[GSOC] Open Source Data Collection / Analysis / Visualization Tool

Trevor Tomesh

Apr 29, 2013, 2:32:51 PM4/29/13
to crow...@googlegroups.com
Hello!

 I'm a MPhil student at the University of Worcester in Computing (UK), my BSc was in Physics from the University of Wisconsin - River Falls, and I intend on continuing to a PhD in Computer Science -- studying data visualization. Anyhow, I had a project Idea that I thought I'd share before submission and perhaps get your thoughts.

Recently, Texas Instruments released their Beagle Board Black -- a small ARM based computer much like the Raspberry Pi (actually, an earlier version of the Beagle Board came before) for under $50. (http://beagleboard.org/Products/BeagleBone%20Black)

I would like to work towards making the beaglebone a data collection/analysis/
visualization tool. The beaglebones hardware -- especially the availability of analog ports -- makes it a very good candidate in my opinion for use as an all-in-one portable data processing machine. The only thing that is missing is a piece of software that ties together the hardware (collection) with analysis and visualization. Now, I have some experience with 3D visualization tools (processing, Blender 3D), and I can see a customized version of either of these software suites being a perfect on that end. Paired with a custom interface -- perhaps built in python or js? -- for analysis and collection, tailored for the beaglebone's hardware, I think that we could come up with something that could be widely used in university labs and classrooms. Anyhow, if you could please let me know your thoughts, I would really appreciate it -- and perhaps you could suggest to me a mentor to get in contact with?

Thanks much! Trevor M. Tomesh

Benjamin Good

Apr 30, 2013, 12:48:26 PM4/30/13
to crow...@googlegroups.com
Hi Trevor,

Sounds like fun, but we are really not a hardware oriented group.  I'd scan through the mentor org list and see if you can find a better match

Also, you are going to have to very quickly translate your general idea into a very specific project proposal!

thanks for writing and good luck!
-ben

2012 GSoC Organization page: http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/org/google/gsoc2012/scripps_crowdbio
GSoC Ideas page: http://sulab.org/gsoc/
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Crowdsourcing Biology" group.
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/crowdbio?hl=en.