An Idea for GSOC 2013

Mel K.

Apr 27, 2013, 6:25:57 PM4/27/13
to crow...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

My name is Maeoll Kim and I spoke to Dr Andrew at a seminar for Dr. Valafar's Bioinformatics class at SDSU, and I came up with an idea that I would like to submit for the GSOC 2013.

I am thinking of creating a game where gene sequences, protein sequences and/or gene expression data is stacked with semi-related sequences from likely similar disease causing agents and the player circles matching clusters that are similar (depending on the play style) with their mouse. The backend will create a catalog of similar gene/protein/expression sequences and thus assist in cataloging these sequences and their closest neighbors. This will create a map of relationships and may reveal things like horizontal gene transfer between bacteria, or reveal similarity between sequences in cancer causing genes.

I'd like some input on this idea.

Thanks

Mel K.

Apr 27, 2013, 6:37:30 PM4/27/13
to crow...@googlegroups.com
Actually maybe what would be better would be stacking random sequences, since that would create the most useful matches, since they would be sequences that have not yet been considered

Mel K.

Apr 29, 2013, 3:43:12 AM4/29/13
to crow...@googlegroups.com
I'd like to delete this thread, I have another idea I'd like to post instead.

Benjamin Good

Apr 29, 2013, 11:18:08 AM4/29/13
to crow...@googlegroups.com
No need to delete anything, this forum is just for discussion and ideas - the more the merrier.  Just start a new thread.  In case there was any misunderstanding, if you are going to apply for gsoc you have to submit an application to google.

2012 GSoC Organization page: http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/org/google/gsoc2012/scripps_crowdbio
GSoC Ideas page: http://sulab.org/gsoc/
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Crowdsourcing Biology" group.
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/crowdbio?hl=en.