Anyone flying Local today ro tomorrow?

Spydermonkee

Aug 31, 2014, 1:05:17 PM8/31/14
to cp...@googlegroups.com
???  I am itching to get some airtime

l.dan...@comcast.net

Sep 1, 2014, 11:24:28 AM9/1/14
to ashevil...@gmail.com, cp...@googlegroups.com
I want to fly.  Who else?  A few spots look to have potential today.

Luke

Travis Potter

Sep 1, 2014, 11:29:25 AM9/1/14
to luke d, Cascade Paragliding Club, ashevil...@gmail.com

I'll be in portland area noonish was gonna head to the coast. Kiwanda forecast had potential.

l.dan...@comcast.net

Sep 1, 2014, 11:58:30 AM9/1/14
to Spyder McHenry, Travis Potter, Cascade Paragliding Club, ashevil...@gmail.com
The options that I see are Detroit (Hoover Ridge), bald Butte, Sollie and Kiwanda.

Pros and cons:

Detroit Pros:  Beautiful scenery, excellent lapse rate and lots of fun when it works.
Detroit cons:  need to clear trees near launch, longer drive,  winds may be a little more NW than ideal.

Bald Butte pros:  Beautiful scenery, excellent lapse rate.
Bald Butte cons:  tight LZ at ranger station, winds seem to funnel up the valley a bit on NW days making it a bit cross, I only had one flight there so more knowledge would be helpful.

Sent: Sunday, August 31, 2014 10:05 AM
Subject: CPC: Anyone flying Local today ro tomorrow?

???  I am itching to get some airtime

Steve Forslund

Sep 1, 2014, 12:08:40 PM9/1/14
to cp...@googlegroups.com
 Jim listed the closure of the Dole Valley road to Silverstar, as far as I know the other way in from Silver Falls may still be an option. Forecast looks OK but possibility of being too north, I thought about going to Silverstar yesterday.

Depending on when it burns off a chance to hike & fly Angora, not a great forecast but...

SF
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cpcl+uns...@googlegroups.com.

JK_PG

Sep 1, 2014, 12:24:50 PM9/1/14
to Cascade Paragliding Club
Tillamook has a high overcast layer at 7000' now that was supposed to have burned off already.  Looking at the satellite imagery there I see a lot of clouds in that area and more to the west.  If they don't burn off as forecast much of the thermal activity around Sollie may be shut down.

Just my $0.02 worth,

Jan

l.dan...@comcast.net

Sep 1, 2014, 12:55:05 PM9/1/14
to jk...@comcast.net, Cascade Paragliding Club
Does Hoover or Bald Butte appeal to anyone.  If not I think the coast is the way to go.  Sollie and/or try a hike and fly up Angora and maybe Kiwanda or have some races at CLO.

Luke

Gliderpete

Sep 1, 2014, 12:57:41 PM9/1/14
to jk...@comcast.net, Cascade Paragliding Club
I am staying home today but if I were considering flying I.d be seriously considering Elk Rock in the Toutle Valley, or maybe Silver Star.  Pete

Sent from my iPad

Mitch Prater

Sep 1, 2014, 1:25:16 PM9/1/14
to l.dan...@comcast.net, <jk_pg@comcast.net>, Cascade Paragliding Club
Has a consensus formed yet? If all else fails I'm going down to Pine to fly this evening, but I'd rather stay closer to home if a plan coalesces.

mitch

l.dan...@comcast.net

Sep 1, 2014, 1:34:59 PM9/1/14
to Mitch Prater, jk...@comcast.net, Cascade Paragliding Club
Myself and SpyderMonkey are planning to go to Silver Star.  We are going to check the road to the main parking lot which I think is open.  We plan to hike the ridge to launch then land in the west parking lot and hike back to the main parking lot.  I am going to make sure about the roads then we plan on leaving soon.  Anyone is welcome but it may be a bit more advanced for some.  I plan on enjoying a nice hike and if I get skunked I will be happy with scenery.

Luke

Mitch Prater

Sep 1, 2014, 2:01:24 PM9/1/14
to l.dan...@comcast.net, Cascade Paragliding Club
Sounds intriguing. If I had a bit more energy and weren't just a tiny bit hung over this morning I'd be up for it. But as it is, I think I'll be prudent and stick with a nice glass-off at Pine over that option.

Anyone else doing anything local that's not quite so adventurous?