GSoC 2013 with Crowdsourcing Biology

Akshay Aurora

Apr 16, 2013, 7:16:48 AM4/16/13
to crow...@googlegroups.com
Hi there,
I'm a 2nd year Mathematics and Computer Science engineering student at BITS Pilani, India.  I'm really passionate about cutting edge web technologies, and try keep up with all the new Web API's, libraries and frameworks. I'm also a strong advocate for best practices and frontend tooling.

I specialize in HTML5/CSS3, Javascript for frontend and PHP, Node.js, Python/Django for backend.

I'm interested in the following ideas for GSoC 2013.

Idea 2 - Facebook application for Dizeez

I think this project goes well with my stack, I'm familiar with both Backbone and  jQuery. I have also worked with RequireJS and CoffeeScript for a HTML5 Canvas Game.

Apart from this I have experience with Facebook, Twitter and Google+ Apps
I think something like Achievements API should make this game really interesting.

Could we use Express with Node.js for this project? I think working with JavaScript both client and server side should make things easier.

Could you tell me more about the Quiz. Is there an API for getting diseases associated with a particular gene? Are we going to continue to have similar game design, can we have levels? I think levels should work well Achievements and Scores API.

Idea 5 - Sharing Gene report links

I think we have an interesting problem in hand to handle in this project. We'll need to take the data as a query/hash and try to keep the url as short and readable as possible. And have a checkbox for link shortener something like Google Maps as mentioned in project description.

I'm still working on getting local copy of BioGPS running, I'm attaching my SSH Public key, please give me access to your database.

Would be great if you could help me with these ideas. Let me know if you would like me to come up prototype or wireframe?

With Thanks & Warm Regards,
Akshay Aurora Github // Twitter // iakshay.net // +91 789122 4942

dsa_pub.pem

Andrew Su

Apr 17, 2013, 9:08:14 PM4/17/13
to crow...@googlegroups.com
Hi Akshay,

Thanks for your interest in our organization! Just a quick note on
the BioGPS front. Chunlei (who can set up database access for your
dev instance) is out of the office this week, so you can expect a
reply from him next week.

On the Facebook application, make sure you check out Max's great post
on the topic (https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/crowdbio/pRCJtjpMv-M).
If any of your questions aren't answered there, let us know!

Cheers,
-andrew
> --
> --
>
> 2012 GSoC Organization page:
> http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/org/google/gsoc2012/scripps_crowdbio
> GSoC Ideas page: http://sulab.org/gsoc/
> ---
> "Crowdsourcing Biology" group.
> email to crowdbio+u...@googlegroups.com.
> Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/crowdbio?hl=en.

Chunlei Wu

Apr 24, 2013, 6:02:42 PM4/24/13
to crow...@googlegroups.com
Hi Akshay,

        Apologies for the late reply. You have now been granted the access to our dev-gsoc.biogps.org server with the username as "akshayaurora":

ssh -i path/to/your_ssh_key akshayaurora@dev-gsoc.biogps.org

      Let me know if you need any further help.

Cheers,

Chunlei

Akshay Aurora

Apr 26, 2013, 5:13:56 PM4/26/13
to crow...@googlegroups.com
Hi Chunlei,
     I'm still getting permission denied when I try to ssh. I tried to run this command -:

 ssh -i ~/.ssh/dsa_priv.pem -v akshay...@dev-gsoc.biogps.org

Chunlei Wu

Apr 26, 2013, 5:43:27 PM4/26/13
to crow...@googlegroups.com, Akshay Aurora
Hi Akshay,

I have just emailed you a new ssh key for accessing this
server.

Chunlei