App for community interactions

Pranay Gupta

Jul 16, 2016, 9:52:40 AM7/16/16
to Coworking
Hi there, Is anyone using an app for engaging the community? Own / white-labelled / Third-party?
While we have been thinking of it...I am unable to wrap my head around whether it should be more like Linkedin, or Quora, or Nextdoor or something.

Will love to get your thoughts on this one and any experience you have on this already.

Will help us not start from scratch.

Regards,
Pranay

ber...@berniejmitchell.com

Jul 16, 2016, 2:41:35 PM7/16/16
to Coworking
Hi Pranay,

I have been part of places / groups that have used / are using facebook groups, Linkedin, Ning, Slack, WordPress forums, Meetup.com, MailChimp, Loomio and even Trello and Asana
We are just about to kick off with Groupbuzz.io which we have been watch develop.
After trying all the above we have come to the conclusion that everyone uses email and as much as I hate email - I'll say that again - HATE email - as groupbuzz.io is based on email and everyone uses email I am swallowing my pride and I am holding out for good things.

Have a remarkable day

Bernie J Mitchell
0777 204 2012

www.berniejmitchell.com

Sent from my mobile device

*Unless we agree otherwise, this email conversation is confidential.

Download Email

---

Ramon Suarez

Jul 18, 2016, 1:56:45 AM7/18/16
to Coworking
We use a mix at Betacowork.com : Google groups for exchanges between many in the community and a custom contact form for each member so that other members can contact them directly. Social profiles are also displayed.

It is not only a question of tools. Making any of your choices work will take months and part of your community will never use it.

The advantage of email based systems is that there's nothing to configure on the side of the participants, no new log-in, and no learning of a new interface. Plus, they are easy to filter.

Ramon Suarez
coworkinghandbook.com

Jeannine van der Linden

Jul 18, 2016, 4:28:31 AM7/18/16
to Coworking
We have just launched mrWatson on a three month pilot.  We are now in month 2.  I like it very well so far, the coworkers seem to like it as well.  It does require making a profile, and I find that new coworkers make one right away as it is part of their welcome packet; existing coworkers tend to make a profile at the moment that there is something in it for them.  :-)

So far therefore I think the key is to make sure there is something in it for them, other than a shiny new tool.  Since we all have logins enough in this world.

The good news is that to date none of the notifications from mrWatson seem to be landing in the spambox, which has been a real and present problem for email based systems.

So, early days yet.  But it is looking good.

Pranay Gupta

Jul 19, 2016, 9:09:04 AM7/19/16
to Coworking
Thanks Bernie, Ramon and Jeannine,
This is useful. Look forward to learning more in case you come across something. Will also let you know if we figure out something.

Rgds

Alex Hillman

Jul 19, 2016, 9:46:38 AM7/19/16
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the shout out about GroupBuzz, Bernie :) if anyone else has questions about the platform, I'm happy to answer them here or off-list.

I've written a little bit about how we built the tool specifically for building tighter-knit communities here on the list, but one of the BEST posts isn't mine...it's from Jon Markwell of the Skiff. They've been a GroupBuzz customer for a long time, and in this post Jon outlined of how they approached building momentum for usage early on. We've built guidance for this kind of onboarding directly into the product itself, since it's a little bit counterintuitive to how most people naturally try to roll these kinds of tools out.

To the point others have made, no matter what tool you use (and every one has pros and cons) that onboarding process can make all the difference LONG after getting things first set up!

-Alex

The #1 mistake in community building is doing it by yourself.
Weekly Coworking Tips: http://coworkingweekly.com