Java Plugin Walk Through

w9jds

Feb 9, 2011, 6:25:12 PM2/9/11
to cr-48-te...@googlegroups.com
The first thing you want to do is to start a terminal which is ctrl+alt+t
you will then want to type the following commands

>shell
>sudo su

once you have a red localhost: you need to run

>sudo /usr/share/vboot/bin/make_dev_ssd.sh --remove_rootfs_verification

once it goes through the kernels you need to reboot so type

>sudo reboot

now every time you have run these next two commands to exec or write anything

>sudo mount -o remount,rw /
>sudo mount -o remount,exec /mnt/stateful_partition

now you are ready to run one of the walk throughs above.

Now that you have root on your CR-48 I will be showing you how to get the Java plugin working on your Chrome browser.
First you want to grab the Java self extracting file for Linux from here. I did NOT use the RPM.
When this is downloaded you need to move this, since I do everything in a folder opt these are the commands to follow.

>mkdir /mnt/stateful_partition/opt
>mv /home/chronos/user/Downloads/jre-6u23-linux-i586.bin /mnt/stateful_partition/opt
>cd /mnt/stateful_partition/opt

now that it is in your folder make sure you can run it

>chmod a+x jre-6u23-linux-i586.bin
> ./jre-6u23-linux-i586.bin

if the above didn't run the file try
>sudo bash jre-6u23-linux-i586.bin
once the execution is done you can type
> ls
and you should have a jre1.6.0_23 directory and the bin file
if you want you can remove the bin file
>rm jre-6u23-linux-i586.bin

next you want to make a symbolic link to the /usr/bin folder so that java can run correctly, (note I do links weird so stick with me)

>cd /usr/bin
>ln -s /mnt/stateful_partition/opt/jre1.6.0_23/bin/java
>ln -s /mnt/stateful_partition/opt/jre1.6.0_23/bin/javaws

You can also link the control panel there if you want that would be
>ln -s /mnt/stateful_partition/opt/jre1.6.0_23/bin/ControlPanel
next you want to place the plugin for chrome into the chrome plugin folder for all of you remember that the libjavaplugin_oji.so is NOT the plugin you need for this you need the next generation plugin.

>cd /opt/google/chrome/plugins
>ln -s /mnt/stateful_partition/opt/jre1.6.0_23/lib/i386/libnpjp2.so

Now you have Java in your plugins. all you have to do is go into your settings in chrome then under the hood then disable individual plugins and it should be listed. You should be all good to go!

If something didn't work make sure to go to your directories where you made links and do the ls command if the link is highlighted red that means its bad you need to do rm and redo the link.

This is also viewable on my blog http://w9jds.blogspot.com/

Smokin Joe

Feb 9, 2011, 7:14:06 PM2/9/11
to Cr-48 Test Pilots
yessssssssssss!

Thanks w9jds, I'll be trying this and hopefully the firefox out
tonight.

On Feb 9, 6:25 pm, w9jds <xboxmusicn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The first thing you want to do is to start a terminal which is ctrl+alt+t
> you will then want to type the following commands
>
> >shell
> >sudo su
>
> once you have a red localhost: you need to run
>
> >sudo /usr/share/vboot/bin/make_dev_ssd.sh --remove_rootfs_verification
>
> once it goes through the kernels you need to reboot so type
>
> >sudo reboot
>
> now every time you have run these next two commands to exec or write
> anything
>
> >sudo mount -o remount,rw /
> >sudo mount -o remount,exec /mnt/stateful_partition
>
> now you are ready to run one of the walk throughs above.
>
> Now that you have root on your CR-48 I will be showing you how to get the
> Java plugin working on your Chrome browser.
> First you want to grab the Java self extracting file for Linux from here<http://goo.gl/Zd4HB>.

Smokin Joe

Feb 10, 2011, 12:31:33 AM2/10/11
to Cr-48 Test Pilots
Worked beautifully. I was about to type
>java -jar minecraft.jar

and it worked! unfortunately it was night time, but I managed to grab
a screenshot
http://i.imgur.com/eDopE.png

..(edope?)

w9jds

Feb 10, 2011, 12:33:46 AM2/10/11
to cr-48-te...@googlegroups.com
I glad it worked for you :D

Dennis Lockhart

Feb 10, 2011, 8:18:38 AM2/10/11
to cr-48-te...@googlegroups.com
I haven't tried this method because I use one of the Developer's builds that has Java include so I don't know if this will be an issue or not but what I ran into was the Java VM wasn't registered/selected. If anyone runs into this, you'll get an error similar to the following when you try to run the .jar file:

* Home for VM '' does not exist:
* Invalid System VM:

I was able to fix this error by doing the following:

java-config -L            # to list the Java VM's on the system
sudo java-config -S 1 # to set the Java VM to the first one listed (above)

After setting the VM I was able to run .jar files successfully.

Hope this helps,
DennyL@GMail

--
From the "Cr-48 Test Pilots" Google Group.

