Coburg Ridge this weekend.

David Le

Jul 18, 2019, 4:51:57 PM7/18/19
to Cascade Paragliding Club
Our club needs a good thermic summer site. A few of us are headed to Coburg Ridge, near Coburg, Oregon, this Saturday and Sunday. Our president, Steve Carpentier, scoped this area and it looks promising. Going to camp, clear a launch, and check it out.

We're meeting at 9 am, Mohawk General Store, in Mohawk Oregon.

Eric Miller

Jul 18, 2019, 10:55:20 PM7/18/19
to David Le, Cascade Paragliding Club
Thanks for posting this here, Monsieur Le.
McGowen Creek Rd is the paved road that goes all the way up to what I think would work well as a launch.
Sounds like you and Steve have some other ideas that might work as well.
I think there's a lot of potential here for good summer flights, esp glass off as it faces west and is a long ridge.
Wish I could join you guys for the mission.
Good luck,
Eric

On Thu, Jul 18, 2019 at 1:52 PM David Le <asians...@gmail.com> wrote:
Our club needs a good thermic summer site. A few of us are headed to Coburg Ridge, near Coburg, Oregon, this Saturday and Sunday. Our president, Steve Carpentier, scoped this area and it looks promising. Going to camp, clear a launch, and check it out.

We're meeting at 9 am, Mohawk General Store, in Mohawk Oregon.

Mike Steed

Jul 19, 2019, 11:53:17 AM7/19/19
to David Le, ericm...@gmail.com, Cascade Paragliding Club
This is the one that interests me, viewed from above Brownsville looking SSE.  Probably easiest to get there from Brownsville, though up the backside from Shotgun Creek looks possible too.  Like most (all?) sites in Coburg hills, it is a long glide out to decent landing options, but there are a couple recent clearcuts just below.
Mike

Jul 19, 2019, 3:14:35 PM7/19/19
to Mike Steed, Eric Miller, 'David Le' via Cascade Paragliding Club
We have about 10 pilots camping out this weekend. Steve's presentation last week with photos and videos raised many eyebrows. We'll have a report of course.

Jens Peterson

Jul 19, 2019, 10:34:22 PM7/19/19
to asians...@gmail.com, Mike Steed, Eric Miller, 'David Le' via Cascade Paragliding Club
You certainly have my attention, I have been eyeing and scouting this general area for awhile now. has anyone worked out any landing sites with land owners or public lands yet?

-Jens

David Le

Jul 19, 2019, 10:44:23 PM7/19/19
to Jens Peterson, Mike Steed, Eric Miller, 'David Le' via Cascade Paragliding Club
We're assessing the landowners LZ when we get there. Time to knock on some doors... We're optimistic.

Steve Carpentier

Jul 19, 2019, 10:45:30 PM7/19/19
to jens.p...@gmail.com, David Le, Mike Steed, Eric Miller, 'David Le' via Cascade Paragliding Club
Landings, yes. Permission No, that's what we're attempting to figure out this weekend hopefully!

Bill Briskey

Jul 19, 2019, 11:47:58 PM7/19/19
to Steve Carpentier, jens.p...@gmail.com, David Le, Mike Steed, Eric Miller, 'David Le' via Cascade Paragliding Club
You guys need a chaperone so I'll be joining you for the day Saturday.  See you at 9!

Bill B

Bill Briskey

Jul 20, 2019, 11:08:12 PM7/20/19
to David Le, Cascade Paragliding Club
The CPC gang explored Coburg ridge today, and there were at least ten in attendance.  Three flew - me, Kevin, and Big Nick.  It was thermic for sure, although mostly bubbles - lots of them.  So the experience was like you were in a swing set - lift, sink, lift, sink, repeat.  We had no problems staying up and I logged two hours before we all landed next to the freeway in harvested grass fields.  Some observations from my perspective -

The first one off the ground was President Steve, although he was kiting and got popped up a few feet.  Therefore I propose that the site be named "Carpentier Popper" or something of that nature.  Besides, it was Steve who got everyone fired up to try it!

