Re: [Cr-48 Test Pilots] Trouble getting CR-48 to factory reset.

Rob Bean

Jan 14, 2013, 2:09:07 PM1/14/13
to cr-48-te...@googlegroups.com

You'll have to flash the original bios back onto your CR-48. You don't have to undo the security switch bypass.

After you have flashed the original bios back on to the CR-48, you'll have no option but to wipe it clean and start over.

Don't have the link handy since I'm on my mobile device, but there's a page on one of the CR-48 wikis with original bios files by model.

On Jan 14, 2013 11:01 AM, "Darryl Lawler" <madha...@gmail.com> wrote:
I have InsydeH2O BIOS flashed on my CR-48.

I am able to get into the F10 and F2 screens.

Once the CR-48 gets past those BIOS POST screens, the CR-48 boots directly into ChromeOS.  Whether the dev switch is towards the gold contacts or not.

I am unable to get it to show the "sad face blue screen" regardless of what position the dev switch is in.

Also, once in ChromeOS, I'm unable to Alt+Ctrl+-> to enter the terminal.

I can Alt+Ctrl+T to get into crosh, but there is no "shell" command available from the help menu.

When I go into the "About" screen, it says that I'm running Firmware 0.08 and the Dev-Unstable build of Chrome 16.0.912.10

Also, when I'm in the login screen and type Alt+Ctrl+Shift+R nothing happens.  No reset button, no option to factory reset.

When I try pressing the "reset" button underneath the CR-48, again, nothing happens.

I just want to get this back to original factory conditions so I can get out of ChromeOS 16 and upgrade to the current version.

Any suggestions or assistance would certainly be appreciated.

Thanks!!

-Darryl

--
From the "Cr-48 Test Pilots" Google Group.

Darryl Lawler

Jan 14, 2013, 3:07:56 PM1/14/13
to cr-48-te...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rob!  Thank you very much for the prompt response.

http://cr-48.wikispaces.com/Flash+BIOS

At the bottom of that page.

I've been working at that using Ubuntu 11.10 and having challenges.  One of them being the inability to connect to a wifi connection.  Without that, the Ubuntu Software Center cannot connect to the repositories and download flashrom.

When I downloaded a .deb of flashrom, the Ubuntu Software Center would not load it for some reason.  (not sure how to diagnose exactly why)

I'm going to give the whole process another shot using the 11.04 that is linked in the directions, not 11.10.

I had originally used the 11.10 because I didn't want to wait for the download so I tried it with the 11.10 .iso I already had on disk.

I'll return with the results.

Thanks again.

Rob Bean

Jan 14, 2013, 3:14:27 PM1/14/13
to cr-48-te...@googlegroups.com

Good luck. I have flashed the BIOS back and fourth a couple of times now.

The last time I flashed it back, I opted to use Jay Lee's Chrubuntu script/build to get my Linux fix. Rarely boot back into ChromeOS, but the option's there for situations where I get curious to see what Google's done with the OS.

Darryl Lawler

Jan 14, 2013, 4:46:12 PM1/14/13
to cr-48-te...@googlegroups.com
Apparently following directions makes a world of difference.

I'm rather shocked that Ubuntu 11.03 is the *only* distribution that works for this.  I tried 10.04, 10.10, 11.10 and 12.04.  None of those would work for me, but this 11.03 is perfect.

thank you for the suggestion.  I'll explore that option.  Sounds like it may be the solution I'm seeking.