CqN

Feb 10, 2011, 2:46:50 PM2/10/11
to cr-48-te...@googlegroups.com
Dennis,

The dev channel release has java plugin available?  I do not see it here.  How do you enable it?

Cordially, CqN

Dennis Lockhart

Feb 10, 2011, 3:18:22 PM2/10/11
to cr-48-te...@googlegroups.com
Sorry to confuse, I'm using Developer build images, I wasn't talking about the Dev/Beta channels.
To use Developer builds you have to switch a physical switch behind the battery into Developer mode and then install Developer images from some of the Developers. Two sources that I've used and work well are Todd Vierling's at 'http://www.duh.org/chromiumos/cr-48/' and John Mora's at 'http://cr48.dyndns.org/'. They both belong to this group so you'll see their name popup quite often.

DennyL@GMail

CqN

Feb 10, 2011, 3:24:34 PM2/10/11
to cr-48-te...@googlegroups.com
Perhaps, we may want to adopt the term  Private Builds to refer to these, to avoid confusion to the uninitiated :) Just a suggestion...

Anyway, does Todd's Private Builds have java avaialble?  If so, that is finally one reason to try it :) :)  I have been experimenting with some java for 3d graphics and wanted to compare with the upcoming WebGL .  Thanks.

Cordially,  CqN

Dennis Lockhart

Feb 10, 2011, 3:47:04 PM2/10/11
to cr-48-te...@googlegroups.com
I suppose one could call them Private, however they are developers and they share their builds with the world, doesn't seem private when you look at it that way.
Todd's builds include Java and a whole lot more as he explains on the web page here.
He also has experimental packages available for those still using the Official Chrome OS builds that you might want to check out here
DennyL@GMail

CqN

Feb 10, 2011, 4:38:36 PM2/10/11
to cr-48-te...@googlegroups.com
Denny,

Stand corrected :)  Yes it is really Shared Private Developer Build[s]  :) :)  SPDBs

Todd Vierling

Feb 10, 2011, 5:23:34 PM2/10/11
to cr-48-te...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 3:24 PM, CqN <chacko...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Perhaps, we may want to adopt the term  Private Builds to refer to these, to
> avoid confusion to the uninitiated :) Just a suggestion...

I tend to use the terms "unofficial" or "non-official" to keep
confusion to a minimum.

John Mora

Feb 10, 2011, 5:56:55 PM2/10/11
to cr-48-te...@googlegroups.com
I've been trying to use the following:

Developer Build - an unofficial OS build from source
Developer Mode - you've flipped the switch beneath the battery
Dev Channel - the official ChromeOS channel you are subscribed to
Recovery Image - the OS image (official or unofficial) written to USB and used to flash a Cr-48

Todd Vierling

Feb 10, 2011, 6:37:12 PM2/10/11
to cr-48-te...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 5:56 PM, John Mora <john...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've been trying to use the following:
> Developer Build - an unofficial OS build from source
> Developer Mode - you've flipped the switch beneath the battery
> Dev Channel - the official ChromeOS channel you are subscribed to
> Recovery Image - the OS image (official or unofficial) written to USB and
> used to flash a Cr-48

Well, okay, in practice I've been saying things like "non-official
(developer) build" for the first of these, but essentially CqN has a
point: this is getting confusing (and repetitive) to explain. If you
feel like blogging about the overloaded definitions of "developer" for
Chrome OS, go right ahead. ;)

Praetorius

Feb 11, 2011, 5:39:25 PM2/11/11
to cr-48-te...@googlegroups.com
Excellent work! Worked perfectly!

w9jds

Feb 12, 2011, 12:47:22 AM2/12/11
to cr-48-te...@googlegroups.com
I'm glad!!!

SuicideTuna

Feb 14, 2011, 6:59:47 PM2/14/11
to Cr-48 Test Pilots

After the latest update I cannot enable jva plugin. As a matter of
fact it does not show up on the plugins section in settings. Anyone
else experiencing this?

Praetorius

Feb 14, 2011, 9:27:53 PM2/14/11
to cr-48-te...@googlegroups.com
I'm experiencing this as well. It worked perfectly in the beta channel. I'm not totally sure what broke between the two since the update.
Message has been deleted

w9jds

Feb 14, 2011, 10:08:43 PM2/14/11
to cr-48-te...@googlegroups.com
usually when you update it checks to see whats changed and fix it so the links to the /usr/bin and the plugins folder where removed.

Suicidetuna

Feb 14, 2011, 10:11:28 PM2/14/11
to cr-48-te...@googlegroups.com

I went thru the steps to re-enable and it still doesn't show in the plugins.

On Feb 14, 2011 7:08 PM, "w9jds" <xboxmu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> usually when you update it checks to see whats changed and fix it so the
> links to the /usr/bin and the plugins folder where removed.

