bald butte report 09/16/2016

Sim-sim passenger

Sep 17, 2016, 12:49:42 AM9/17/16
to Cascade Paragliding Club

Good evening

  I had an awesome flight once again, about 40 mins.

I arrived up there at 2 pm.l The wind was already strong and the thermal was making it way too strong. I waited until the cirrus covered the valley, meanwhile I was watching the cyclic draft shaking the pine trees down the slope. I took off around 3p.m. The wind was more constant, although bumpy at the beginning. I stayed up there for a while soaring and climbing. I climbed until I was able to see the gorge on the east side (The Dalles). I also was able to see Mount Rainier, Mount Adams and Mount St Helene. The scenery was clear due to a low pressure system on the horizon.

  Then the wind got stronger and I could barely see myself moving away from the hills. I tapped on my GPS bip it responded “speed 14 km\h”. I was full speed bar. There was no reason to be scared, I was still higher than the top of Bald Butte. I flew until I was above the road then started maneuvering and landed smoothly on the nice new Landing Zone.

I understand why this spot is called "bald butte". After 3 weeks on bald butte, I realized that there is only one lonely hair on this butte and this hair is me. Come on guys

God bless free flying. Cheers

Neil Clark

Sep 19, 2016, 6:39:32 PM9/19/16
to Cascade Paragliding Club
Hi Sim-sim,
I'd like to fly Bald Butte sometime, but I fly a hang glider and don't have a 4WD vehicle.  Do you think 4WD is necessary to get to launch?  Or, could I get close enough with 2WD and hike the rest of the way, peut-etre?
Cheers,
Neil

rick...@gmail.com

Sep 19, 2016, 6:51:10 PM9/19/16
to neil...@hotmail.com, Cascade Paragliding Club
I have to same questions in mind too. I would like to fly Bald Butte if doable for hang.

rick...@gmail.com

Sep 19, 2016, 6:57:52 PM9/19/16
to neil...@hotmail.com, Cascade Paragliding Club
Also, how's the hike compare to Bingen?

Rick
On Mon, Sep 19, 2016 at 3:39 PM, Neil Clark

Erik Otterholt

Sep 19, 2016, 7:51:09 PM9/19/16
to Cascade Paragliding Club
The word from the Forrest Service manager of roads, is that the road is closed.  Now from what I've been told by a few people is that by rule or by law, the road is not allowed to be closed by the FS.  That said, it's up to you whether you want to take the chance.  If your after hours or weekends, your may get away with it.  I'll be investigating this further.

As for driving to launch, the main road to launch is 4x4 only however, there is a back road with lots of bushes covering the road.  This road goes down and connects with the road to the N launch.  Also, it's tricky to find the way.  I have driven down from the top on this road, but that was probably 2 to 3 years ago.  No idea of the condition it's in now.  On the main launch, you also could drive to the difficult section and hike from there.  You also may be able to launch just above where you can't drive any longer depending on how comfortable you are launching near power lines.  I think in a HG you'd have a much safer go of it then we PG's would.  Then again, if its really working, you could possibly launch at the N launch were you can drive to and fly up to the main launch.  With a little bit of work, I'm sure we could more accurately map out the roads connecting the N launch to the main launch, but again, the FS at this point is not pleased about our driving up.

Erik

rick...@gmail.com

Sep 19, 2016, 8:01:52 PM9/19/16
to neil...@hotmail.com, Cascade Paragliding Club
One of the hang glidet pilot who live in Parkdale (or the near by area)  told me he fly Bald Butte last summer.  His name is Nat and he said we can drive up to launch with 4x4 truck.  I don't think Nat is on the CPC or Ohgalist list and I lost his phone number.  Maybe Neil can get in touch with Nat for more information.
On Mon, Sep 19, 2016 at 3:39 PM, Neil Clark

Rsunsports

Sep 19, 2016, 8:07:54 PM9/19/16
to erik...@mac.com, cp...@googlegroups.com
Do not launch from the power lines. The road was closed with the FS travel management plan, but is not enforced.  The road from the north is also closed for the same reason, but is not enforced.  It is brushy and tight.  The road up has been there for 50+years.  The FS does no have the time and energy to close it.

Steve Forslund

Sep 22, 2016, 2:42:01 PM9/22/16
to neil...@hotmail.com, Cascade Paragliding Club
long hike, the road is closed to vehicles now but I think people are driving up anyway, probably not a good idea during fire season

Sim-sim passenger

Sep 22, 2016, 8:12:55 PM9/22/16
to Cascade Paragliding Club
Hey guys
So, to get up there you take pine mountain Dr straight until the powerline, passed the powerline take the first right and park at the end of gravel road
then it is 10 min step hike to bald butte. Every car can get at this point.
For you Rick if I am there I will happily help you carry your gear to the top.

5 month ago I saw 8 truck park up there they flying remote controlled airplane. It was memorial day They told me that come there every year.
I presume they did not asked if the road was close.

David Le

Sep 22, 2016, 8:17:19 PM9/22/16
to Sim-sim passenger, Cascade Paragliding Club
Thanks for the update Simon. Are we going to let Simon have all the fun? Let's get out there.

What's the forecast for Sat & Sun Simon?

Sim-sim passenger

Sep 22, 2016, 8:43:07 PM9/22/16
to Cascade Paragliding Club, rseu...@gmail.com
http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/forecast/wxtables/index.php?lat=45.53714073677891&lon=-121.53130986444012&clrindex=0&table=custom&duration=3&interval=1

Here is how I find out weather or not going up there.
It is pretty accurate but you have to check it hourly.

rick...@gmail.com

Sep 24, 2016, 1:58:26 AM9/24/16
to rseu...@gmail.com, Cascade Paragliding Club
I'm just seeing this now. Thanks for your offer Simon. For my understanding the road to the trailhead where you start hiking to the launch requires either 4WD or high clearance vehicle, correct? Unfortunately, l only have 2WD vehicle.  I wouldn't mind to do the hike if other hang glider pilots with the right vehicle come along with me. Thanks!

On Thu, Sep 22, 2016 at 5:12 PM, Sim-sim passenger

Eric Miller

Sep 24, 2016, 2:17:47 AM9/24/16
to Rick Lai, rseu...@gmail.com, Cascade Paragliding Club
I think it's a shorter hike than Bingen if I recall.  Haven't hiked it in a few years...

Eric Miller

Sep 24, 2016, 2:20:17 AM9/24/16
to Rick Lai, rseu...@gmail.com, Cascade Paragliding Club
Oh and I presume W is preferred direction?  And what do you like for wind speeds?
(obviously I know what we can fly in, but sometimes the numbers don't represent what you will actually find...)
Thanks for the beta!

Gliderpete

Sep 24, 2016, 10:45:04 AM9/24/16
to ericm...@gmail.com, Rick Lai, rseu...@gmail.com, Cascade Paragliding Club
From the saddle where you park... I would guess a bit more uphill than walking up from where we park on Courtney Road, but maybe same distance as walking from Courtney all the way over to the West Launch.  Pete

Sent from my iPad
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cpcl+uns...@googlegroups.com.

Reed Gleason

Sep 24, 2016, 10:57:25 AM9/24/16
to Cascade Paragliding Club

When we had a work party and cleared Bald Butte North several years ago, we could drive almost to the launch.  Is that road closed now, or have we decided that BBN is too difficult to fly?

Rsunsports

Sep 24, 2016, 11:05:15 AM9/24/16
to ree...@comcast.net, cp...@googlegroups.com
The road is open, but may need to be brushed back. It is 4WD. The FS may say that it is closed with the Travel management Plan.  The road up to BBN is Hood River County land. Above that it is MHNF.

Sep 24, 2016, 12:16:42 PM9/24/16
to Cascade Paragliding Club
There's 2 steep sections but the rest isn't bad at all, and it's all fairly straight, no sharp switchbacks. For the 1st steep section I'd recommend not just 4wd but traction control as well if one was going to drive up it. I could assist getting hangs up there with my Land Rover.

rick...@gmail.com

Sep 24, 2016, 1:34:15 PM9/24/16
to klowe.s...@gmail.com, Cascade Paragliding Club
I' ll be at Rampart or Tiger Mtn this weekend. I was thinking about come up to Bald Butte to check out the site if any paraglider friends going to do it next week or maybe end of the week. I won't bring my hang glider so I can drive your car down.

Rick