Instantly gather and analyze Crunchbase data using Semgel.

harish

Mar 13, 2012, 4:18:22 PM3/13/12
to crunchbase-api
Hi,

I would like to introduce Semgel(http://semgel.com), a web app to
instantly gather and analyse crunchbase data.

Crunchbase is clearly a very valuable resource for professionals in
the tech sector. However, if you are need to do even basic analysis of
the data on Crunchbase, you need to write a bunch of code to do the
job.

Semgel was developed to enable entrepreneurs and investors make the
most of crunchbase data without having to write code. With just a few
clicks, Semgel enables users to understand the investment landscape
for a sector,research a investor's portfolio, study investment trends
for a city and a whole lot more.

When users gather data about a set of companies, Semgel creates a
database of all the data about the companies. Users can do anything
from build simple lists (list of people who work for new york based
companies) or do more interesting analysis (average 'a' round funding
for companies in a sector). Semgel also comes with a set of predefined
'views' which are all just a click away.

Do take a look and let me know what you think! If you have any
questions, just respond to this thread.

Thanks,
Harish,
Founder, Semgel.

Website : http://semgel.com
Videos : http://semgel.com/demo.jsp
Product : http://semgel.com/entrepreneur.jsp
Signup : http://semgel.com/plans.jsp
Blog : http://semgel.com/blog

grudelsud

Mar 14, 2012, 6:46:09 AM3/14/12
to crunchb...@googlegroups.com
hi harish

it looks interesting, and the name of your app suggests you're using some semantic web technology, is this the case? are you also pulling / updating content from sources other than crunchbase?

cheers
thomas

Harish Kumar M.

Mar 14, 2012, 8:36:06 AM3/14/12
to crunchb...@googlegroups.com
Hello Thomas,

Thanks for taking a look!

We indeed use semweb technologies. And we definitely will be consuming content from multiple source - we plan to release this functionality shortly.

The current focus is to demonstrate how you can analyze complex/nested dataset as easily as you would analyze a flat data set in a spreadsheet. You can read more about the big problem we are trying to solve.

To get an idea about the kind of analysis you can do, take a look at the standard analysis of the Union Square Ventures portfolio.   You can get this set of standard views in just a few clicks. The video for doing this is here.

Harish.

grudelsud

Mar 15, 2012, 7:39:16 AM3/15/12
to crunchb...@googlegroups.com
hey harish,

nice one. I'm really interested in the semweb technologies you're using, would you be able to provide some insights pls? I'm a technical guy more than a business guy, and presently working on a project that sounds quite similar for a startup in stealth mode. we're fetching and analyzing data using named entity extraction and dbpedia for concept expansion, and we're broadening the range of informations to other domains than startup / venture. what kind of technologies are you guys using?

thanks
thomas

Kurt Stoll

Mar 15, 2012, 12:43:20 PM3/15/12
to crunchb...@googlegroups.com
This sounds great!  We've been looking for a way to include information from Crunchbase about Houston Startups without having to write a bunch of code.  Will let you know my feedback when I try it.!

Rgds,
Kurt Stoll
Chief Technology Evangelist
StartupHouston.com

Harish Kumar M.

Mar 15, 2012, 3:09:07 PM3/15/12
to crunchb...@googlegroups.com
That sounds pretty interesting Thomas!

With regards to the tech we use, we do incorporate quite a few of the semweb standands and technology components. (http://www.w3.org/standards/semanticweb/). Semtech is most commonly used in two separate but overlapping contexts - one is in working with unstructured data (NLP, textual analytics etc), and the other is in working with semi-structured data. Its the later that we are interested in. From what I understand, it appears that you are working on the former.

Further, I would add that we at Semgel are primarily excited about the vision behind the semantic web - creating a web of data. The semtech stack in itself is often a secondary thing for us, a means to an end.

I would be happy to provide any inputs that might be useful for your project. You can mail me at har...@semgel.com.

Harish.

Harish Kumar M.

Mar 15, 2012, 3:21:06 PM3/15/12
to crunchb...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Kurt! Semgel can indeed be a useful tool for those who work with the startup ecosystem.

I was taking a quick look at the startups based out of Houston. It turns out that there are about 57 funded startups with their head office in Houston. Here is a list of all the fundings that these startups have received (http://bit.ly/xa0eEi) and a list of the top investors  in these companies(http://bit.ly/zbd1Yb). It took just  few clicks to create these lists. You could also analyze/visualize this data in a bunch of ways.

Looking forward to your feedback!

Harish.

grudelsud

Mar 19, 2012, 6:07:04 AM3/19/12
to crunchb...@googlegroups.com
thank you harish, I'll drop you a line on a private thread, have a great week!
Harish.