Which hardware to you advise ?

JP Morgan

May 1, 2014, 8:42:07 PM5/1/14
to cozy-...@googlegroups.com
What you are doing is great !!

My question is simple : wich micro server should I buy to install cozy ?

- Raspberry Pi ?
- Cubieboard2 ?
- Cubietruck ?

On this test, the author said that the image proposed for Raspberry is not so "optimized"
http://blog.tfrichet.fr/cozycloud-le-cloud-confortable-a-la-francaise/

Would it be possible that one day, you also propose in the soft cozy a server for movim (a facebook alternative) ?
Is there synergies possible between these 2 (french) projects ?

Good luck.

Juliette Godmiche

Frank Rousseau

May 2, 2014, 8:45:21 AM5/2/14
to cozy-...@googlegroups.com
Le 02/05/2014 02:42, JP Morgan a écrit :
> What you are doing is great !!

Thank you!
> My question is simple : wich micro server should I buy to install cozy ?
>
> - Raspberry Pi ?
> - Cubieboard2 ?
> - Cubietruck ?

Cubietruck.
> On this test, the author said that the image proposed for Raspberry is
> not so "optimized"
> http://blog.tfrichet.fr/cozycloud-le-cloud-confortable-a-la-francaise/

Yes the raspberry pi is nice to try Cozy but it is not very fast. It's
ok to run 2/3 apps but not for a intense usage.
> Would it be possible that one day, you also propose in the soft cozy a
> server for movim (a facebook alternative) ?
We are thinking about allowing any kind of web apps in Cozy via
LXC/Docker containers. But more and more people are asking for running
it on very cheap hardware (raspberrypi, NAS...). So, prior to decide
what we should do, we have some R&D to do first.
But you can still install Movim alongside of Cozy. By configuring
properly your Nginx server you could make them live together easily.
> Is there synergies possible between these 2 (french) projects ?

SInce Movim is a Jabber client, that would be nice to see it in Cozy or
a fork that is able to run on our platform.
> Good luck.
Thank you for you email and have fun with Cozy!

Regards,

Frank

JP Morgan

May 4, 2014, 7:49:09 AM5/4/14
to cozy-...@googlegroups.com
Thank you.

1/

Why don't you buy this nano server yoursellf put the software inside and resell it with margin ? Would it allow you to grow faster ?

NB : You would even create a e-store "Do your cozy online", user put parameters he wants and you will sell him a preconfigured nano server.

2/

When i will create my own e-mail address the name that will be after the letter "@", will be the name of the server that i created ?

Frank Rousseau

May 4, 2014, 10:24:08 AM5/4/14
to cozy-...@googlegroups.com
Le 04/05/2014 13:49, JP Morgan a écrit :
> Thank you.
>
> 1/
>
> Why don't you buy this nano server yoursellf put the software inside
> and resell it with margin ? Would it allow you to grow faster ?
>
> NB : You would even create a e-store "Do your cozy online", user put
> parameters he wants and you will sell him a preconfigured nano server.

It's a good idea! Today we are more focused on improving the platform,
its apps and doing partnerships with big companies to distribute Cozy.
But we are thinking about building boxes. Still, we didn't find the
right way to do it yet (we have a partner interested in it, we hope it
will help us doing it).

About reselling pre-configured Cubietruck, we tried it. We proposed a
Cubietruck with a 1TB hard drive to people that told us they were
interested in a Cozy Box. Unfortunately, they are not ready to pay
almost 200 euros for it (we do almost no margin on it). They didn't
expect that the price would be so expensive and finally then didn't buy it.

Moreover, selling Cozy Box requires an important customer support, that
we are not ready yet to handle.
> 2/
>
> When i will create my own e-mail address the name that will be after
> the letter "@", will be the name of the server that i created ?

Today Cozy doesn't support mail management, the email you put in your
Cozy is used as your login and the address to send information email.

Frank

JP Morgan

May 4, 2014, 12:25:12 PM5/4/14
to cozy-...@googlegroups.com
I hope cozy will soon allow to create it's own e-mail server. Without this functionality, I'm not ready to invest money to get my own cloud.

You said : "Moreover, selling Cozy Box requires an important customer support, that
we are not ready yet to handle."

For sure, free after-sales support would be a nightmare. On the other hand, if someone wants its own cloud, he has also to work a bit for that. More freedom goes with more responsibilities.

Anyway, the targeted users are certainly not all geeks and I fully agree with your answer.

Good luck for the future :)

Terrycloth

May 4, 2014, 4:19:59 PM5/4/14
to cozy-...@googlegroups.com
JP Morgan,

Email is completely separate application. I imagine you're thinking of setting up your private cloud so that it's a full replacement for Google Apps? You can certainly think of Google's various products as a way of understanding the type of solution you're hoping for: Many don't realize that Google's Gmail, Drive, Docs, Plus, Groups, Search, YouTube, and so on -- these are all separate applications, which each have their own dedicated team of developers; these applications also exist at their own (sub)domains, and most likely also even run on separate machines. What links them together is they are all set up to authenticate with your Google account.

Cozy provides the cloud storage, the platform for other web applications, and the centralized interface for accessing the files and applications. Email is a broad enough topic that it deserves its own team of developers, and in fact there are already several teams working on email servers and webmail applications. Horde and RoundCube are great examples, but there are others too. So probably what would be best for you is to install Cozy and the email solution to different subdomains on your web server, so you might have cozy.domain.url and webmail.domain.url (or just mail.domain.url if you plan on using an email client instead). And then if you really want a single-sign-on solution, you could configure everything to accept the same login, perhaps managed through OAuth, OpenID, or Persona. If you want more information there, Wikipedia has an article about central authentication services, and a list of sign-sign-on solutions.

Hope this helps.

JP Morgan

May 10, 2014, 8:28:44 AM5/10/14
to cozy-...@googlegroups.com
You help me because you know more than me :)

Indeed, I'm maybe more looking for a service like roundcube.

Central authentification or not doesn't bother me so much.

I'll check the possibilities concerning synchronization and the complexity of this installation.

Thanks.

JP