Anybody see anything promising for 11.26

Steve Carpentier

Nov 25, 2014, 11:22:01 PM11/25/14
to cp...@googlegroups.com
Anybody watching the weather for tomorrow?  Bingen has potential for sledders but haven't checked the MM5 so it could be more?  Wind speed looks possible at Peterson but not sure about the SE direction.  Grizzly mountain might work but again, better site to launch into a SW wind and it might be pretty strong with forecast calling for around 8-9 SE.

Unless something persuades me to change my mind i will probably drive to the top of Grizzly since I am staying over near Madras for Thanksgiving.

- SC

Solomon Reisberg

Nov 25, 2014, 11:42:36 PM11/25/14
to cp...@googlegroups.com
My (totally beginner) read:

I bet Peterson will be way blown out for bags -- looks to me like 30ish at launch based on MM5.

Bingen looks like it could be pretty good, very light west and good lapse. If I can escape, that's where I'll head. I probably need to be in the office, though...will check back in morning to see what's up with the forecast.

Would love to hear more knowledgeable feedback on if others read it the same way or different...

Sol

Stan Mordensky

Nov 26, 2014, 12:07:09 AM11/26/14
to Steve Carpentier, Cascade Paragliding Club
I haven't had any luck SSE and more E at Peterson at ground level.

I was eyeing Kiwanda south.

Steve Carpentier

Nov 26, 2014, 12:13:04 AM11/26/14
to cp...@googlegroups.com
Never even thought about flying the South side of Kiwanda.  That seems like it would be fun.  I will be looking for something East on my travels to Madras but I hope you guys have fun!

Steve Forslund

Nov 26, 2014, 12:53:29 AM11/26/14
to cp...@googlegroups.com
Rarely works good and lots of public to deal with. I think at one point we were not suppose to land south of the base of the dune? not sure if that was or is true but easy to land back in the bowl

sf

On 11/25/2014 9:13 PM, Steve Carpentier wrote:
Never even thought about flying the South side of Kiwanda.  That seems like it would be fun.  I will be looking for something East on my travels to Madras but I hope you guys have fun!

Solomon Reisberg

Nov 26, 2014, 11:01:46 AM11/26/14
to cp...@googlegroups.com
Well, lapse looks good to 3k' at bingen with light west. If others are down to go, I could be easily convinced...If not, I'll just stay and catch up on work.

Sol

Steve Seibel

Nov 26, 2014, 11:50:29 AM11/26/14
to sol.re...@gmail.com, cp...@googlegroups.com
Interesting.  Based on MM5 surface wind map and NOAA surface wind prediction (I checked for Tangent, OR), I'm thinking Petersons low launch will have very light winds- too light.  But there's a huge wind gradient with very strong wind a little further up, according to MM5 soundings.

Kind of curious to know how this day will unfold.

Steve

Stan Mordensky

Nov 26, 2014, 12:25:08 PM11/26/14
to Steve Seibel, sol.re...@gmail.com, cp...@googlegroups.com
A hex on your house, Steve. I was all content to be at Kiwanda around 1pm today, now you've got me looking at Peterson.

At Peterson, I see a tiny bit of E in S, which supposedly will straighten out to more due S throughout the day, but the speed is good... There are patches of sun down here right now... and PB is only 20 min from where I work rather than an 1h 40min...

All that said Kiwanda S looks decent, I think.

I've got till 11 to decide.

Stan