neb : question about the number of scf optimizations for each band step for each replica

afloris

May 17, 2013, 1:22:22 PM5/17/13
to cp...@googlegroups.com
Dear cp2k users,

I am running for the first time some NEB calculations...and I am using cp2k since few days only.

From the output of a particular replica, e.g.  xxx-BAND2.out,
(xxx being the name of the project, 2 is the replica), I see that for each band step, several scf optimizations are performed for each replica.
I have some questions:

1. why  more than one scf optimization is performed? (every optimization being achieved with ~40 scf steps)
2. Are these purely electronic optimizations, or there is a geometrical minimization involved?
(this question is motivated because different forces are found after each scf optimization...although no "new" atomic positions are printed...)

Can someone clarify this to me?

Thank you very much
Kind Regards
Andrea

--
 Dr Andrea Floris
 Research Associate

Teodoro Laino

May 20, 2013, 4:16:51 AM5/20/13
to cp...@googlegroups.com
On May 17, 2013, at 7:22 PM, afloris <an.f...@gmail.com> wrote:

Dear cp2k users,

I am running for the first time some NEB calculations...and I am using cp2k since few days only.

From the output of a particular replica, e.g.  xxx-BAND2.out,
(xxx being the name of the project, 2 is the replica), I see that for each band step, several scf optimizations are performed for each replica.
I have some questions:

1. why  more than one scf optimization is performed? (every optimization being achieved with ~40 scf steps)
it depends on how many processors you are using and how many processors per replica you requested. On the top of that, the number of scf optimisations depends also on the type of optimiser you are using.
Again without an input is almost useless to cover all possible things you may see.

2. Are these purely electronic optimizations, or there is a geometrical minimization involved?
the geometry optimisation steps are not shown in the *BAND* output

Regards

(this question is motivated because different forces are found after each scf optimization...although no "new" atomic positions are printed...)

Can someone clarify this to me?

Thank you very much
Kind Regards
Andrea

--
 Dr Andrea Floris
 Research Associate
 King's College London
 Strand, London WC2R 2LS
 United Kingdom
 Location:  Strand Building, 4th floor, Room 4.02

Teodoro Laino

May 20, 2013, 4:54:22 AM5/20/13
to cp...@googlegroups.com

>> 1. why more than one scf optimization is performed? (every optimization being achieved with ~40 scf steps)
> it depends on how many processors you are using and how many processors per replica you requested. On the top of that, the number of scf optimisations depends also on the type of optimiser you are using.
> Again without an input is almost useless to cover all possible things you may see.
Correction: forget about the parallel setup - you should always have a number of BAND* files equal to the number of frames of your NEB.
So not sure at all what you are seeing… (probably it is only the output of the OUTER_SCF cycle)

In any case, without input..

Andrea Floris

May 20, 2013, 7:14:42 AM5/20/13
to cp...@googlegroups.com
Dear Teo,

I attach the input and output and all relevant files.

My problem is in the BAND* files , whose number is indeed equal to the number of replica (three in my case).
If you in one of these files (prefix is neba) do

grep -i  'Band  Step  Nr.'  neba-BAND1.out

you have as output something like
 ** Band  Step  Nr. :   13                                                    **
 ** Band  Step  Nr. :   13                                                    **
 ** Band  Step  Nr. :   13                                                    **
 ** Band  Step  Nr. :   13                                                    **
 ** Band  Step  Nr. :   13                                                    **
 ** Band  Step  Nr. :   14                                                    **
 ** Band  Step  Nr. :   14                                                    **
 ** Band  Step  Nr. :   14                                                    **

so, e.g. 5 optimizations (but geometrical or purely electronic scf???) in the band  step 13, and 3 in the band step 14...
That's the point I don't understand...

Moreover, I also do not understand why this is done *also* for the end points, when you choose to not optimize
the initial and final replica...For example in my case here replica 1 was fixed.  In fact in the

neba-1.ener

file, the energy of replica 1 is fixed, i.e. it has always the same energy through the band optimization steps. But in the file  neba-BAND1.out many total energies are found...
one for each scf optimization.

Thanks in advance for you answer,

Best
Andrea

neb_test_3replicas.tgz

Teodoro Laino

May 20, 2013, 10:08:02 AM5/20/13
to cp...@googlegroups.com
DIIS performs a LS - what you see is the result of the line search.
Use NO_LS if you don't like that.

Moreover, I have no idea if this is a production run or simply a test, but you want to keep the distance between your replica much smaller than 3.0+ Angstrom.
Hope this helps.
Teo

Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/cp2k?hl=en.

<neb_test_3replicas.tgz>

Andrea Floris

May 20, 2013, 1:52:23 PM5/20/13
to cp...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, May 20, 2013 at 4:08 PM, Teodoro Laino <teodor...@gmail.com> wrote:
DIIS performs a LS - what you see is the result of the line search.
Use NO_LS if you don't like that.

What are the consequences of using NO_LS in a NEB calculation? Using NO_LS would result in a single optimization of the image
(per band step) and  (maybe separate issue) no electronic optimization at all for "fixed" images?

I am just running a test, with 3-5 replica only.  I see quite a strong dependence on the K_SPRING constant if I vary it from 0.05 to 0.02
(the barrier decreases of about 0.05eV and the path is different).
Is is correct to expect a much reduced variation of the barrier with K_SPRING, if the number of
images is increased, e.g. to 10-15? Which distance is typically OK between adiacent images, 0.5 A?
Thank you for your help
Best
Andrea

wolfshow

May 26, 2014, 2:30:41 AM5/26/14
to cp...@googlegroups.com
Dear All,

I am facing with the similar questions.
In my calculations, if I used NO_LS, the results seem more reasonable (the total energy of each image converged). I want to know if there is some disadvantageous consequence of using NO_LS in a NEB calculation

Thank you in advance.

Best Regards,

Fengchao

在 2013年5月21日星期二UTC+8上午1时52分23秒,afloris写道: