Changes to setenv-android.sh; make GNU libstdc++ default

Jeffrey Walton

Sep 23, 2016, 12:54:46 PM9/23/16
to Crypto++ Users
Hi Everyone,

I've been monitoring issues related to 'setenv-android.sh' and use of STLport by dfault. We have seen a couple of issue here, and I've seen a couple reports on Stack Overflow. Its a minor but annoying trend.

The problem surfaces when our STLport-ed version of Crypto++ is combined with QT and other tools. QT and other tools usually use GNU's gear. This is really just a replay of CVE-2016-7420 and the user failing to well configure everything. However, I think its a disservice to allow them to silently get into a bad configuration.

I checked in some changes to 'setenv-android.sh' which should help. First, we make libstdc++ shared library the default configuration. Second, the script warns the user whenever they use GNU's runtime and STL. Third, we point them to an AOSP bug report detailing some problems with both STLport and LLVM runtimes and STL.

Th changes occurred at:

  * https://github.com/weidai11/cryptopp/commit/4ff49bfc6201ad433b804d2cc3436dfecaed8d36
  * https://github.com/weidai11/cryptopp/commit/e221eedc7a984d5698d44a67a8a5bfb73b774ead

Jeff