Praetorius

Feb 14, 2011, 10:11:38 PM2/14/11
to cr-48-te...@googlegroups.com
I figured it had something to do with the symbolic links, so I put those back (and wrote a bash script to do it, for next time). It it's not showing up in the plugins. What's odd is I manually updated Flash to 10.2, and it's still saying it's only 10.1.

Not sure what happened :\

w9jds

Feb 14, 2011, 10:23:52 PM2/14/11
to cr-48-te...@googlegroups.com
okay then go into chrome://flags and enable the API one and I think there are another one that triggers it haven't found it though but one of the flags need to be enabled for it to work.

Suicidetuna

Feb 15, 2011, 11:15:53 AM2/15/11
to cr-48-te...@googlegroups.com
Well that seemed to have done. I hd wiped the stateful_partition due to doin other things on the machine and then enabled most of the options in setting. I had to go thru the steps for java again and then bingo, it works.

Thanks for all your help.

On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 7:23 PM, w9jds <xboxmu...@gmail.com> wrote:
okay then go into chrome://flags and enable the API one and I think there are another one that triggers it haven't found it though but one of the flags need to be enabled for it to work.

Praetorius

Feb 15, 2011, 2:19:10 PM2/15/11
to cr-48-te...@googlegroups.com
The API flag shouldn't make a difference as that shouldn't affect plugins. Permission issue perhaps?

Suicidetuna

Feb 15, 2011, 2:20:52 PM2/15/11
to cr-48-te...@googlegroups.com
it could hve been a permissions issue. But I am not sure exactly what it was.

On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 11:19 AM, Praetorius <praetor...@gmail.com> wrote:
The API flag shouldn't make a difference as that shouldn't affect plugins. Permission issue perhaps?

Praetorius

Feb 15, 2011, 2:29:28 PM2/15/11
to cr-48-te...@googlegroups.com
One of the reasons why CHANGELOGs would be nice when they publish an update to Dev.

I can't imagine it being a permissions issue. All my links are 777 (as insecure and nasty as that is), but Chrome should be able to read them regardless. *shrugs* That kind of rules out permissions.

HockeyPhool

Feb 15, 2011, 4:21:38 PM2/15/11
to cr-48-te...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for your very clear instructions.  I was able to install the Java plugin to solve a completely different problem: using iPlanet Messenger Express webmail on my Cr-48 and not being able to compose, forward or reply to messages because it couldn't pop up compose windows!

w9jds

Feb 16, 2011, 12:26:30 AM2/16/11
to cr-48-te...@googlegroups.com
Glad I could help! :D

LeonBA

Feb 15, 2011, 11:57:36 PM2/15/11
to Cr-48 Test Pilots
I went through this twice, following it down to a Z

All links are fine, but the plugin just fails to show up in Chrome. No
idea what could be wrong...

I am trying to get Java up and running so I can at least use java VNC

ssh tunneling and all works fine. But there is a lack of a good VNC

On Feb 9, 6:25 pm, w9jds <xboxmusicn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The first thing you want to do is to start a terminal which is ctrl+alt+t
> you will then want to type the following commands
>
> >shell
> >sudo su
>
> once you have a red localhost: you need to run
>
> >sudo /usr/share/vboot/bin/make_dev_ssd.sh --remove_rootfs_verification
>
> once it goes through the kernels you need to reboot so type
>
> >sudo reboot
>
> now every time you have run these next two commands to exec or write
> anything
>
> >sudo mount -o remount,rw /
> >sudo mount -o remount,exec /mnt/stateful_partition
>
> now you are ready to run one of the walk throughs above.
>
> Now that you have root on your CR-48 I will be showing you how to get the
> Java plugin working on your Chrome browser.
> First you want to grab the Java self extracting file for Linux from here<http://goo.gl/Zd4HB>.

LeonBA

Feb 16, 2011, 12:05:29 AM2/16/11
to Cr-48 Test Pilots
Problem Fixed!

For the plugin to run, must add the tear/write permissions in shell

I used the info at https://sites.google.com/site/cr48ite/getting-technical/remove-rootfs-verification-make-read-write
to create a script
Code used:
#!/bin/bash
echo "Making FS Read/Write"
sudo mount -o remount,rw /
sudo mount -o remount,exec /mnt/stateful_partition
sudo mount -i -o remount,exec /home/chronos/user
echo "You should now have full Read/Write access"

exit

To save and exit hit
Ctrl+x
y (for yes to save) then enter
sudo chmod a+x /sbin/rw

Now every time you reboot and Read/Write access to the FS you can
simply go to shell and run:
sudo rw

Running this after boot makes the plugin work.

Todd Vierling

Feb 16, 2011, 11:11:57 AM2/16/11
to cr-48-te...@googlegroups.com
On Tuesday, February 15, 2011 11:57:36 PM UTC-5, LeonBA wrote:
I am trying to get Java up and running so I can at least use java VNC

Since you're already in developer mode, there is a CLI VNC client here:

LeonBA

Feb 16, 2011, 4:13:16 PM2/16/11
to Cr-48 Test Pilots
I am using a java based VNC currently. Works well enough to be used.