This location is a 20 minute drive from the town of Mowhawk.  It is a good thermal site, and favors NW-W wind.  We launched in NNW and it was good to have others around to help fluff, as there was additional turbulence from the hillside since it was cross and it took a few cycles for us all to get off safely.  Depending on who's GPS you use, launch is at about 2500 feet.  Top of lift for me was 3500.  The freeway is 3 miles west via crow.  The LZ below launch is very friendly, although a gate means an easy 1.5 mile hike out to the main road.  We were happy to not have to hike.   There is another valley due west that has plenty of open space to land.  Lots of options, and definitely not a concern for taking a sledder except the long drive to get you.  Steve says there are other launches for all other wind directions, so we'll have to do some more exploring.

At one point I tried to work my way upwind around a corner to check out another bowl to see if we could use it.  During my journey a nasty confluence came my way and I experienced a 50% collapse.  It started me into a slow spiral and when the wing re-inflated, I still had a cravat.  I was surprised that the cravat was turning me so I leaned the opposite way and used a little opposite brake to stop the turn.  I was plenty high so I wasn't worried about maintaining a specific direction, and that contributed to my lack of initial response to the turn and could have been uglier if I was on a higher-performing wing instead of my new Rush 5.  Once flying straight, I attended to the cravat by yarding in the stabilo.  This didn't work at first but a second time combined with some quick brake pumping input finally popped it out.  (The ears don't come out once I pull them on this glider unless I pump brakes, so this felt similar.)  At the time I didn't think of it, but I probably would have had the cravat out a lot sooner if I had forced a quick spiral to build up more pressure in the other side of the wing and then braked/leaned on the outside to stop it, a trick I learned from an SIV class with Brad Gunnuccio.  Since I had done a couple SIVs, the pucker factor wasn't extreme, and I was more irritated that I had lost a couple hundred feet with all the fooling around and had to turn back toward launch to tank up again, AND I was in a big pocket of sink.  I decided that conditions had changed enough in the wrong direction (it was after 2pm) and it was time to get grounded, so I tanked up over launch and headed west.

The valley winds were strong once we got down to around 1200 feet and when mixed with the thermal activity made for an interesting landing experience.  This was definitely one of those situations that is far closer to becoming an issue but doesn't - so you walk away not really knowing that the odds were not actually in your favor.  This is the risk we assume when we fly in these conditions.  XC pilots either know this or are fooling themselves.  Anyway, I watched Kevin parked for a period of about two minutes at about 20 feet off the ground before the lift allowed him to land safely, and I found out later that he was on full bar during those minutes and held it clear to the ground.  But once he touched down he brought his wing down with no issues.  I then kept hitting thermal bubbles and so pulled ears and pushed bar to load the wing and stay in position.  I got rocked a bit, but the wing was stable with more pressure on less fabric.  At about 50 feet I got off bar and ears and then pumped brakes to get the ears out because I was still sinking fast, then came to a nice stand-up landing with no issues.

We packed up in the shade and walked out just perfectly timed to meet our chase cars with smiles and congratulations all around.  I look forward to returning to "Popper," especially this fall when we still have nice days but less extreme temps and it might be even more fun to fly.  :)
Popper.JPG

On Thu, Jul 18, 2019 at 1:51 PM David Le <asians...@gmail.com> wrote:
Our club needs a good thermic summer site. A few of us are headed to Coburg Ridge, near Coburg, Oregon, this Saturday and Sunday. Our president, Steve Carpentier, scoped this area and it looks promising. Going to camp, clear a launch, and check it out.

We're meeting at 9 am, Mohawk General Store, in Mohawk Oregon.

Bill
Carpentier Launch.kmz

Dirk Larson

Jul 21, 2019, 1:37:14 AM7/21/19
to bill.b...@gmail.com, David Le, Cascade Paragliding Club
Great report, Bill!

Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 20, 2019, at 8:07 PM, Bill Briskey <bill.b...@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

Jens Peterson

Jul 21, 2019, 2:22:56 AM7/21/19
to dirkl...@gmail.com, Bill Briskey, David Le, Cascade Paragliding Club
There was a second round of flying, for a glass off session,

The general consensus was that the air calmed down significantly, and allowed 3 out of 4 pilots to top land,

 The 4th Pilot had penetrated quite well to the north, and had already made a move for the LZ in the grass fields near the Freeway, before the others top landed, but ended up being the last to land as he stayed parked over the long ridge near the LZ  he said he was happy hangin out  above the ridge until the retrieve vehicle came for him.

