Pine Mountain Fly In Flight Report.

David Le

Sep 16, 2014, 3:34:27 PM9/16/14
to cp...@googlegroups.com

I had 4 nice flights at Pine. Thanks to the crew at DAR for putting on a great event. I’m hooked for life.

Arrived Friday morning and hitched a ride up with Dan Wells. Jim Baldo and his wife Gale were already there with 3 other pilots. Winds were consistent at 5 mph out of the NW and launched to clear skies!  Scratched the ridge to the right trying to stay up and hopefully find a thermal or two – I don’t have a vario yet so tried to make the best of it with feel.  I found ridge lift and worked it for a few passes but slowly sank out. I need to work on my speed to fly skills! I then headed out toward the LZ and remembered Dan saying there could be a house thermal at the end of the ridge near a butte but couldn’t find it. Had a nice glide to Frankie Flying Farm and missed the grassy LZ by 30 ft.

Friday evening glass off was great. Launched at the training hill at 5:30 and flew with  30 pilots to start and then more kept coming. The skies were filled by the end of the evening.  Launch was perfect and I scratched the hill for an hour half. My main focus was ridge rules and not to hit anything. J. Thank you to all pilots for your understanding.  I had no problem staying up and after feeling comfortable with ridge rules, I worked on speed to fly skills and being smooth. I made 2 beginner mistakes this evening…wear warm clothes and go to the bathroom before my flight. After an hour half of pure enjoyment, headed for the parking lot LZ. For me, the glass off lift was so strong I had to do at least a dozen S turns just to get close to the ground! I landed safely with a huge smile.

The skies were filled with pilots Saturday!  I arrived at W launch at 11 with winds coming from the S. Winds shifted to the NW a few hours later but I decided to wait a little longer for more thermic lift.  I noticed a few pilots sinking out so more waiting.  After seeing Meredith, a comp pilot, launch then working the thermals, I had to go! Thanks Meredith.  I launched, scratched the ridge to the right, then left, then headed straight toward her. Caught her thermal and headed up. What a ride! I cored the thermal with a few other pilots to many hoots and hollers. Glanced back down to launch and noticed many prepping to launch – mass launch exodus -the skies were filled!  After 30 mins of hanging out with the birds, I glided toward the LZ. During my approach, I hit sink and realized I wouldn’t make it. I still had some elevation and wanted to find some lift but decided since I was close to the ground to not panic and stay on glide. Kept calm, stayed in control, and if I had to hike out I will. I picked a huge field next to Frankie’s farm, focused on my final, landing gear out, nice flair, touchdown, then kited my wing away from bushes and laid my wing on a clearing of sand. Packed up my wing underneath a shady tree and hiked to the farm with my tail between my legs.

Saturday evening glass off didn’t come to fruition. I arrived at the training hill and hiked to mid launch. A few pilots were in the air but could not bench up and some were landing. I thought it was too early to launch and hoped winds would pick up or to hike up to upper launch. I decided to stay put and take the time to learn and observe from the ground.  Glass off never kicked up and noticed many pilots struggling to stay up. Some smarter pilots drove to upper launch where conditions were favorable. I finally launched, scratched the ridge a few passes and accidently flew away from the lift band and glided to the LZ then hiked back up to the same conditions.  Oh well, that’s flying.

Overall, I had a great time meeting new friends and the opportunity to fly this magical site. Thanks to DAR for their hard work!

If you have any suggestions to better my flying I’m open ears. Thanks!