Thanks for the link though. There are some useful packages there!

Jimmy Shakes

Feb 19, 2011, 1:26:31 PM2/19/11
to Cr-48 Test Pilots
w9jds, thanks for your hard work figuring this out and thanks for the
clear instructions. I followed them, and Java installed. I used the
Java website to verify it is working.

However, seem certain sites (such as www.pogo.com), while no longer
prompting me to install Java, just sit on the page loading for a
couple minutes then crash out.

Is this perhaps because the sites use some other programming to run
their applications in conjunction with Java? Or, do you have any idea
what I may do to get that particular site to run?

Thanks,

w9jds

Feb 19, 2011, 11:06:03 PM2/19/11
to cr-48-te...@googlegroups.com
okay I have found this to be true. For some reason the java applet can't open a separate window when using chrome, but when I used Firefox it worked... it's not perfect mind you but I played through a whole game of chess on there but wasn't able to actually close the game window...

Jimmy Shakes

Feb 20, 2011, 3:52:53 PM2/20/11
to Cr-48 Test Pilots
Thanks again.

I've searched through this and the main forum and can't seem to find
anyone explaining how to install Firefox on the device. Can it be
installed along side Chrome, or does it require changing the OS?

Dennis Lockhart

Feb 20, 2011, 8:55:56 PM2/20/11
to cr-48-te...@googlegroups.com
Have you looked at w9jds's blog page explaining it - http://w9jds.blogspot.com/2011/02/how-to-get-firefox-running-in-chome-os.html
DennyL@GMail

Jimmy Shakes

Feb 20, 2011, 10:52:16 PM2/20/11
to Cr-48 Test Pilots
Thanks, Dennis. Didn't see that he had posted all this to his blog.
Very helpful information there for those of us moderately familiar
with Linux.

I got Firefox running, with Java, was able to open and play the games
I talked about. However, I closed out Firefox, now everytime I start
it it opens a Firefox page saying "Firefox is already running, but is
not responding..."

I used the "ps" command to find the process running, used "kill"
command to kill it. Reboot, still same thing is happening. Quite
odd. I can't see any processes that may be related to Firefox.

On Feb 20, 7:55 pm, Dennis Lockhart <denny.lockh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Have you looked at w9jds's blog page explaining it -http://w9jds.blogspot.com/2011/02/how-to-get-firefox-running-in-chome...
> *DennyL@GMail*

w9jds

Feb 21, 2011, 2:10:41 AM2/21/11
to cr-48-te...@googlegroups.com
How did you close Firefox? If you want to close and you didn't use the Firefox& command to run it you can just switch windows to terminal and press ctrl+c and it should close all Firefox instances without a problem. If you have rebooted however that is very odd. I can look into this soon just have to get over my giant load of homework in the next couple days.

Dennis Lockhart

Feb 21, 2011, 10:46:05 AM2/21/11
to cr-48-te...@googlegroups.com
Yep, I installed it also and ran into the same problem - Firefox is already running...
I mainly did it as an exercise though so I'm not too concerned, I may work on it a little more when I get some time to dig into it.
DennyL@GMail

Steve Pirk

Feb 21, 2011, 12:20:48 PM2/21/11
to cr-48-te...@googlegroups.com, Dennis Lockhart
Make sure you check for any flag type files that get created when you start Firefox. I used to have to remove the SingletonLock file [~/.config/google-chrome/SingletonLock] for Chrome all the time in my early days of Chrome browser testing. The SingletonLock file contained the uid and pid number [I think] of the last unix user that was running Chrome when it crashed or did not shut down cleanly.

When you kill a process, especially with a -9 flag, you can be fairly certain it did not have a chance to clean up it's lock files...

-- steve

Tarndeep

Feb 22, 2011, 10:02:44 AM2/22/11
to Cr-48 Test Pilots
Great Tutorial, but when I type su, sudo, or shell, or stuff like that
I get unknown command, and I can't continue with the tutorial. Any
ideas?

Steve Pirk

Feb 22, 2011, 2:52:09 PM2/22/11
to cr-48-te...@googlegroups.com, Tarndeep
Tarndeep, it sounds like you are not in developer mode on your Cr-48. You only get the shell if you have flipped the dev switch under the battery.

Do not switch if you have files downloaded to the File Shelf. Going into dev mode erases the stateful partition. Upload them somewhere first ;-]

-- steve

Adamx

Feb 23, 2011, 6:28:17 PM2/23/11
to cr-48-te...@googlegroups.com
" Going into dev mode erases the stateful partition. Upload them somewhere first ;-] "

See, that's the problem with the CR-48 -- my downloads aren't automagically safe in the cloud when the hazmat suit guy comes to take my laptop. Hopefully the ChromeOS developers are working closely with the Google Docs developers to make that happen!

