list
will probably stay up with really good reliability. Also, a thing
to note is that the servers reside outside of the U.S., in Estonia.
The bad news is that Estonia is a poodle of the U.S. and
has its own censorship issues, as I have described at

not to mention the great power that U.S. corporations
can have:

but, I do say that Estonian hosting services are far better
and far more reliable than German or U.S. hosting services.
That's mainly because the Estonian law enforcement is not funded
that well and the politicians understand that if they start
messing with the various internet service related parties too
heavily, then that has practical, economic, consequences
that will hit tax revenue. A black humor is that some
hosting service providers specialize on providing
hosting service to Saint Petersburg companies by
advertizing themselves as being "high quality hosting
provider right at the other side of the Russian border,
outside of the Putin's reach, in European Union".

So, add to the mix the fact that Snowden needed to
flee to Russia to expose the atrocities of Washington, yet
the creator of Russian Facebook had to flee FROM Russia,
because

and to make things even more interesting, people have
had to fee even from Switzerland to the U.S.

The fact that a Russian propaganda channel criticises
the brits, I think rightfully, for working on a total ban on
strong crypto

while even the weak crypto, including the one used
in old cellphones has been officially banned in Russia
for decades, just adds color to the mix.

So the only chance seems to be to play on the inability
of different governments to cooperate, use InterPol, because
clearly, with the oppinions of the EU leaders, there is no
place on planet Earth left, where the top government officials
would actually accept free press, privacy, the use of cryptography.

Well, thank You for reading and I hope that the e-mail list that
I have created, will be useful. Technically speaking, at the time
of writing this comment it's up and operational.

:-)