The first Pilot that landed in that field earlier in the first round was Big Nick,  who worked his diplomacy with the local land owners, and went over and thanked them for letting him land in their field, they said no problem and that we  could land their any time.  so go Job Nick for getting the wheels greased with very nice LZ,  I think it would be a great idea to foster good relations with those land owners to ensure there is is a long term option for this landing site.

The other pilots landed in another field further south,   continuing to find lift off a couple more ridges near the I-5 as they kept heading south.    and there are lots of fields as options, but  for long term LZ’s will have to get some relations going with some more of the local land owners, to open and keep open more options.

I live in Eugene, and have been researching this area since early spring,  but was very excited when I heard other pilots were also taking a serious look at this site.  there are a few other pilots in the area with some info,  I hope they will chime in and share,  there was one pilot that showed up that used to Hang glide Tom mountain many years ago before they gated off access to their launch.

I think the site will do well for Glass-offs, which this evenings flights certainly showed. and likely well earlier in the day before it gets very thermic and poppy,  as the north valley winds start off lighter and build during the day.  like most sites the mid day flying will likely be too rowdy especially mid summer, unless you have a high ceiling day, and then the XC potential could be very good with good timing.

The photo below only showed 3 out of the 4 pilots in the air at the time,   can you see the little orange wing?  certainly some room to move around and spread out.

This can be a technical site to say the least, there is rotor to the right of launch down the ridge depending on the wind direction such as due north,   and recommend pilots still treat this site as a new site with a lot of unknowns to carefully work out together as a team.

There is certainly some good potential here, and look forward to more information as pilots learn more and share as they continue to explore this site.

-Jens Peterson

Mike Steed

Jul 21, 2019, 10:42:18 PM7/21/19
to dirkl...@gmail.com, jens.p...@gmail.com, Bill Briskey, David Le, Cascade Paragliding Club
I was last to arrive at launch this Sunday around 3 PM; everyone else was done, snacking and having a beer.  I caught a quick half-hour flight, almost straight upwind to the rest area on I-5.  Yes, you'll need a thermal or two to get there, and I had to attach a forgotten speed bar sister hook so I could push bar.  Thermals weren't hard to find once you approached the mowed grass seed fields -- there was plenty of straw in the air.  My thermal was getting quite strong by the time I bailed out at 2500 feet -- I have no doubt it continued to 4 grand and beyond.  I hung out above the rest areas and then landed in a nice mowed field at the north end of the rest area.  Thank you Kavi for delivering my car to me shortly after I finished packing up!

We've been launching from the flank of Buck Mountain, from a wide spot in Mt Tom Road.  Prevailing wind is maybe 60 degrees cross to the overall terrain, maybe better near launch, but not ideal.

Earlier in the day I checked out Bald Mountain, 7 miles to the NE.  It faces more into the wind, but a locked gate is a bit of an issue.  I figure there are two ways to fly Bald Mountain:
  1.  If wind is expected to be strong NW, drive to the road that cuts across the slope halfway up, no gate.  Take Shotgun Creek Road and Crooked Creek Road to the top of the ridge, u-turn back down one road and head SW, no more turns necessary.  This road is plenty high to clear some tall trees and glide to the sloping pastures below.
  2. If you want to launch from the top (3450 ft), park at the locked gate on the saddle (turn SW 2 roads prior to the ridge).  This saddle is very wide open and not steep, so you should be able to land near your car.  The hike up from the locked gate is under a mile.
Mike Steed

Jul 22, 2019, 12:20:04 AM7/22/19
to Cascade Paragliding Club
We arrived at the mohawk general at 9am on Saturday. We headed up the hill around 915. When we arrived on launch it looked like it had great potential. All of the things you could ask for from a site. Big launch, easy bailout, lots of xc options, great road the whole way up. This place is gold we were already convinced. We continued down the road to check out some possibilities. One place looked promising but we would need permission from weyerhouser.
Bill was the first of us in the air when we went back to Briskey Bowl. It was strong but he handled like a pro. I followed shortly after and then Kevin. We all were a bit plucked. Definitely a s and d s kinda place. The ridge had abundant lift and there was a strong house thermal directly above launch. Easy glide out to the ridge towards I5 and a huge field to land in.
Tried the bailout lz today and it was smooth and easy to hit.

Luke

Jul 22, 2019, 9:09:57 AM7/22/19
to nfu...@gmail.com, Cascade Paragliding Club

Great work folks!  Thanx for posting!

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

[...]

Kaviyaan Khalil

Jul 22, 2019, 8:16:46 PM7/22/19
to Cascade Paragliding Club
What a great weekend!
My buddy Duncan and I drove down from Portland to meet the crew at Mohawk on Saturday morning.
After some scouting in the morning and watching Bill, Nick and Kevin fly in the early afternoon, I took off in the evening around 6:30pm from the same (first) candidate launch site.

Conditions were strong enough to very comfortably stay up and allow for some exploration of the ridge alongside David and Steve.  I spent some time soaring around launch, then benching up towards the radio towers and pushing north (I was pilot #4 in Jens' report, with the bright orange Epsilon 9).  From about 3200ft - just over the radio towers - I made the glide out to the small ridge in front of the LZ by I5 at 2000ft altitude, then soared it for a half hour or so while Duncan and Nick trekked down from the hill with Duncan's Tacoma to pick me up.  Despite the ridge only being about 1000ft at its highest point (I believe the valley floor is about 300), it kept me pinned at about 2000 ft smoothly and effortlessly.  Just before sunset everything shut off rather quickly, forcing a super easy landing a few hundred feet away in the LZ field identified by Nick.  Celebratory cider and chicken strips followed back in Mohawk.  That was a beautiful 2 hour sunset flight.

Sunday conditions were slightly lighter and more west.  Both days had relatively calm mornings, with conditions turning on around 1pm.
I had another short flight on Sunday from the same spot.  Looking forward to more!

I have a small stack of photos and videos of various pilots in a Google Photos album.  Happy to share upon request.

--
-Kavi

David Le

Jul 22, 2019, 9:02:16 PM7/22/19
to Cascade Paragliding Club
Pretty much everybody's flight report is spot on so I won't reiterate their report.

I'm just glad we pulled the trigger and finally checked out Coburg Ridge. I've been driving up and down I 5 for years and had my eyes locked on this ridge for years and knew it could be our next dependable summer site. Thanks to Steve Carpentier for getting us lazy butts in gear.

So far, this site has been logged, launch is on a public road with ample room to lay out wings, plenty of room to inflate and run. Site faces due W to NW with a hint of N. Saturday's weather was N to NNW about 10. Launch was quite a bit stronger in the afternoon. We all flew and had great flights but it looked a little rowdy during midday. 4 of us decided to save ourselves for the evening. Kavi had the first glassoff launch and up he went. Steve, Lucky Luke, and I followed up. I made it above the towers, went down the ridge and explored. I decided to come in for a top land to save on retrieve. Top landing was straight forward and easy, I had to sample the air on a few passes but nothing out of the ordinary. Steve followed suit, had to flap a few times but stuck the landing next to the party. Lucky Luke samples the air and gauged the distance a few times, we talked him in and he stuck the landing. Big smiles abound. Kavi decided to be safe and landed near I 5.  He was over I-5 and was at launch height....about 2000 ft.

Sunday's forecast was better. Light NW 8-10. It didn't turn on until a bit later in the day but Big Nick and Steve gave it a go. They both had a few passes but not enough consistent thermals. I was happier with a NW component and lighter winds today knowing the thermals would stay together. Consistent cycles were coming up and stronger and birds showing the way. I launched, headed north down the ridge to light cycles. Not going up nor down. Thought I turn back around towards launch and milk the know just south of launch.....there's our house thermal. That thermal took me up above launch away from trees where I can circle the thermal. That took me up to the towers and beyond. I arrived at 4 grand overlooking the whole ridge, Willamette Valley, and Eugene. Many bailout clear cuts up around the towers to consider. I decided to come in for a top landing but found strong thermals popping everywhere so I decided to be safe and land at bailout LZ. Thanks to Lucky Luck for retrieve. Jens Peterson and Kavi followed and landed at bailout.

This ridge has a lot of summer potential. It's been flown by hangs many times but popularity petered out and we're hoping to get it back. I think we stopped flying this site due to overgrown trees but now it's been cleared. Hope more join in..

David

Jens Peterson

Jul 23, 2019, 3:40:08 PM7/23/19
to nfu...@gmail.com, 'David Le' via Cascade Paragliding Club
Okay here is a little current weather info for the Eugene area.  Not that i expect anyone to be able to go flying today. More for my own educational
Purposes, anyone care to chime in on their take of flyability for this MM5 forcast that would be sweet.

Corvallis doesn't not pinch quite as tightly.  So Coburg could be a bit more of an average between the two.

Little cummies started forming all over the valley and mountians about 10 am ish. Current photo taken at noon, and nice and breezy here in the valley.

MM5 link. Forecast time 14:00 pinches nicely at pressure 850-860. = 4908HGTFT

--------

MM5 link. Forecast time 17:00 pinches nicely at pressure 850-860. = 4909HGTFT

Would be great to learn a little conditions analysis from some of you more experienced pilots.

See attached snapshots below.

Thanks,
-Jens

20190723_115930.jpg
Screenshot_20190723-121449_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20190723-122039_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20190723-120910_Windy.jpg

Mike Steed

Jul 23, 2019, 5:04:11 PM7/23/19
to jens.p...@gmail.com, nfu...@gmail.com, 'David Le' via Cascade Paragliding Club
2 pm looks good, kinda windy at 5, I'd also look at 10 AM to get a sense just how unstable it will be at 2.  Expect some turbulence at top of lift because of the wind direction change.
Mike

Jul 23, 2019, 5:26:05 PM7/23/19
to jens.p...@gmail.com, nfu...@gmail.com, 'David Le' via Cascade Paragliding Club
Oh, and some clouds at top of lift, plus maybe some high overcast that will mellow the lift.

Jens Peterson

Jul 24, 2019, 1:07:52 AM7/24/19
to Mike Steed, nfu...@gmail.com, 'David Le' via Cascade Paragliding Club
Mike,

 Thanks for the  your feedback on the forecast,  The MM5 data is new to me, so I have some learning to do here for sure.   I really appreciate you sharing some of your wisdom.

-Jens

Jove Lachman-Curl

Jul 24, 2019, 9:00:52 PM7/24/19
to jens.p...@gmail.com, Mike Steed, nfu...@gmail.com, 'David Le' via Cascade Paragliding Club
Hi all,
Jens and Bill, and everyone else for the great reports.
I've been signed up to CPC for years but never posted, and rarely read the posts, but I read the subject lines and noticed this one stand out. If I'd noticed this sooner I might have joined you all.

I have a little bit of history I could add.
I'm a hang pilot in Eugene, I few often for 3yrs or so after my training, but I've not flown in a couple years now as other things have taken my attention.
I got a tour of the old sites that the HGs used to fly in the Coburgs in the 90s. I was with an older hang pilot who used to fly these sites in the 90s, and 2000s.
The sites I saw were, "the 1700s" which was a bit grown in. It was over a logging gate and 1/4 mile to the left on foot. It faced West.
"North bowl" was left after the quarry, that gate was intermittently locked over the years that I've snooped around up there for flying sites or hunting. There was evidence of flying, streamer tape and such. It seemed like a decent site, but the was a bit grown in and I was a new pilot so I never tried it. North bowl faced WNW.
South bowl was reached via a dirt road south from north bowl. It was a WSW site, with a slot in the trees that seemed a little sketchy without a good straight in wind.
I'm quite eager to see this new clear cut you've found. I'll head up and take a look when I get a chance. Is anyone willing to share a location or an aerial screenshot from google maps?

The other interesting piece of history I have; "back in the day" when HP was big in corvallis hiring a lot of engineering wages there were a lot of hang pilots using the coburgs. "Mount Tom" was the premier site up there, this is the tallest peak, and when you look at the two hills in the coburgs from I5, it's the one to the left. This hill has a north west facing face that is pretty ideal for summer winds. It is at over 3000 Ft above the valley floor. Legend has it that they had a big wooden radial launch ramp on the north west face where I've located the A. in the image below. It is on Weyerhaeuser land, A HG pilot died here due to an equipment assembly mistake and there was some kind of disagreement with Weyerhaeuser and the ramp was cleared and they planted trees on the site. I've walked it, it's potentially an awesome site. But covered in 20" diameter 2nd growth trees last time I looked.

