Oceanside Open tandem pilots

vince price

Apr 18, 2019, 6:28:39 PM4/18/19
to Cascade Paragliding Club
I'm starting to hear about some people interested in taking a tandem flight during the event.  Are there any USHPA certified tandem pilots intending to come and possibly take some passengers?  Paid of course.

-V

Mark Sanzone

Apr 18, 2019, 11:51:06 PM4/18/19
to vince.p...@gmail.com, Cascade Paragliding Club, OHGA
Late breaking news!

We will NOT be able to do tandems at the event.  Our event insurance specifies no tandems or training at the event.  FAA has cracked down on the exemptions so things are different this year.

Sorry, Mark.

PS. I will update the web site to clarify this.

Sent from my iPad

On Apr 18, 2019, at 3:28 PM, vince price <vince.p...@gmail.com> wrote:

I'm starting to hear about some people interested in taking a tandem flight during the event.  Are there any USHPA certified tandem pilots intending to come and possibly take some passengers?  Paid of course.

-V

ma...@mgforbes.com

Apr 19, 2019, 12:10:00 AM4/19/19
to ohga...@yahoogroups.com, vince.p...@gmail.com, Cascade Paragliding Club
Please don't. If it's taking place at or during the event, it's associated with the
event. We're asking pilots to please respect the rules and abide by them. There
are plenty of other opportunities to fly tandems for instructional purposes, and
teaching new students to fly during the middle of a recreational flying event is
not within the bounds of what we're supposed to be doing.

It would NOT be advantageous to the sport for tandem instructors to show up
and conduct flight instruction in the middle of the event. Most likely, doing that
would threaten cancellation of the event insurance in future years. We are already
on thin ice, this year, given the number of accidents that have happened at the
previous few Oceanside events.

Please don't push the rules on this. It's a recreational flying event, not a training
session. All tandem flying is instructional ONLY, per the most recent mandate
from FAA. There is no training at this event. Therefore there are no tandems.

MGF

Apr 19, 2019, 12:29:17 AM4/19/19
to ohga...@yahoogroups.com, vince.p...@gmail.com, Cascade Paragliding Club
Unregistered pilots will NOT be launching at this event.  No one goes off launch without a wrist band issued at registration.
There is a double check process for this. Oceanside launch is private property so we can control who is even allowed on the property.

Our state park permit gives us control of CLO launch from 9 am Saturday until 6 pm Sunday.

Unregistered pilots are free to fly outside of those hours or at other sites.

Mark Sanzone

Posted by: <ma...@mgforbes.com>

.

__,_._,___

Ryan Kern

Apr 19, 2019, 11:20:39 AM4/19/19
to Cascade Paragliding Club
Mark(s),

It might be good for out of town tandem pilots to know what sites are encompassed in this event. CLO, Oceanside, and Kiwanda?

Thanks for getting the word out!

Ryan

Steve Carpentier

Apr 19, 2019, 1:03:43 PM4/19/19
to Cascade Paragliding Club
In Mark's post above it mentioned that the sites in question are Oceanside and CLO on Saturday and Sunday. Weather looks excellent. Hope to see lots of DAR pilots!