Urgent problem with MIMESWEEPER

Filip Francis

Jun 18, 2002, 4:46:07 AM6/18/02
Hi all,

There is a major issue with the following.
Delivering email to a checkpoint FW1-NG FP2 running SMTP secure server and
MIMESWEEPER.
I have several clients of ours who are trying to send email to us and they
are getting the following message.
Network I/O error 10053
I had done some trace routes and saw that they are all using MIMESWEEPER.
So i went to the MIMESWEEPER support site and came across the problem.
Support
Problem deliving email to a Check Point FW-1 NG (FP2) running SMTP Secure
Server
BACKGROUND
A problem has been identified when MAILsweeper for SMTP version 4.x attempts
to deliver mail to a Check Point Firewall 1 NG that has been upgraded to
Feature Pack 2 running the SMTP Security server.

Messages will not be delivered to the firewall and all connectivity between
the MAILsweeper host and the firewall appears normal.

TECHNICAL SYMPTOMS
The following events may be logged in the Application event log when
MAILsweeper for SMTP tries to deliver emails to Internet gateways running
Firewall-1 NG FP2

Network I/O error 10053 (0x0000s745) encountered when awaiting response from
132.179.250.241

MAILsweeper for SMTP logs an SMTP "451 Timeout" in the Operate.log when
establishing ESMTP sessions with companies using Firewall-1 NG FP2:

---- SMTPDS on PZZI32 log entry made at 05/08/2002 19:14:22
Outgoing SMTP call established to 132.179.250.241 at 19:12:52.
>>> 220 220 smtp.spiderman.com ESMTP Server 8.8.8/8.8.8

<<< EHLO mail.mimesweeper.com

>>> 250 Hello mail.spiderman.com, pleased to meet you
250-SIZE
451 Timeout... Closing connection.

In the above example, MAILsweeper for SMTP creates a Spiderman.com subfolder
under Program Files\MAILsweeper for SMTP\Spool\Domains. The directory will
also contain the Domain.Mri file that will indicates that attempts to make
contact have been attempted, and messages to be sent to that email domain.

The MAILsweeper for SMTP sends a TCP ACK to the Firewall, which aborts the
session with the 451 timeout.

RESOLUTION
Clearswift MIMEsweeper Technical Support has opened an incident (CR00060790)
with Check Point. They have acknowledged that installing Feature Pack 2 on
FireWall-1 NG can cause ESMTP sessions to be dropped when using the SMTP
secure server.

Currently, Check Point has a patch available for Solaris FireWall-1 NG.

Customers with this problem on other platforms should contact their normal
Check Point support channel.

There SHOULD BE A FIX FOR SUN SOLARIS BUT on the checkpoint site i can't
find.

Could sombody from checkpoint help me out on this.

This is getting very big here.

Thanks in advance

Filip Francis

System administrator

Simon Badway

Jun 18, 2002, 6:21:44 AM6/18/02
I have exactly same issue with NOKIA platform.
Checkpoint can you identify when patch is available for NOKIA?

regards
Simon