Still using the Cr-48?

RC Taylor

Apr 19, 2015, 4:34:34 PM4/19/15
to cr-48-te...@googlegroups.com
Curious if anyone is still using their Cr-48? Mine was sitting in the corner and decided to pull it back into service. It works very well but thought about exploring ways to upgrade it without purchasing a new chromebook.

Bri Hatch

Apr 19, 2015, 4:51:44 PM4/19/15
to cr-48-te...@googlegroups.com

Every day, yes. Slower than new models, but still work.

On Apr 19, 2015 1:34 PM, "RC Taylor" <rcl...@gmail.com> wrote:
Curious if anyone is still using their Cr-48? Mine was sitting in the corner and decided to pull it back into service. It works very well but thought about exploring ways to upgrade it without purchasing a new chromebook.

From the "Cr-48 Test Pilots" Google Group.

Denny Lockhart

Apr 19, 2015, 6:50:01 PM4/19/15
to cr-48-te...@googlegroups.com
Wat Bri said... ;)
--
DennyL@GMail

valerie gould

Apr 19, 2015, 6:53:29 PM4/19/15
to cr-48-te...@googlegroups.com

Still using mine

On Apr 19, 2015 3:34 PM, "RC Taylor" <rcl...@gmail.com> wrote:
Curious if anyone is still using their Cr-48? Mine was sitting in the corner and decided to pull it back into service. It works very well but thought about exploring ways to upgrade it without purchasing a new chromebook.

Angela Shifflett

Apr 20, 2015, 2:02:38 AM4/20/15
to cr-48-te...@googlegroups.com
I just pulled mine out again recently. It still works perfectly. :)

bob3160

Apr 20, 2015, 4:43:42 PM4/20/15
to cr-48-te...@googlegroups.com
Every once in a while, I also pull mine back out. It would be nice to be able to upgrade and speed things up a bit.

6sigma

Apr 20, 2015, 4:45:50 PM4/20/15
to cr-48-te...@googlegroups.com
Yep, daily. Eager to know how the performance of the recent Chromebooks compares, but none of the retailers nearby are carrying any of the higher performance machines. We need an index with the Cr-48 at 1 and the rest of the pack at some multiple of that!.

SP

Chase

Apr 20, 2015, 4:48:15 PM4/20/15
to cr-48-te...@googlegroups.com
Have mine packed away. It was working great when I put it away. Hinge issues is the only problem with mine.

McKayCR

Apr 20, 2015, 4:57:00 PM4/20/15
to cr-48-te...@googlegroups.com
I'm still using mine except that its so slow its almost un-usable. Google+ page is almost impossible as well as Inbox. Other less resource intesive pages work fine.

I too would like to know about possible upgrades to revitalize my device (ram)

Thomas Quintana

Apr 20, 2015, 5:48:09 PM4/20/15
to cr-48-te...@googlegroups.com
Still going good.  Running Chrome OS Canary builds.  Not as quick as a NEW Chromebook, but use mine daily.

David Bray

Apr 21, 2015, 6:26:42 AM4/21/15
to cr-48-te...@googlegroups.com
Yes every few days

Rob Bean

Apr 21, 2015, 11:20:46 PM4/21/15
to cr-48-te...@googlegroups.com
Would love to pull it out of storage but the last time I used it, the wireless adapter would disappear randomly and the hinge is starting to wear down.

Pleased to hear that others are still getting use out of them, though.

On Tue, Apr 21, 2015 at 3:26 AM, David Bray <bra...@gmail.com> wrote:
Yes every few days

From the "Cr-48 Test Pilots" Google Group.

The world is full of tough guys.  It doesn't need me to be one, too.

Susan

Apr 22, 2015, 9:02:32 PM4/22/15
to cr-48-te...@googlegroups.com
Yep. I still use mine and it's in great shape. I've taken good care of it. It fell once and the lid won't close without a little help from me, but it does close. It updates regularly and it is slower than the newer Chromebooks, but it's fine for what I do with it. I love my Cr-48!

Eph Zero

May 1, 2015, 11:52:36 AM5/1/15
to cr-48-te...@googlegroups.com
My SSD died about a year in. I gave mine to someone who was willing to buy a new SSD for it.

Pablo Moretto

May 12, 2015, 8:35:53 PM5/12/15
to cr-48-te...@googlegroups.com
still using it as a primary machine

HockeyPhool

May 28, 2015, 11:58:07 PM5/28/15
to cr-48-te...@googlegroups.com
Yes I am.  I mostly use it as a second screen at my desktop.  Occasionally I use it away from my desk.

abraham

Jun 6, 2015, 11:13:44 AM6/6/15
to cr-48-te...@googlegroups.com
I've put it away since the broken hinge made it unusable unless I prop it up.  Currently it has Win8.1 since I needed Office on it the last time I used it.  Haven't visited this group for a while till now - what builds are y'all running on it, and is it usable as a daily driver?  Those of you with broken hinges, what did y'all do?

