Events that work well for us.

Skip to the first unread message

Craig Baute - Creative Density Coworking

8 Dec 2011, 14:05:0008/12/2011
to Coworking
I made it a priority in the last two months to focus on internal
events for the members during the day. We have been hosting several
Meetups in the evening that brought a lot of ideas and discussion into
the space. They are also great promotional tools.

Here are some events that the members are really liking and attending.
They are held during our normal coworking hours.

WordPress Happiness Hour
We have a local guy and member that works for Automattic, the creators
of WordPress, that generous gives an hour or more of his time every
other week. Members bring in their work and questions and we divide
into teams to answer each other questions while Kevin answers anything
we can't solve ourselves.

Business Book Club
Once a month we pick a business book, last month was FREE by Chris
Anderson, and we discuss it. The format is simply Summarize, debate,
and relate. So we do an overview of the book and than debate its merit
and figure out how it can be related to our own businesses. This one
started off slow but is building up and provides a good backdrop for
discussion later on.

Lunch with the Law/Lunch with Numbers
We have a lawyer and accountant come in once a month during the lunch
hour to offer a free QandA for members. These have been well attended
from the very start and provide a lot of useful information for the
members. Plus, the accountant and lawyer for some new business out of
it.

Freelancer Brunch
On Monday we get together, I provide snacks, and we state our goals
for the week. This is a good chance for freelancers that usually don't
have much regular accountability verbally share what they want to
accomplish and what they successfully did the previous week. Plus, its
a good way for members to learn about each other. We have few members
that do this, less than 5, but they love it.

Help a Coworker
We are starting this soon. It will be a show and tell series where the
presenting member buys everyone lunch and they get 45 minutes to an
hour or everyone's time. They might want feedback on a design, a
strategy for their blog, or just try to get over something that they
are generally stuck with.

I hope this is helpful to some coworking managers out there. We are
still accepting new Meetups for the evening period but I'm exciting
now to have a strong and growing community during our coworking hours
to have events with.

Craig Baute
@CreativeDensity
densitycoworking.com

Andy Stratton

8 Dec 2011, 14:09:4508/12/2011
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Cool ideas, thanks for sharing!

--
Andy Stratton
Web / Developer / Designer

Alex Hillman

8 Dec 2011, 14:17:2908/12/2011
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
This is an AWESOME list, Craig. Thank you!

/ah
indyhall.org
coworking in philadelphia

Dirk Onderdonck

8 Dec 2011, 15:06:0308/12/2011
to Coworking
Very interesting thanks

Dirk

Bar d'Office Deinze (Belgium)

8 Dec 2011, 15:55:1608/12/2011
to Coworking
I forgot to add our Member Minute video series. We have a member that
is a videographer and he records me interviewing a different member
every other week. The format is very simple and I ask them what they
do, follow up with a question that dives deeper into one of their
areas, and ask them to provide insight into the future of their
industry. The members love this because it a quality video for them to
put on their site and gives me something to put on the site to help
future coworkers understand who coworks here. You can find the three
that we have already published at www.densitycoworking.com/blog/

If you want to do one of these for your community I worked with the
videographer to make it as simple for him as possible (he is doing it
for free). We made an intro and outro and then do two or three takes
of the interview. The interviews are not edited, which makes it easy
for the videographer, and he can now edit them and get them ready to
be published in half an hour. We can do the set up, take down, and two
or three interviews within 75 minutes.

Side note: Since the interviews have been published the Denver Chamber
of Commerce has contacted the videographer and he will likely be doing
a similar series for greater Denver.

Cadu de Castro Alves

8 Dec 2011, 17:34:3108/12/2011
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Very nice, Craig!

This week, we started two events here, which will happen once a week.

Startup Dojo
Entrepreneurs and small business getting together to learn and practice methodologies like Lean Startup, Business Model Canvas and Customer Development. We will make small teams with 3-4 members that will start a new project (or startup) and everyone will share its learning and development process every week.

Mobile Dojo
It's a group studying class where people will learn how to develop mobile applications. We started using Titanium Appcelerator platform, that is a tool to develop mobile apps writing codes in JavaScript. It supports both Android and iOS application using the same code. Yesterday we had our first class and we started developing a mobile app called BeesTracker to track members hours usage here at BeesOffice and to generate reports on this usage.

Abs,

Cadu de Castro Alves
cadu@beesoffice.com
Mobile: +55 21 9574-0115
SkypeID: cadudecastroalves

BeesOffice - Espaço de Coworking RJ - Unidade: Centro
Rua Miguel Couto, 35, Grupo 603/607, Centro - Rio de Janeiro - RJ - CEP: 20070-030 - Brasil

*Antes de imprimir pense em seu compromisso com o Meio Ambiente
*Before printing think about your commitment with the Environment.

Anca Mosoiu

8 Dec 2011, 14:19:1008/12/2011
to Coworking
These are fabulous ideas. I've been doing weekly WordPress Support
groups
at my space and that's a big hit.

People have been asking me for something useful for freelancers, like
legal, accounting, and business strategy meetups, so I'm glad to see
that
yours are ongoing.

Because we are largely programmers at Tech Liminal, we also have hack
nights where people can come and work on projects.

Thanks again for the tips!

Anca.

-=-=-=-
Anca Mosoiu
Owner | Tech Liminal
an...@techliminal.com

On Dec 8, 11:05 am, Craig Baute - Creative Density Coworking

Niki

13 Dec 2011, 16:03:3413/12/2011
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
We've been doing some of these same things for quite a while. They worked well in the BIGGER city where we were. Hoping they are going to work well in small town MI soon.  Good luck and keep us posted.

Niki
Business Success Unlimited
@Smallbizjunkie
http://www.success4biz.biz

Gretchen Baisa

16 Dec 2011, 09:54:3116/12/2011
to Coworking
I've been meaning to pop in and thank you for these great ideas. I
mostly focus on internal events - but much more mundane than yours!
great lineup!! - and there's been wonderful karmic payback in the form
of really happy members in our space.

Not to be captain obvious, here, but just having my members eat lunch
together once a week with a member as speaker, giving an informational
presentation has been really, really easy + wonderful. ( Topics range
from here's how to...write content for your site, maximize PPC, make
pate chaud, manage stress).

It's great to give members the opportunity to reinforce themselves as
an expert in their field, we all learn something, and it's turned into
a bit of a spontaneous potluck. which just reinforces the fun aspect.
Looking forward to trying out a version of 'freelancer brunch' and
'help a coworker' in our space.

Thanks again. Happy holidays all!