Cape Lookout - Wing in a Tree

Laren Hale

Nov 27, 2019, 11:08:17 AM11/27/19
to Cascade Paragliding Club
As some of you might have seen my post in Facebook Paragliding Incident Discussion group or saw the Tillamook Herald.  I landed in a tree on Monday.   Dirk suggested there are people that can safely remove the wing from the tree.  I'm sure the hell not going up that tree. I was glad to get down the tree.  Can I get suggestions ... maybe a phone number of people with the expertise and equipment to remove the wing?

Mark Sanzone

Nov 27, 2019, 12:15:11 PM11/27/19
to laren...@comcast.net, Cascade Paragliding Club, Sam Mulder
Sam Mulder is the man.  He is copied.
Mark

Sent from my iPad

On Nov 27, 2019, at 8:08 AM, Laren Hale <laren...@comcast.net> wrote:

As some of you might have seen my post in Facebook Paragliding Incident Discussion group or saw the Tillamook Herald.  I landed in a tree on Monday.   Dirk suggested there are people that can safely remove the wing from the tree.  I'm sure the hell not going up that tree. I was glad to get down the tree.  Can I get suggestions ... maybe a phone number of people with the expertise and equipment to remove the wing?

Samuel Mulder

Nov 27, 2019, 12:19:08 PM11/27/19
to Mark Sanzone, laren...@comcast.net, Cascade Paragliding Club
I could check it out Saturday. Tied up until then. Do you have a picture of the location?

The last one was very dangerous and not worth the $200

On Nov 27, 2019, at 9:15 AM, Mark Sanzone <msan...@yahoo.com> wrote:

Sam Mulder is the man.  He is copied.

Samuel Mulder

Nov 27, 2019, 12:26:10 PM11/27/19
to Mark Sanzone, laren...@comcast.net, Cascade Paragliding Club
Just looked at the pictures in the headlight herald. It’s in a much better location that the last one, 200’ down the face of the cliff. It’s within my skill set if you want to wait till the weekend for retrieval.

Seward might be an option or certainly Walkers Contract Cutting in Tillamook. He’s a pro timber faller/arborist. He might be more expensive than me. I’m $50 to show up and $100/hr for time aloft.

On Nov 27, 2019, at 9:15 AM, Mark Sanzone <msan...@yahoo.com> wrote:

Sam Mulder is the man.  He is copied.

Seward Whitfield

Nov 27, 2019, 1:10:34 PM11/27/19
to Mark Sanzone, Samuel Mulder, laren...@comcast.net, Cascade Paragliding Club
Hello all~

Just too hard for me to get away to retrieve wings anymore.  I used to do that quite a bit and even got a couple of
pilots down over the years.  I would still do about anything if a pilot was in danger of overnighting in a tree or something but our local rescue folks have gotten much better (their new gear etc) and seem to appreciate the change of routine.

Back in the day I charged a decent meal and a couple of beers, then as I got smarter a couple hundred more-or-less depending on the degree of difficulty and time involved.  By the time you figure getting the gear ready, the drive, the hard work of getting up to and de-sprucing a snaggy-ass wing into a bag...Sam's prices are more than fair.

Walker is a good guy and pretty fair but I'm not sure most woodsman are as careful with fabric and lines as another pilot would be.  Good luck and carry a lowering line and practice those descents.

Seward

Seward and Christy Whitfield Wild Rain Gallery 503 842 6405 9-5pm Tue-Sun www.wildraingallery.com, then Facebook link

Laren Hale

Nov 30, 2019, 10:33:26 PM11/30/19
to Cascade Paragliding Club
Just wanted to let everyone know that the wing is no long in the tree. Sam did his best to save the wing but the paraglider eating tree wouldn’t give up the wing without a fight. The wing ... slightly shredded and with the left risers sold separately is available at Black Friday discount prices.