Steve Pirk

Feb 24, 2011, 2:56:24 AM2/24/11
to cr-48-te...@googlegroups.com
I am looking for the File Shelf to be able to sync to gdocs in future builds [fingers crossed]. This would save tons of time shen you switch to a different machine, say when you get home.

-- steve

caleb

Mar 5, 2011, 5:33:35 PM3/5/11
to cr-48-te...@googlegroups.com
i can go to the terminal but i guess i am not understanding what you have written, but all the commands you tell me to type in don't work.
do you know what i am doing wrong?

w9jds

Mar 6, 2011, 12:41:05 PM3/6/11
to cr-48-te...@googlegroups.com
you in developer mode?

caleb

Mar 6, 2011, 10:35:13 PM3/6/11
to cr-48-te...@googlegroups.com
um...dont think so. how do i find out? and how do i go into developer mode?

Steve Pirk

Mar 7, 2011, 4:49:16 AM3/7/11
to cr-48-te...@googlegroups.com, caleb
To go into hardware developer mode [the only way to be able to issue real shell commands], you need to power down, remove the battery and then flip the developer switch [under the black tape next to the to the power buss connector].

You can probably Google "location of the cr-48 developer switch" to get a picture of where the piece of tape you need to remove is located.

-- steve

On Sun, Mar 6, 2011 at 19:35, caleb <choo...@gmail.com> wrote:
um...dont think so. how do i find out? and how do i go into developer mode?

caleb

Mar 8, 2011, 1:04:19 AM3/8/11
to cr-48-te...@googlegroups.com, caleb
ok, so i have gone to developer mode and done all the things you tell me to do but i can't seem to do the last thing you tell me.

JP

Mar 30, 2011, 9:01:19 PM3/30/11
to cr-48-te...@googlegroups.com
I followed the directions and it worked fantastically. I restarted and tried to use it again, and the plugin seems to be missing. All of the files and links are still there and appear to be good, but it no longer shows up in about:plugins

w9jds

Apr 1, 2011, 1:59:23 PM4/1/11
to cr-48-te...@googlegroups.com
For some reason in the newer builds it doesn't show up because you don't have read/write access. What I did was make a script to make read/write a one command thing then restarted my chrome, I just went to the chrome folder and ran a new instance and it showed up after that.

JP

Apr 3, 2011, 12:07:27 AM4/3/11
to cr-48-te...@googlegroups.com
Can you share the script please? And what do you mean by "went to the chrome folder and ran a new instance?"

w9jds

Apr 3, 2011, 5:58:16 PM4/3/11
to cr-48-te...@googlegroups.com
I put a walk-through on my blog listed higher, as for the new instance if you go into the google folder on your CR-48 you will find a chrome command if you run that its like opening another window of google chrome. once you do that my java started working.

Stephen Vanderwarker

Aug 11, 2011, 5:37:48 PM8/11/11
to cr-48-te...@googlegroups.com
you got minecraft working on cr48?!?! i got the java and such but its just a black screen when i go to load it  :/
 should i wait longer or something? plz reply :D

w9jds

Sep 2, 2011, 7:54:18 AM9/2/11
to cr-48-te...@googlegroups.com
I had it working, It no longer works past the login screen, I will be revising my walkthrough once I find a fix for this.

Maximilian Richt

Sep 27, 2011, 5:37:01 AM9/27/11
to cr-48-te...@googlegroups.com
In newer OS versions xrandr is gone. You have to install emerge (http://www.chromium.org/chromium-os/how-tos-and-troubleshooting/install-software-on-base-images) and then install it again with emerge xrandr.

w9jds

Oct 21, 2011, 2:54:29 PM10/21/11
to cr-48-te...@googlegroups.com
I have it working again :)

Lucas Pozzi

Oct 21, 2011, 8:26:00 PM10/21/11
to cr-48-te...@googlegroups.com

B-)

Lucas
347-735-8227

On Oct 21, 2011 2:54 PM, "w9jds" <xboxmu...@gmail.com> wrote:
I have it working again :)

Rob Bean

Oct 7, 2012, 5:42:06 PM10/7/12
to cr-48-te...@googlegroups.com
Going to ask the obvious:

Have you flipped the developer switch in the battery bay? If you
have, try restoring the OS from USB and flashing again. If you
haven't, do that. The shell isn't available unless that switch is in
the developer position.

On Sun, Oct 7, 2012 at 12:27 PM, merk28631 <merk...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> You can also link the control panel there if you want that would be
>> >ln -s /mnt/stateful_partition/opt/jre1.6.0_23/bin/ControlPanel
>> next you want to place the plugin for chrome into the chrome plugin folder
>> for all of you remember that the libjavaplugin_oji.so is NOT the plugin you
>> need for this you need the next generation plugin.
>>
>> >cd /opt/google/chrome/plugins
>> >ln -s /mnt/stateful_partition/opt/jre1.6.0_23/lib/i386/libnpjp2.so
>>
>> Now you have Java in your plugins. all you have to do is go into your
>> settings in chrome then under the hood then disable individual plugins and
>> it should be listed. You should be all good to go!
>>
>> If something didn't work make sure to go to your directories where you
>> made links and do the ls command if the link is highlighted red that means
>> its bad you need to do rm and redo the link.

