Upgrading VM to PHP 7.1

Jeffrey Walton

Dec 18, 2017, 10:25:32 PM12/18/17
to Crypto++ Users
Hi Everyone,

We are starting a PHP upgrade on the VM. The current version is 5.4, and it will be upgraded to 7.1.

The upgrade includes the VM using the Remi-Safe repo because the CentOS and Red Hat repos do not provide the updated packages.

You might experience trouble connecting to the website or wiki for the next several hours.

Jeff

Jeffrey Walton

Dec 18, 2017, 10:38:58 PM12/18/17
to Crypto++ Users
We are holding off on the upgrade. We are not sure if we have a good backup and we want to investigate repos some more.

I did a dry run with the Remi-Safe repo and it did not work because of broken dependencies. We want to find a repo where things "just work".

Jeff

Jeffrey Walton

Dec 20, 2017, 10:31:54 PM12/20/17
to Crypto++ Users

On Monday, December 18, 2017 at 10:25:32 PM UTC-5, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
The first part of the task is complete. The first part enabled SCL on the VM, and then installed python27, rh-php71 and httpd24. It looks like the website, manual and wiki survived the reboot. HTTPS is still working.

The final subtask for this step is to harden PHP. We spent several days doing it a couple of years ago. Looking at the php.ini diff, it looks like 7.1 is different enough from 5.4 that we cannot copy the old config on top of the new one. It looks like we need to re-apply the tweaks to 7.1.

And the final tasks are to upgrade MariaDB/ MySQL and MediaWiki. We should get to that after the PHP hardening.

Jeff

Jeffrey Walton

Dec 21, 2017, 11:25:11 AM12/21/17
to Crypto++ Users

On Wednesday, December 20, 2017 at 10:31:54 PM UTC-5, Jeffrey Walton wrote:

On Monday, December 18, 2017 at 10:25:32 PM UTC-5, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
Hi Everyone,

We are starting a PHP upgrade on the VM. The current version is 5.4, and it will be upgraded to 7.1.

The upgrade includes the VM using the Remi-Safe repo because the CentOS and Red Hat repos do not provide the updated packages.

You might experience trouble connecting to the website or wiki for the next several hours.

The first part of the task is complete. The first part enabled SCL on the VM, and then installed python27, rh-php71 and httpd24. It looks like the website, manual and wiki survived the reboot. HTTPS is still working.

I think we had problems with the upgrade but we missed them. It looks like the wiki went down for a while.

It looks like we missed the package rh-php71-php-mysqlnd, so we broke our database connector. I think it is back up again. Thanks to Vincent Autefage for the heads up.

Jeff

Jeffrey Walton

Dec 21, 2017, 1:45:22 PM12/21/17
to Crypto++ Users

On Monday, December 18, 2017 at 10:25:32 PM UTC-5, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
We are migrating the database from MySQL 5.5 to 10.2. You will see intermittent problems from the wiki for the next hour or so.

Jeff

Jeffrey Walton

Dec 21, 2017, 5:29:41 PM12/21/17
to Crypto++ Users

On Monday, December 18, 2017 at 10:25:32 PM UTC-5, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
We are starting the MediaWiki upgrade. The website and wiki may not be available for an hour or so.

Jeff

Jeffrey Walton

Dec 21, 2017, 9:08:36 PM12/21/17
to Crypto++ Users
Hi Everyone,

I think the migration is complete. We are now at Apache 2.4.58, PHP 7.8.1, Python 2.7.13 and MediaWiki 1.30.

A quick testing pass shows the website, docs and wiki are up. Some of the wiki plugins need upgrading, but I'll get to them over time as needed.

Please let us know if you experience trouble.

Jeff