active Crisis Commons projects?

Monika Adamczyk

Jan 21, 2011, 4:26:45 PM1/21/11
to crisiscommons, crisiscamp-coordinators, crisiscamp-boston
Microsoft in collaboration with Brown University from Providence, RI
is organizing an overnight hackaton for college students:
http://www.nech2011.com/ on February 11/12th.
CrisisCamp Boston, of which I am one of the city leads, has been
invited to the event and asked to lead CrisisCommons project tract. We
would like to introduce CrisisCommons to the hackathon attendees
(150-250 CS students) and propose a few projects to work on. These
could be either ongoing projects or problem statements on which
implementation would start during the hackathon. While MS will be
giving out all their development tools free of charge, the hackathon
is not limited to their technologies only. In fact I am trying to
bring to the event some technical experts from Google and other open
source technologies.

I am looking for project owners or contributors who would be
interested in work to be done on their projects during the NECH
hackathon so we could do some planning together in the next 3 weeks.

Monika Adamczyk

-- MACO TECH INC
-- http://www.maco-tech.com
-- mon...@maco-tech.com
-- +1 781-816-9817
-- Twitter @macotech

Monika Adamczyk

Jan 24, 2011, 1:28:39 PM1/24/11
to crisiscommons, crisiscamp-coordinators, crisiscamp-boston
I have heard so far only from two people, which is disappointing.
Don't we really have any more projects that could take advantage of a
group of Computer Science students from top universities (Brown,
Harvard, MIT and many other from New England area) working on
applications for a day?
I see a potential of turning at least some of them into long term
contributors and continue building the technical community that can be
called upon in case of future disaster.

What am I missing here that solicited so little response?

Monika Adamczyk

-- MACO TECH INC
-- http://www.maco-tech.com
-- mon...@maco-tech.com
-- +1 781-816-9817
-- Twitter @macotech

Seth Woodworth

Jan 24, 2011, 1:50:58 PM1/24/11
to crisisca...@googlegroups.com

I haven't been involved with CC for over a year.  But I have success in teaching/leading development teams on rails projects, in hackathons and elsewhere.  I would be willing to pick up someone else's project and run a team.

If that's agreeable to you, I'll hop up on the wiki and see what projects are hanging and could still be useful.  Tweak the tweet was a lot of fun, but I don't know if it ever got used.

-s

Monika Adamczyk

Jan 25, 2011, 9:33:38 AM1/25/11
to crisis...@googlegroups.com, crisiscamp-coordinators, crisiscamp-boston
Larry,

I got your direct email with the requirements.

Thanks

Monika Adamczyk

-- MACO TECH INC
-- http://www.maco-tech.com
-- mon...@maco-tech.com
-- +1 781-816-9817
-- Twitter @macotech

On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 1:34 PM, Larry Molmud <lmo...@me.com> wrote:
> Monika –
> Monterey CERT has shared out a draft requirements doc with the group that
> has outlined the need to tie together mobile devices (smartphones, regular
> cell phones), geolocation apps, sms, and opensource crowdmapping frameworks
> (ushahidi, etc.) for feeding and managing incident reports and dispatches.
> Can I send to you under separate cover if you haven't seen this?
> – Larry
>
> Larry Molmud
> SBA Monterey CERT
> lmo...@mac.com
> 831.372.1741
> 408.472.4247

Monika Adamczyk

Jan 25, 2011, 9:39:10 AM1/25/11
to crisis...@googlegroups.com, Heather Leson, crisiscamp-...@googlegroups.com, crisiscamp-boston, Pat Tressel, Thom Goodsell
Cat

I have added the project to the list of proposals. Please reach out directly to me and Thom Goodsell (cc on this message) with any additional information you would like to share with us.

Monika Adamczyk

-- MACO TECH INC
-- http://www.maco-tech.com
-- mon...@maco-tech.com
-- +1 781-816-9817
-- Twitter @macotech

On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 5:41 PM, Cat Graham <Peacefu...@humanityroad.org> wrote:

Hello Monika and thanks Heather!  We would love for our project to be continued and have been working with Pat Tressel in identifying what steps need to be taken.  I know of another NGO that may have a worthy submission for the event, but may I ask where the tech overview would be submitted for consideration?  I see a portal (Eventbrite) that contains registrations for the students, developers, professor(s) and press.  Thanks in advance, I’m sure it will be a successful event.

Cat Graham

Humanity Road, Inc.

Mobile 954-305-3226

Twitter or Skype @peaceful_intent

Please follow and Retweet @Humanityroad and @Redcrossdog

Jan 25, 2011, 9:35:54 AM1/25/11
to crisiscamp-...@googlegroups.com, crisiscommons, crisiscamp-boston, Cat Graham, Pat Tressel, Thom Goodsell
Heather,

Thanks for the link. When I mentioned CrisisCommons type of projects, I meant it more in the spirit of CC than strict ownership. We will add the project to the list of proposals.

Monika Adamczyk

-- MACO TECH INC
-- http://www.maco-tech.com
-- mon...@maco-tech.com
-- +1 781-816-9817
-- Twitter @macotech

On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 3:17 PM, Heather Leson <heathe...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Monika Adamczyk

Jan 27, 2011, 11:11:41 AM1/27/11
to crisiscommons, crisiscamp-coordinators, crisiscamp-boston
Many thanks to all who provided additional information. By now I think
I replied directly to everybody who suggested a project but if you
haven't heard back from me, please send me a direct email.

Monika Adamczyk

-- MACO TECH INC
-- http://www.maco-tech.com
-- mon...@maco-tech.com