Fw: Cape Lookout concerns for Hang Gliders and Paragliders

Bob Horning

Jan 15, 2020, 1:34:48 AM1/15/20
to Oregon Hang Gliding, cp...@googlegroups.com, ohga...@yahoogroups.com
Hi all,
To keep everyone in the loop I sent the letter below to the Tillamook County Roads Dept. for those that missed mine and Ray’s earlier emails they are re-paving the launch area at Cape Lookout, and we are speaking up now to make sure that the re-paving does not include any guard rails or posts at launch, and also to make sure care is given to Dick Gammon’s plaque. I also included the photos and one of Rick’s videos, which also coincides with the photos from the last Oceanside open.

Thanks,
Bob Horning
503-319-2007

Sent: Tuesday, January 14, 2020 9:47 PM
Subject: Cape Lookout concerns for Hang Gliders and Paragliders

Hello Janette and OPRD,

Thank you, Janette, for talking to me yesterday and providing me and the Hang Glider and Paraglider community a bit of input on a site that is very, very dear to us. Cape Lookout at Anderson’s view point has been a premier and iconic spot for Hang Gliding and Paragliding enthusiasts since the 1970s, offering one of the most incredible, and may I add, legendary areas to soar, with amazing vistas ranging from old growth forests to soaring with eagles to cliffs with pounding waves to looking for whales and amazing sunset flights!!!

The reason I am writing is we have heard that there is going to be some work around the Cape Lookout area, including Andersons View point. Our concern is not that they are improving the area by paving, that is more than welcome, our main concern is keeping the area that we use for launch clear from any obstructions, like a guard rail or posts. Guard rails or posts would be very detrimental for our community, for it would make launches very hard and very possibly dangerous. Because this is such an iconic spot to Hang Glide and Paraglide that is known throughout the United States and more, I do not believe that a guard rail would deter all, so it would instead make the area dangerous to those who would still try to fly. The other concern is that there is a plaque there at launch, cemented in the ground, that honors one of our Hang Gliding/Paragliding pioneers, Dick Gammon, we do ask that with any changes to please incorporate this plaque!

The Hang Gliding and Paragliding community is a very conscientious group, for our sport is in the environment, one of flying through what we like, pristine areas with amazing views. Because of that we are very conscious of any impacts, cleaning up the areas, leaving them better than when we arrived. I am hoping that this letter is more than just trying to keep a certain area available to us, I am hoping this letter will lead to better future communication and mutual cooperation so instead of reacting to situations we can be proactive and work together on many situations.

Attached is several photos of a fly in we had there last year in April. As you can see, our groups are large, this group was over 100 people, and consists of all ages. Some of these people came from as far as Canada! Here is a YouTube video of the fly in, you will see why we love this place!!   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHrqmAzGTZE&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR2aX8cjVtA19y1MHuG05vwYxy5pBUox4Cp2Vbxk5DdE7XV1wbXpygqBE4A

This morning I did send out a request to our group to see if I can represent them in this matter, and besides affirmation from many I also received the letter below from a Hang Glider group in Southern Oregon. As you can see, this area serves not only our local group, but serves people from far and wide and does bring in tourism to Tillamook County area!

I do hope that this letter is well received and do hope to hear back from you and OPRD! If there is a stake holders group and if you feel that it would be good to be at a meeting or even join the group, please let me know!!

One last thing, because there are attachments I’m not sure that the county email system will allow this, so when you receive this please let me know you got it! Again, thanks so much for listening!!

Thanks,
Bob Horning
503-319-2007

Bob,

Please accept our support from southern Oregon hang glider pilots in all your efforts to engage with OPRD with regards to the construction work that may be done at the Cape.

Know that even though we may not be local pilots to CLO, we consider the site one of those unique, historical hang gliding Oregon sites that is not infringed by USHPA or other entities:  It is still a free-flight site!

We add our voices to yours in representing us to protect Cape Lookout as a safe and unencumbered hang gliding site.

Set-up and parking improvements could even be possible and we would advocate strongly for.

With warm regards,

Dave Palmer
Rogue Hang Glider Pilots
Cape Lookout hang w-eagle.jpg
Cape Lookout launch.jpg
Cape Lookout paraglider launch.jpg
Cape lookout launch1.jpg
Cape Lookout paraglider launcha.jpg
Cape Lookout Hang glider & Paraglider crowds.jpg
Cape Lookout Hang Glider and Paragliders soaring.jpg
Cape Lookout Gammon Launch.jpg