cryptopp-565 unclean build with VS2015 cryptopp/wait.h

Andrew Marlow

Jan 12, 2018, 7:28:19 AM1/12/18
to Crypto++ Users
Hello everyone,

I just tried to build cryptopp 565 on Windows 10 using Visual Studio 2017 with the update for toolset v141 (by default it is v140). I got a compilation warning:

1>[snip]thirdparty-source\cryptopp\wait.h(159): warning C4589: Constructor of abstract class 'CryptoPP::WaitObjectsTracer' ignores initializer for virtual base class 'CryptoPP::Tracer'
1>[snip]thirdparty-source\cryptopp\wait.h(159): note: virtual base classes are only initialized by the most-derived type

Obviously this is just a warning so it is not urgent. I merely report it so it might get fixed at some point in the future.

Regards,

Andrew Marlow
http://www.andrewpetermarlow.co.uk

Jeffrey Walton

Jan 12, 2018, 8:03:42 AM1/12/18
to Andrew Marlow, Crypto++ Users
Thanks Andrew. Also see https://github.com/weidai11/cryptopp/issues/214

Jeff

Jeffrey Walton

Jan 12, 2018, 8:26:33 AM1/12/18
to Crypto++ Users

Marcel Raad

Jan 13, 2018, 8:12:04 AM1/13/18
to Jeffrey Walton, Crypto++ Users
Hmm, that shouldn't change anything for now. The latest VS 2017.6's _MSC_VER is 1913. But better suppress the warning for future versions than having to suppress it again for every new VS release and having people complain for new VS versions with older Crypto++ versions :-)

I just tested changing the warning(suppress) to warning(error) and the warning is still issued in the latest VS preview. But the only suppression needed is the one in wait.h, there are a few more in .cpp files.

Andrew, you're probably using Crypto++ 5.6.5 without patches? The warning got suppressed for VS 2017 after the release in git master. Crypto++ 5.6.5 is older than VS 2017.

Marcel