What's the best way to compute a key fingerprint from an ECDSA public key?

Werner Kroneman

May 1, 2016, 9:16:03 AM5/1/16
to Crypto++ Users
Hello!

Suppose I have a ECDSA<...>::PublicKey, and I'd like to compute a hash of it.

How can I best do that? I could for example just do:

ByteQueue bytes;
publicKey.Save(bytes)

And then compute the hash of the bytes.

Is this the right way to do it? As far as I understand (I could be wrong) Save() does not make very strong guarantees about byte order and such (how strict is the format that it saves to?) and I'd rather not depend on specific implementations.

This is an operation that must be done in other places as well (where Crypto++ might not be available).