VIA Padlock RNG available

Jeffrey Walton

Aug 19, 2017, 5:12:39 PM8/19/17
to Crypto++ Users
Hi Everyone,

VIA processors and chipsets are popular in thin clients, like PoS terminals and low end netbooks. (Or they used to be before the low end Atoms).

We added a VIA Padlock RNG today at http://github.com/noloader/cryptopp/commit/7fb5953055d1. The Padlock Security Engine provides AES, SHA and a RNG. VIA was shipping its Security Engine in the early 2000's about 5 or 7 years before Intel.

The RNG runs at about 400 cpb, which is better than /dev/random, AutSeededX917(AES) and HMAC DRBG. I want to add AES and benchmark it to see how it performs. I hope to get to it this weekend or next week.

There's also a wiki page at https://www.cryptopp.com/wiki/VIA_Padlock. It includes the reference material I've collected over the years, including the SDK with code samples. If you use the SDK then be careful of the samples. They are not always correct.

Jeff

Jeffrey Walton

Aug 20, 2017, 12:19:26 PM8/20/17
to Crypto++ Users

VIA processors and chipsets are popular in thin clients, like PoS terminals and low end netbooks. (Or they used to be before the low end Atoms).

We added a VIA Padlock RNG today at http://github.com/noloader/cryptopp/commit/7fb5953055d1. The Padlock Security Engine provides AES, SHA and a RNG. VIA was shipping its Security Engine in the early 2000's about 5 or 7 years before Intel.

The self tests were updated to include the Secure Application profile recommended by Cryptography Research, Inc in their 2003 audit report. Here's what it looks like when running cryptest.exe:

    Testing Padlock RNG generator...

    passed:  VIA RNG is activated
    passed:  von Neumann corrector is activated
    passed:  String filter is deactivated
    passed:  Bias voltage is unmodified
    passed:  All 0's or all 1's test
    passed:  Maurer Randomness Test returned value 0.999400
    passed:  10000 generated bytes compressed to 10010 bytes by DEFLATE
    passed:  discarded 10000 bytes
    passed:  GenerateWord32 and Crop

    Testing RDRAND generator...

    RDRAND generator not available, skipping test.

Jeff