AdMan The Lab Rat

Jun 8, 2015, 6:58:18 AM6/8/15
to cr-48-te...@googlegroups.com
My hinge is just beginning to go, so I just leave her open 24/7 and cover her with a comfy white t-shirt when she is not being used.
Here is the "Fix Hinge - How To" link from the CR-48 Wiki: https://cr-48.wikispaces.com/Cr-48+Hinge+Reinforcement

Hope this helps,
ATLR

DennisLfromGA

Jun 8, 2015, 9:42:07 AM6/8/15
to cr-48-te...@googlegroups.com
@AdMan ...,

I think you should jazz it up with a cool t-shirt - or use one of your own ads... ;)
Pi Be Rational
-DennisL

Joseph Ross

Aug 13, 2015, 11:25:35 PM8/13/15
to Cr-48 Test Pilots
Mine got me through law school and I still pick it up over my wife's Air because the Macbook gets so damn hot and the battery life is so short.

piepan mirrors

Nov 7, 2015, 5:52:34 PM11/7/15
to Cr-48 Test Pilots

Yes indeed.  The thing is like a rock.  Hinges are getting old but so am I.

Ralph Stoos

Dec 2, 2015, 10:28:48 PM12/2/15
to cr-48-te...@googlegroups.com
I have used my RC-48 since Google shipped it to me for eval.  Loved it as soon as I was able to save things to an external Flash drive.  Let me Son borrow it for college with instructions on how to preserve battery life and keep the cover hinge breaking by opening from the corner.  I made him sit and watch me use the thing safely.  So far, no breakage or under performance.

He understands that Dad has been in the business for a very long time and trusts what I tell him.

Guessing the battery will go first and I am told there are replacements.  He gets a device that will let him type all days in class and download those notes to a Flash drive which is then copied to his 17.3 inch laptop back in his room for heavier processing.  So far, So good and I expect that it will be still be working when he finishes his Masters degree next year.  He is studying to be a surgical PA.  Always liked this device and sent a 12 page report back to Google on improvements that could be made.  Some they put in and some they have yet to add.

One things all OSes lack is the ability to traverse folders and select pictures or song files and once done do a right mouse and select things like Copy to Mail note, Copy to new directory, Write to CD/DVD, or Copy to Flash Media.  I suggested that the paths to all the files be put in an XML format and let it run after selections.  This would make it so easy to work through mountains of graphics or MP3s.  Convenient at worst and stellar feature at best.  Have sent this suggestion to the GNOME and KDE teams with no response.

Can't wait to get my Chromebook back.  Have also passed along an ASUS 12 inch netbook as well.  Would really like a Phablet with gobs of storage on it.  I have an ASUS 9 inch tablet that could really replace my laptop in function and it would do real well if it had the ability to make/receive phone calls.  That is the great device for which I have been looking these last ten+ years.  Light enough to throw over my shoulders and have an earpiece in my ear so calls can be received and tracked.  That will be my next new.egg purchase.  Battery life much longer than cell phones and maybe the ability to OCR voice to text.  Gotta love that.

Ralph H. Stoos Jr.

On Sun, Apr 19, 2015 at 4:34 PM, RC Taylor <rcl...@gmail.com> wrote:
Curious if anyone is still using their Cr-48? Mine was sitting in the corner and decided to pull it back into service. It works very well but thought about exploring ways to upgrade it without purchasing a new chromebook.

bob3160

Dec 3, 2015, 4:41:27 PM12/3/15
to Cr-48 Test Pilots
Just wish I could add some more Ram to this system. Still works well but would be better with some extra memory.

Matrix0027

May 1, 2016, 9:57:58 PM5/1/16
to Cr-48 Test Pilots
Yes, every day.  I use it as a second home computer which is kept downstairs at my home. Due to the weak hinges, I use it in docked mode with an external monitor, keyboard and mouse.  I have Ubuntu installed with Crouton which allows me to use Linux if I need to and then I use ChromeRDP to connect to my Windows 10 desktop computer which is upstairs.  The RDP  connection is equivalent to sitting in front of the remote computer.  No slow down noticed.

Fred Hamilton

Oct 29, 2016, 7:04:36 PM10/29/16
to Cr-48 Test Pilots
I just pulled mine back out and dusted her off. Works well enough, Im testing to see if its worth buying a new one. But am having some issues that may be related to hardware support, but why I wouldnt know since its juts mounting an smb share.

No One

Dec 10, 2016, 11:57:15 AM12/10/16
to Cr-48 Test Pilots
That is EXACTLY what I want to do.  Unfortunately, the Atom processor only supports 2GB max RAM.  *Sigh*

Austin Garrison

Dec 14, 2016, 12:36:34 AM12/14/16
to cr-48-te...@googlegroups.com
The laptop I replaced my Cr-48 with died recently, I think I'm going to buy another Cr-48 for my new laptop.

From the "Cr-48 Test Pilots" Google Group.

dran...@gmail.com

May 18, 2017, 11:32:15 AM5/18/17
to Cr-48 Test Pilots
Am still using mine; as a matter of fact - after having discovered earlier this week that updates for the CR-48 have ceased, I wiped it and installed Kali Linux Rolling 2016.2 yesterday.

I also configured it for Python development by installing the python developer packages AND JetBrains pyCharm IDE (community edition). I imported a multi-module python application I've been working on, and the responsiveness is better than that of my Surface 3 device!

Application contains four (4) independent modules plus a client web page...all of that PLUS the running IDE and OS on just 2gb ram.

Hang on to your CR-48's, folks...still quality hardware all these years later.

BTW: the Kali Linux install went flawless...detected the wifi, bluetooth, trackpad without the need for extra drivers or hardware configuration.

DennisLfromGA

May 18, 2017, 12:25:23 PM5/18/17
to Cr-48 Test Pilots
dran...@gmail.com,

A nice thing about the Cr-48 is the SSD is upgradable so you can expand if you like.
See the zipso site for details here: Upgrade your Chromebook storage or RAM

~DennisL