Salem Soaring forecast looks great

Steve Forslund

Apr 18, 2014, 1:10:13 PM4/18/14
to CPC Groups
SOARING FORECAST FOR SALEM, OR DATE...4/18/2014...12Z
(Based on model generated sounding profile)

NOAA Salem soaring forecast looks nice!

THERMAL INDEX (TI), TEMPERATURE of CONVECTION (TOC) and POTENTIAL LIFT
at each level

HEIGHT | TI | TOC | POTENTIAL LIFT

4000 FT ASL | -5.3 | 52 | 212
5000 FT ASL | -4.2 | 54 | 255
6000 FT ASL | -2.9 | 56 | 296
7000 FT ASL | -2.1 | 58 | 348
8000 FT ASL | 2.0 | 66 | 328
9000 FT ASL | 3.6 | 69 | 359
10000 FT ASL | 4.4 | 71 | 408
11000 FT ASL | 6.6 | 75 | 427
12000 FT ASL | 8.2 | 79 | 456
13000 FT ASL | 9.8 | 82 | 493
14000 FT ASL | 10.5 | 84 | 543
15000 FT ASL | 10.9 | 85 | 603

HEIGHT OF THE -3 THERMAL INDEX....5856
TOP OF THE LIFT............7496
SALEM, OR MAX TEMPERATURE FORECAST.........62 DEGREES F
FIRST USABLE LIFT..........51 DEGREES F
HEIGHT OF FIRST USABLE LIFT..........3395 FT ASL
GREAT BASIN SOARING INDEX (max lift)...333 FT/MIN

UPPER LEVEL WINDS - Height (Feet Above MSL) | Direction | Speed (knots)
Morning #### Afternoon
4000 313 7 #### 210 5
5000 306 8 #### 189 5
6000 307 11 #### 213 3
7000 313 18 #### 247 5
8000 312 23 #### 233 10
9000 308 27 #### 238 12

keita sakon

Apr 19, 2014, 12:30:13 AM4/19/14
to cp...@googlegroups.com
So...when soaring forecast looks good in salem where do people go fly?

Stan Mordensky

Apr 20, 2014, 11:15:53 PM4/20/14
to keita sakon, Cascade Paragliding Club
I'd also like to know this secret...

On Fri, Apr 18, 2014 at 9:30 PM, keita sakon <keita...@yahoo.com> wrote:
So...when soaring forecast looks good in salem where do people go fly?

Gliderpete

Apr 21, 2014, 1:06:42 AM4/21/14
to stan.mo...@gmail.com, keita sakon, Cascade Paragliding Club
Chehelem, Peterson, Kutch... Salem is just one of two sites in Oregon where NOAA makes a soaring forecast. The other is Redmond.  The soaring forecast basically reflects the same parameters as the mm5 sounding, Pete

Sent from my iPad

keita sakon

Apr 24, 2014, 2:17:31 AM4/24/14
to cp...@googlegroups.com, stan.mo...@gmail.com, keita sakon
so do people post up here when they go to Peterson?  I'm relatively close as I'm in Salem but I'm new to the area so I'd like someone who is familiar with the site to show me around.  Any good contacts for Peterson on this board?

Glen Baker

Apr 24, 2014, 10:19:42 AM4/24/14
to keita...@yahoo.com, cp...@googlegroups.com, stan.mo...@gmail.com, keita sakon
Doesn't Peterson close for the season in a couple of weeks?

..glen

Sent from a iPad. Any strange grammatical errors are entirely the fault of Apple's annoying auto-correct feature or Siri's strange sense of humor...

Stan Mordensky

Apr 24, 2014, 10:28:21 AM4/24/14
to Glen Baker, keita...@yahoo.com, cp...@googlegroups.com
Glen, Peterson is open till the end of June.

Keita, I live in Albany and fly as often as I can there, which is usually Friday-Monday if conditions permit, but they haven't been recently. Send me your number and I'll give you a call before next time I head out. On light days, the site is really benign with a good LZ. I'd be happy to give you an intro when/if we both end up there. For Peterson, we want SSW to W winds (SW is best) between 3-7 mph. Anything higher and PB is blown out for us. Oh, and bring hiking poles that can fit into your harness.

Stan

Ancil Nance

Apr 24, 2014, 11:13:15 AM4/24/14
to stan.mo...@gmail.com, Glen Baker, keita...@yahoo.com, cp...@googlegroups.com
Description of Site: SITE IS OPEN FROM 11/1 THROUGH 5/31. Other times closed for fire hazard.

http://www.cascadeparaglidingclub.org/pages/peterson.php

Stan Mordensky

Apr 24, 2014, 11:14:00 AM4/24/14
to Ancil Nance, Glen Baker, keita...@yahoo.com, cp...@googlegroups.com
Whoops, end of May.

Stan

Glen Baker

Apr 24, 2014, 11:55:27 AM4/24/14
to Stan Mordensky, Ancil Nance, keita...@yahoo.com, cp...@googlegroups.com
On average, Stan and I were right about the closing date!

..glen

Sent from my iPhone. Any oddball words are the fault of Apple's darned annoying auto-correct feature.