Has anyone looked at the clear cut at

44°16'18.2"N 122°56'20.8"W

Part of why I stopped flying was I got sick of the long drives so I'd be really pleased if a decent Coburg sight could be cultivated.

FYI, this hunting map is really good for Topo Maps. And has land ownership overlay LAYER.

image.png
image.png

cheers,
Jove

Mike Steed

Jul 24, 2019, 11:57:24 PM7/24/19
to Jove Lachman-Curl, jens.p...@gmail.com, nfu...@gmail.com, 'David Le' via Cascade Paragliding Club
The clear-cut you put a pin on is Bald Mountain, the one I checked out before flying Sunday.  The spot you marked is well below the top but accessible from the north.  The top is behind a locked gate to the South.  I like Bald, except the gate.

I'm still at HP after 39 years, flying paragliders 29 years, but never flew the Coburgs until Sunday.  Mt. Tom is all grown over as far as I know, but we're flying from Mt Tom road where it passes Buck Mountain.  Sounds like that wasn't an option when you were checking sites.

Bill Briskey

Jul 25, 2019, 2:34:39 AM7/25/19
to Mike & Paula Steed, Jove Lachman-Curl, jens.p...@gmail.com, nfu...@gmail.com, 'David Le' via Cascade Paragliding Club
Jove -

Welcome back!  Try this for Google Earth location of the site we flew.

Bill B

--
Bill
Carpentier Launch.kmz

Jove Lachman-Curl

Jul 25, 2019, 12:09:38 PM7/25/19
to Bill Briskey, Mike & Paula Steed, jens.p...@gmail.com, nfu...@gmail.com, 'David Le' via Cascade Paragliding Club
Thanks Guys,
I'll have to go check it out,
I can't Saturday, but I might be able to Sunday.
-Jove

Jens Peterson

Jul 26, 2019, 1:53:01 AM7/26/19
to Jove Lachman-Curl, Bill Briskey, Mike & Paula Steed, nfu...@gmail.com, 'David Le' via Cascade Paragliding Club
Jove,  and everyone else.

   Thanks for the info, Yes I hiked some of the areas you were taking about,  Such as "North Bowl”  It still looks very usable as a launch,  Not sure about enough glide to make it to the good leaning area if you hit some sink on the way to bailout,  but good top landing for PG’s right behind launch   I did notice a few Crosses with names on them at the edge of what looks like a take off.

The Clearred section just below it, is the south end of the same clearing as the Bailout LZ for the Buck Mountain Fights we did last weekend,  we were just landing in the further north section that was less  variable Terran, its not as flat down in the clearing as it looks from above. and highly advise anyone thinking of flying the Buck Mountain Site,  to walk the Lower Bail out Clearing area for themselves before flying.

You will want to make your final in line with the road, and further to the north, just past the last of the standing dead trees in the middle of the clearing.  this is the widest section to burn off altitude before turning for final down the road. and the clearest section next to the road that is not riddled with blackberry bushes,  scattered everywhere including right next to the road.   the road is also the flattest, anything else has more mounds and valley than you can see well from above.

Hope this image is useful to others.

Hi all,
<image.png>

--
Bill

John S

Jul 26, 2019, 12:40:30 PM7/26/19
to Cascade Paragliding Club
Great work people! I hope to join you down there some time soon.
John Saltveit

Jens Peterson

Jul 26, 2019, 10:52:46 PM7/26/19
to Jove Lachman-Curl, Bill Briskey, Mike & Paula Steed, nfu...@gmail.com, 'David Le' via Cascade Paragliding Club
Thanks Mike,

  I may have to see if I have the ability to add or edit anything, otherwise Whoever can is free to add it to the site guide.

Also Here is a link to my Google Drive CPC folder with some photos and Videos from last weekend, Enjoy.

-Jens

On Jul 26, 2019, at 7:42 AM, Mike Steed <steed...@hotmail.com> wrote:

Nice job on the image, belongs on a site guide….

On Jul 25, 2019, at 10:52 PM, Jens Peterson <jens.p...@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

<Buck Mountain Site ESE.jpg>