The world is full of tough guys. It doesn't need me to be one, too.

Steve Pirk

Oct 28, 2012, 6:01:26 PM10/28/12
to cr-48-te...@googlegroups.com
Have you gone into the shell in dev mode? ctrl-alt-t brings up a chros> shell prompt, and you have to type "shell" to get into bash.
If you are in a shell, then try to list the script you are referencing, e.g. ls -l /usr/share/vboot/bin/make_dev_ssd.sh

The file is on my Cr-48, so the command should work.

-- steve

On Sun, Oct 28, 2012 at 12:25 PM, Mati <ms2...@student.leyden212.org> wrote:
It seems that any command I type into the shell says "No such file or directory." This pops up when I type sudo /usr/share/vboot/bin/make_dev_ssd.sh --remove_rootfs_verification. Please help! Thanks. You can email me at spaceinva...@gmail.com or just post the answer here. Thanks again!

Mateusz Szelazek

Oct 28, 2012, 8:03:33 PM10/28/12
to cr-48-te...@googlegroups.com
The command is is not found. I have included screenshots of the problem. Thanks again!

P.S. I am in dev mode.

Screenshot 2012-10-28 7:01:37 PM.png
Screenshot 2012-10-28 6:57:54 PM.png

Steve Pirk

Oct 28, 2012, 9:48:31 PM10/28/12
to cr-48-te...@googlegroups.com
You are in the correct shell, and the first command you listed worked. ./make_dev_ssd.sh means "run it fro the current directory. The command they use as an example assumes you are already in /usr/share/vboot/bin when you execute their example, so try passing sudo the full path:
sudo /usr/share/vboot/bin/make_dev_ssd.sh --remove_rootfs_verification --partitions 4

I think that will do it.

On Sun, Oct 28, 2012 at 5:03 PM, Mateusz Szelazek <ms2...@student.leyden212.org> wrote:
The command is is not found. I have included screenshots of the problem. Thanks again!

P.S. I am in dev mode.

Mateusz Szelazek

Oct 29, 2012, 11:35:28 AM10/29/12
to cr-48-te...@googlegroups.com
I did what you said and it worked. Next I rebooted and typed the commands >sudo mount -o remount,rw /
 and >sudo mount -o remount,exec /mnt/stateful_partition. This brought up a list of things I should do. I included a screenshot. Thanks again!

Screenshot 2012-10-29 10:34:57 AM.png
Screenshot 2012-10-29 10:34:49 AM.png

Mati

Oct 29, 2012, 1:33:41 PM10/29/12
to cr-48-te...@googlegroups.com
Can someone make a complete video tutorial? Thanks. Once i got past the first two steps and entered the command >sudo remount -o remount,rw/ shell said: sudo: mount -o command not found. Anyone know what this is all about?

Dennis Lockhart

Oct 29, 2012, 5:46:09 PM10/29/12
to cr-48-te...@googlegroups.com
It looks like all you're missing is a space after the command and before the file system, try this (note the space after 'remount,rw'):
sudo remount -o remount,rw /mnt/stateful_partition
sudo remount -o remount,rw /

Hope this helps...

On Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 1:33 PM, Mati <ms2...@student.leyden212.org> wrote:
Can someone make a complete video tutorial? Thanks. Once i got past the first two steps and entered the command >sudo remount -o remount,rw/ shell said: sudo: mount -o command not found. Anyone know what this is all about?

--
From the "Cr-48 Test Pilots" Google Group.

DennyL@GMail

Dennis Lockhart

Oct 29, 2012, 5:49:43 PM10/29/12
to cr-48-te...@googlegroups.com
Oops, I screwed up and didn't specify the entire command, I'll try again -

sudo mount -o remount -o remount,rw /mnt/stateful_partition
sudo mount -o remount -o remount,rw /

Sorry 'bout that...
--
DennyL@GMail

Mateusz Szelazek

Oct 29, 2012, 6:12:12 PM10/29/12
to cr-48-te...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, that helped. Now I'm stuck at the part where I'm supposed to run the folder. I've included a screenshot. Thanks again!
Screenshot 2012-10-29 5:11:01 PM.png

Dennis Lockhart

Oct 29, 2012, 6:20:17 PM10/29/12
to cr-48-te...@googlegroups.com
It could be you need root permissions so you need to prefix each command with 'sudo' or you could just execute a root shell first with 'sudo -i' and then you wouldn't have to prefix each command with sudo - remember to type exit when done or you'll still be root.

On Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 6:12 PM, Mateusz Szelazek <ms2...@student.leyden212.org> wrote:
Thanks, that helped. Now I'm stuck at the part where I'm supposed to run the folder. I've included a screenshot. Thanks again!

--
From the "Cr-48 Test Pilots" Google Group.

