Sharing some cautious thoughts...

Discover Paragliding!

Apr 24, 2014, 2:08:34 AM4/24/14
to Cascade Paragliding Club
Not sure how many of you yet know, but there was a serious speed flying accident at the point on Sunday. The pilot was hospitalized and in very critical condition with severe head and bodily injuries. Unfortunately he succumbed to those injuries today. Tragic, in every sense. :-(

Spring turbulence is the main attributed factor that I have read. Something to consider as we head into 'spring carnage' season: Do to the angles of the sun, there is just as much potential heating right now as there is in early September. You know, those late summer days when you get roasted just walking across the street? That same heat energy exists now, except the air above is much, much colder. Ripping thermals are the result. Lots to be said on this topic, but just touching on it here.

As we approach the Oceanside fly-in this weekend, with weather conditions forecast to be on the strong side, I have to encourage paragliders and speed flyers alike to be mindful of  the conditions. Strong south winds can exacerbate the 'house on the hill' rotor, so be very careful getting close to that area. If you are unfamiliar with the site, chat with someone who has some experience with the changing location of the rotor with wind direction and speed. Also, be aware that going low over the 'house' is unnecessary, even if you are getting low. While leaving with plenty of altitude is always the best advice, if you find you are to low over the terrain/buildings, going around the point and out into the clean air can be a better (albeit more intimidating) option than trying to skim through a potential rotor zone.

We also have some new construction on the hill, and we'll all be learning how that's going to affect the airflow together. I don't expect that it will be much of a direct effect, but having the new house up there does provide a new target to land on. Crash into? We certainly don't need to leave that 'impression' on the new neighbors.

Also note that there is going to be an open house there on Saturday. The realtor is going to be there, hoping to coerce one of us into getting a new club house! At least stop in an thank her for maintaining the Oceanside web cam that we all rely on so often. She, and the builder/designer of the new house have done what I think is a great job at keeping the impact of our new structure as low as possible on our activities. Someone is going to get a very nice sunset view!

Let's do our best to have nothing but a great time this weekend. There will always be another time to fly if conditions are sketch. Don't fall into the infamous fly-in mentality, but make your flight decisions like it was any other day. Just because 'everyone' else is flying still doesn't mean it's a good idea!

Very much looking forward to seeing everyone this weekend! It's going to be fun, with perfect weather too!

Brad
--

See you up there,

Brad and Maren