Cannot link; GCC 5...

Ilya Bizyaev

May 22, 2015, 4:50:09 AM5/22/15
to cryptop...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone!
Having some troubles after GCC update on Linux... Cannot link the library (lots of references are not defined). The problem occurs both with a source-built Crypto++ and the one in Ubuntu repos. How can I solve it?

Ilya Bizyaev

May 22, 2015, 4:54:02 AM5/22/15
to cryptop...@googlegroups.com
I have rebuilt the source code version, and it linked properly. However, same problems now occur with wxWidgets, and rebuilding it will take centuries...

Ilya Bizyaev

May 22, 2015, 12:07:10 PM5/22/15
to cryptop...@googlegroups.com
By the way, the Crypto++ version from the default Ubuntu repository still doesn't work.

Ruben De Smet

May 24, 2015, 6:24:26 AM5/24/15
to Ilya Bizyaev, cryptop...@googlegroups.com
On 22/05/15 18:07, Ilya Bizyaev wrote:
> By the way, the Crypto++ version from the default Ubuntu repository still doesn't work.

Since C++ doesn't have a strict ABI and you upgraded to a new major
release of a compiler (http://semver.org/), you indeed have to rebuild
everything you want to link to.

The crypto++ version from the default ubuntu repository indeed is a
problem. You should contact it's maintainer, so he or she can recompile
and push a new .deb, although I don't know whether GCC5 is default on
Ubuntu already.

For C code these things don't give problems because of the strictly
defined ABI, but C++ is very loose, you can't mix compiled binaries
across compilers and - apparently - their versions.

Please keep in mind that this only counts for linking/compiling C++
code, not for running it; you just should have all dynamically linked
libraries compiled with the same compiler and version.

I hope this makes sense to you.

Ruben

signature.asc

Ilya Bizyaev

May 25, 2015, 2:38:37 AM5/25/15
to cryptop...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for your reply!
> I don't know whether GCC5 is default on Ubuntu already.
Well, I haven't installed it manually, it was updated automatically, so, I assume it is. I've got Ubuntu Vivid Vervet 15.04.
> You should contact it's maintainer, so he or she can recompile and push a new .deb
How can I contact him/her?
> I hope this makes sense to you.
Yes, it does! Thanks for explanation! (^_^)

Ilya Bizyaev

May 25, 2015, 8:10:41 AM5/25/15
to cryptop...@googlegroups.com
I have found the maintainer:
Maintainer: Ubuntu Developers <ubuntu-devel-discuss at lists.ubuntu.com>
(cannot bublish with @)

Ruben De Smet

May 25, 2015, 12:29:57 PM5/25/15
to Ilya Bizyaev, cryptop...@googlegroups.com
If you send him an e-mail, make sure to Cc the cryptopp-users ml
(perhaps as a reply to/forward of the original message). That way other
interested people can read too.
Good luck!

signature.asc

Ilya Bizyaev

May 26, 2015, 5:56:52 AM5/26/15
to cryptop...@googlegroups.com, bizyae...@gmail.com
Done! (^_^)

Ilya Bizyaev

May 28, 2015, 4:11:36 AM5/28/15
to cryptop...@googlegroups.com
I have found out that 4.9.2 is still the default compiler for Ubuntu. I have completely no idea why it updated itself manually.
So, I decided to downgrade to GCC 4.9.2...