difference in HF energies between cp2k and gamess

pavan kumar behara

Jun 25, 2019, 2:57:35 PM6/25/19
to cp2k
Hello CP2K developers,

I am using CP2K-6.1 and performed HF energy calculations for a Zinc atom and a Zinc cation (Zn+) using GAPW method with an all electron basis. I used RHF for Zinc atom and UHF for the cation. When I use the same basis set and do the same HF calculation with Gamess package (using spherical harmonics), I observed energy differences of the order of 1E-04 in neutral Zinc atom and 1E-02 in the cation with CP2K. Can anyone please explain why I encounter such a huge difference in energies?

Total Energy [a.u.]
   Zinc atom (RHF)    Zinc cation (UHF)
CP2K -1777.4132704603 -1777.1684587898
GAMESS -1777.4131494803 -1777.1301231505
difference       0.0001209800
      0.0383356393

I attached all the inputs and outputs for cp2k as well as gamess for your reference.

Thank you very much for your time, any help is appreciated.

Best regards,
Pavan.
cp2k_zinc_atom.inp
cp2k_zinc_atom.out
cp2k_zinc_cation.inp
cp2k_zinc_cation.out
gamess_zinc_atom.inp
gamess_zinc_atom.out
gamess_zinc_cation.inp
gamess_zinc_cation.out

Matt W

Jun 25, 2019, 3:39:05 PM6/25/19
to cp2k
I'd think you've converged (?) to different electronic states.

pavan kumar behara

Jun 25, 2019, 4:16:07 PM6/25/19
to cp2k
I am sorry, I didn't get you. I'm still puzzled about the convergence to a different value in case of a single atom.

hut...@chem.uzh.ch

Jun 26, 2019, 3:52:37 AM6/26/19
to cp...@googlegroups.com
Hi

you should add
&POISSON
PERIODIC NONE
POISSON_SOLVER WAVELET
&END
to the &DFT section (and move the atom to the center of the box).

Further increase the Atomic grid parameters in the &KIND section, e.g.

LEBEDEV_GRID 500
RADIAL_GRID 2500

with this settings and some tighter convergence I get

Zn Atom -1777.4131495436
Zn cation -1777.1301232672

regards

Juerg Hutter

Juerg Hutter Phone : ++41 44 635 4491
Institut für Chemie C FAX : ++41 44 635 6838
Universität Zürich E-mail: hut...@chem.uzh.ch
Winterthurerstrasse 190
CH-8057 Zürich, Switzerland

Jun 26, 2019, 10:20:18 AM6/26/19
to cp2k
Thank you very much for the clarification Prof. Hutter.