DennyL@GMail

Dennis Lockhart

Oct 29, 2012, 6:22:04 PM10/29/12
to cr-48-te...@googlegroups.com
Nevermind, it looks like you already have a root command prompt '#' so sudo shouldn't be needed. Guess I should look before I leap - that's twice now...
--
DennyL@GMail

Mateusz Szelazek

Oct 29, 2012, 6:26:39 PM10/29/12
to cr-48-te...@googlegroups.com
I did and the same thing comes up: "no such file or directory"
Screenshot 2012-10-29 5:25:42 PM.png

Dennis Lockhart

Oct 29, 2012, 6:38:37 PM10/29/12
to cr-48-te...@googlegroups.com
The command to move the java file may have failed, refer to your 'Screenshot 2012-10-29 5:11:01 PM.png' image. Are you sure the jre...bin file still exists in your Downloads folder?
Also, once the file is moved to the opt folder and the permissions are changed your supposed to extract the files with tar not execute it with bash - refer to 'http://w9jds.blogspot.com/2011/02/how-to-get-firefox-running-in-chome-os.html'.

On Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 6:26 PM, Mateusz Szelazek <ms2...@student.leyden212.org> wrote:
I did and the same thing comes up: "no such file or directory"

--
From the "Cr-48 Test Pilots" Google Group.

DennyL@GMail

Mateusz Szelazek

Oct 29, 2012, 7:35:27 PM10/29/12
to cr-48-te...@googlegroups.com
Everything works until the execution point. I double checked if the file was still in my Downloads folder. It wasn't. I redownloaded it and redid everything. The same thing happened: "no such file or directory" at the chmod a+x jre-6u23-linux-i586.bin command. I went back to my downloads folder and the file disappeared again. It appears that the file is being moved somehwere in the process. Please help. Thanks again!

Dennis Lockhart

Oct 30, 2012, 12:00:45 PM10/30/12
to cr-48-te...@googlegroups.com
Let's take a look at a couple of folders, do -
ls -l ~/Downloads
ls -l /mnt/stateful_partition/opt
Does the jre...bin file show up in either folder?

On Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 7:35 PM, Mateusz Szelazek <ms2...@student.leyden212.org> wrote:
Everything works until the execution point. I double checked if the file was still in my Downloads folder. It wasn't. I redownloaded it and redid everything. The same thing happened: "no such file or directory" at the chmod a+x jre-6u23-linux-i586.bin command. I went back to my downloads folder and the file disappeared again. It appears that the file is being moved somehwere in the process. Please help. Thanks again!

--
From the "Cr-48 Test Pilots" Google Group.

DennyL@GMail

Mateusz Szelazek

Oct 30, 2012, 1:39:27 PM10/30/12
to cr-48-te...@googlegroups.com
Screenshot 2012-10-30 12:39:06 PM.png

Steve Pirk

Oct 30, 2012, 2:30:53 PM10/30/12
to cr-48-te...@googlegroups.com
I am sorry I did not look at the screenshots closer yesterday.

There needs to be a whitespace between the last command flag and the directroy/partition you want to modify. Try using:
sudo mount -o remount,exec /mnt/stateful_partiton (note the space between exec and /mnt)

The command is failing, because it is not seeing the /mnt/stateful_partition part, and thinks it is one of the flags you are passing the command.

On Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 8:35 AM, Mateusz Szelazek <ms2...@student.leyden212.org> wrote:
I did what you said and it worked. Next I rebooted and typed the commands >sudo mount -o remount,rw /
 and >sudo mount -o remount,exec /mnt/stateful_partition. This brought up a list of things I should do. I included a screenshot. Thanks again!

Dennis Lockhart

Oct 30, 2012, 2:36:42 PM10/30/12
to cr-48-te...@googlegroups.com
You can't look at these folders in the browser, look at them from a shell command line - see my last post.

Steve Pirk

Oct 30, 2012, 2:38:01 PM10/30/12
to cr-48-te...@googlegroups.com
/home/chronos/user is not where /mnt is.
You need to provide the path the the file you are trying to execute, so if you moved the .jre to:
/mnt/stateful_partition/opt
then you need to use this command to run the java installer:
sudo bash /mnt/stateful_partition/opt/jre-6u23-linux-i586.bin

Or, you could
cd /mnt/stateful_partition/opt/
sudo bash ./jre-6u23-linux-i586.bin

See if that works.

Dennis Lockhart

Oct 30, 2012, 2:52:05 PM10/30/12
to cr-48-te...@googlegroups.com
I just noticed that you are using the letter 'i' in your command when you should use the letter 'l' (lower case): use 'ls -l' not 'is -l' or 'Is -l'. It's the linux list command.

On Sun, Oct 28, 2012 at 8:03 PM, Mateusz Szelazek <ms2...@student.leyden212.org> wrote:
The command is is not found. I have included screenshots of the problem. Thanks again!

P.S. I am in dev mode.

--
From the "Cr-48 Test Pilots" Google Group.

