Git development branch cleanup

Jeffrey Walton

Jun 17, 2016, 10:25:08 PM6/17/16
to Crypto++ Users
Hi Everyone,

I think our experiment in Git development branches has ended. Unfortunately, there is a lingering issues for end users. That issue is, a conceptually simple "delete development branch" does not exist in Git. That is, I cannot issue a command to delete a branch and then (1) propagate it to remote and (2) propagate it to users. I can solve (1) with additional commands, but I cannot solve (2).

If you want to clean up the cruft/artifacts that git refuses to allow me to cleanup, then issue the following:

    cd cryptopp
    git checkout master
    git fetch -p
    for branch in `git branch -vv | grep ": gone]" | awk '{print $1}'`; do git branch -D $branch; done

If you look at that and shake your head in disbelief at the complexity, then join the crowd. Git manages to take every simple task and makes it difficult.

Its so bad for me I have a cron job setup that performs Git maintenance on six different repos about once every four hour.

Jeff