DennyL@GMail

Mateusz Szelazek

Oct 30, 2012, 5:40:53 PM10/30/12
to cr-48-te...@googlegroups.com
It says it won't run because I don't have enough disk space but my Downloads folder is empty. Thanks!
Screenshot 2012-10-30 4:36:57 PM.png

Dennis Lockhart

Oct 30, 2012, 7:10:00 PM10/30/12
to cr-48-te...@googlegroups.com
Enter this command to see how much space you have -

sudo df /mnt/stateful_partition/

If you don't have the required 266480 Bytes then you may have to delete some files in your Download folder.

On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 5:40 PM, Mateusz Szelazek <ms2...@student.leyden212.org> wrote:
It says it won't run because I don't have enough disk space but my Downloads folder is empty. Thanks!

--
From the "Cr-48 Test Pilots" Google Group.

DennyL@GMail

Mike Merk

Oct 30, 2012, 8:05:16 PM10/30/12
to cr-48-te...@googlegroups.com
when i enter the command sudo it says no command found

Mateusz Szelazek

Oct 30, 2012, 8:35:21 PM10/30/12
to cr-48-te...@googlegroups.com
You are not in dev mode. Open the right side flap and move the small switch. When the chromebook reboots it will show you a green sign with a cartoon laptop saying to reinstall the OS from a USB. Just click Ctrl d and everything should work. Tell me how things go.

Steve Pirk

Oct 31, 2012, 1:18:08 AM10/31/12
to cr-48-te...@googlegroups.com
One of the quickest way to verify that dev mode is enabled is to type shell when you are at a cros> prompt. If you get "Unknown command: 'shell',"  then you are not in dev mode.

I just updated to 24.0.1305.3 on my Acer AC700 a couple days ago. When I hit ctrl-alt-t to open the crosh shell just now, it prompts me for the root/superuser password. I fail three times and I get dumped into the regular cros shell. If I try typing shell, I get unknown command, because this chromebook is not in dev mode.

My question is... why is it asking for the sudo password when I open a cros shell? Especialy when I have not set one? It did not do that 2 days ago before the latest update... bug! lol

On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 5:35 PM, Mateusz Szelazek <ms2...@student.leyden212.org> wrote:
You are not in dev mode. Open the right side flap and move the small switch. When the chromebook reboots it will show you a green sign with a cartoon laptop saying to reinstall the OS from a USB. Just click Ctrl d and everything should work. Tell me how things go.

Dennis Lockhart

Oct 31, 2012, 10:49:03 AM10/31/12
to cr-48-te...@googlegroups.com
That is a mystery, I only have the Cr-48 so I can't test it - I'm on Version 23.0.1271.53 beta

Here's a couple of suggestions though that may help -

Can you get a shell prompt on virtual terminal 2 (tty2) via Ctrl-Alt-F2 (right-arrow)? If so, just enter chronos as the user and you get logged in without a password. At this point you can set a password for chronos and if you 'sudo -i' and get into root you can set a password for root too.

Hope this helps...
--
DennyL@GMail

Steve Pirk

Oct 31, 2012, 3:19:49 PM10/31/12
to cr-48-te...@googlegroups.com
I will try getting to tty2 on the Acer next time I do a restart. It won't bring up a terminal when I am logged in or from a lock screen.

From what I remember on the cros-discuss list, the cros shell via ctrl-alt-t was going to be going away, so maybe I am seeing the precursor to that.

John Richter

Oct 17, 2013, 2:11:06 PM10/17/13
to cr-48-te...@googlegroups.com

when i input the code ./jre-7u45-linux-i586.tar.gz i get this error code. bash: ./jre-7u45-linux-i586.tar.gz: cannot execute binary file. I also tried sudo bash jre-7u45-linux-i586.bin but then i got this error. bash: jre-6u23-linux-i586.bin: No such file or directory. can you please explain to me what i did wrong.

Rob Bean

Oct 17, 2013, 7:32:16 PM10/17/13
to cr-48-te...@googlegroups.com
The first bit of code:

./jre-7u45-linux-i586.tar.gz

isn't going to do what you expect. If this is the file you've downloaded, it's a compressed file and you'll need to extract its contents with something like:

tar -zxvf ./jre-7u45-linux-i586.tar.gz

which should produce a .bin file with the same name, if memory serves.

Then you could do:

./jre-7u45-linux-i586.bin

which will run the actual binary file so long as permissions are correct on the file.

On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 11:11 AM, John Richter <cameronri...@gmail.com> wrote:

when i input the code ./jre-7u45-linux-i586.tar.gz i get this error code. bash: ./jre-7u45-linux-i586.tar.gz: cannot execute binary file. I also tried sudo bash jre-7u45-linux-i586.bin but then i got this error. bash: jre-6u23-linux-i586.bin: No such file or directory. can you please explain to me what i did wrong.

From the "Cr-48 Test Pilots" Google Group.

The world is full of tough guys.  It doesn't need me to be one, too.