West Coast Coworking Passport

Julie

Aug 22, 2008, 3:06:57 PM8/22/08
to Coworking
Space Owners,

Susan of Office Nomads in Seattle and I (in Portland) have been toying
with the idea of letting our members work in the other's space if/when
they travel between Portland & Seattle (spurred by a few member
requests + some frequent traffic between our two PNW cities).

I know I've gotten many member requests about where to work when I'm
in in fill-in-the-blank city. Example: Just last week, one of souk's
repeat meeting room users was looking for a meeting room in San
Francisco and called me saying, "I need a souk in SF!". I hit the
wiki list and checked for spaces with meeting rooms and referred her
to a couple.

If you are experiencing this and want to expand upon it, Office Nomads
and I have come up with some simple terms to start communicating to
our members that while we're not 24 hour fitness all-club, our mobile
workers have options.

SIMPLE. Repeat, SIMPLE. For simplicity's sake, and lack of real
data, and taking into account how each space varies from drop-in and
meeting room availability (O.N. and souk offer both) and tracking
systems, we've decided to allow members of our spaces to do up to 3
daily drop-ins to each other's space. Again, to keep it simple, we'll
leave it up to the space what they offer after 3 daily drop-ins, as
well as leave it up to the space whether that drop-in may include
meeting room usage and/or discounts on meetings - and certainly caveat
to our respective members that spaces vary in terms of offerings (not
cookie cutter). Can we agree though, that those first 3 drop-ins are
free? At least Susan and I have ;)

Side note: If there are any questions as to whether that person is
actually a member of the space they claim, we believe we should all
feel free to email each other to verify. Though, it's difficult to
imagine this would be abused.

Of course, we're certainly not looking to make this exclusive to the
west coast by any means. At the same time, we recognize that Seattle
and Portland are not a hotbed of cross-country and international city
hoppers. Non-west coasters & USA space owners though, please chime
in. Please!

At the very least we see this move and "offer" to our existing and
future members as a message for how coworking spaces are connected,
and that mobile workers (mavericks) can have "home bases" when they
travel, not to mention a move to formalize some great cross marketing.

If you want to be included, just holler here. If you're in, Susan and
I will communicate that out to our members. We recognize that there
may be many t's to cross and i's to dots here, but aim to get this
simple move underway asap between the two of us. You too?

Cheers,

Julie Duryea

Julie Duryea
owner, souk
322 nw 6th avenue, suite 200
portland, oregon 97209
p | 503.517.6900
f | 503.517.6901
skype julieduryea
http://www.soukllc.com
tweet julsd

felicity at cubes

Aug 23, 2008, 12:48:36 PM8/23/08
to Coworking
Great idea! We would love to be included for people working
down in the Silicon Valley area.

Cubes&Crayons is in Menlo Park near Stanford University. It's
a great stop for people not going to SF but coming to the Bay
Area to work possibly with the tech companies here.

-Felicity

SPACE: www.cubesandcrayons.com
BLOG: cubes.typepad.com/blog
PERSONAL BLOG: cake.typepad.com/blog

Daniel E. Shipton

Aug 22, 2008, 3:19:50 PM8/22/08
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Julie,
I think that is a great idea and Impromptu Studio would be more than
happy to help out and participate. Our first advisory board meeting
is next week and I will see if they have any other permutations that
should be considered.

-Dan

--
Daniel Shipton
Founder, Impromptu Studio

Anthony

Aug 23, 2008, 10:13:49 AM8/23/08
to Coworking
Someone (Noel?Tony?) told me that the La Cantine group in Paris has
spec'd a system for managing this, but has not built it yet. It seems
that in addition to accommodating traveling co-workers, such a system
would be a great marketplace for co-workers to sell/barter services
and goods with each other between cities.

ruyoung

Aug 23, 2008, 5:59:00 PM8/23/08
to Coworking

julie,

i *love* this idea if it becomes a north american or global scale. and
if so, when camaraderie is up and running in toronto, count us in!
r.

Tara Hunt

Aug 23, 2008, 6:50:18 PM8/23/08
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Citizen Space is always free for drop-ins, but our issue is that the door is locked if the keyholders aren't in. The only thing that would solve it is a ZipCar like card key system. :(

tara 'missrogue' hunt
coFounder
Citizen Agency (www.citizenagency.com)
blog: www.horsepigcow.com
phone: 415-694-1951
fax: 415-727-5335

axon

Aug 23, 2008, 11:39:00 PM8/23/08
to Coworking
Uptime certainly is in. An affiliate network is an important added
value, not because members necessarily have need of it, but because of
the inferred trustworthiness of the studio. Country clubs and
limousine services have long understood the credibility value of guest
privileges. The privilege of guest accommodation is valuable in
itself, but the implication of an extended professional ambit is the
cheese.

Any friend of coworking is a friend of Uptime.

--Ax

Tijs Teulings

Aug 24, 2008, 5:10:33 AM8/24/08
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Is this something you would want to expand to a worldwide scale? We
would love to be in as well, Nomadz is located in The Hague, The
Netherlands. An area with a lot of expats, so US workers looking for
temp space do probably come by here now and then. Like Citizenspace we
already offer free drop-ins so we would not have to change any rules
on our side.

Tijs
nomadz.nl

--
Tijs Teulings
tel: +31645004824

Karen Origlio

Aug 24, 2008, 10:30:26 PM8/24/08
to Coworking
Hi everyone,

I introduced myself in another thread and proposed an idea about a non-
profit organization dedicated to providing services to coworking
spaces, owners and members.

Connecting various spaces like a club membership would be an ideal
first project - and one which I think would grow the concept of
coworking globally - as well as establish credibility.

Some ideas for this organization are here: http://www.coworknetwork.org

I would love to hear ideas and comments, pro or con. At this stage I'm
just gathering info - no firm plans for funding, or any details worked
out. Just trying to measure interest and need.

Space owners/members - what do you think? Are there people who would
like to collaborate on this project?

Karen

P.S. I'm currently a project manager with a work at home gig; too much
solo time has shown me the value of coworking. I'm in Monmouth County
NJ now, but live in Florida. Need to be free and move around.

ideabrian

Aug 25, 2008, 8:20:02 AM8/25/08
to Coworking
How about an international coworker registry?

Each member can upload their profile to a site and when checking in at
other sites, they could just say, I'm from xyz coworking site and
could be verified easily (but like somebody mentioned, verification is
more just for introduction purposes than trust.)

Sounds obvious after a few nods.

Brian Ball
BizDevHouse Oakland

Julie

Aug 25, 2008, 12:30:20 PM8/25/08
to Coworking
Axon,

Awesome! Make sure we have the name of the cowork space and location
too. Thanks!

Julie Duryea
http://www.soukllc.com

Julie

Aug 25, 2008, 12:31:35 PM8/25/08
to Coworking
In my opinion, the more global, the better!

Julie Duryea
http://www.soukllc.com

Susan Evans

Aug 25, 2008, 2:52:33 PM8/25/08
to Coworking
Mine as well! Thanks all for your responses so far - this is great!

On Aug 25, 9:31 am, Julie <soukju...@gmail.com> wrote:
> In my opinion, the more global, the better!
>
> Julie Duryeahttp://www.soukllc.com

Tara Hunt

Aug 25, 2008, 7:16:52 PM8/25/08
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
FYI...this is part of what coworkination.com was going to solve. Sigh.

Oh...and on that note, guess what is available open source? ;)

And here are some notes and screenshots:

Gregory Heller

Aug 25, 2008, 7:47:29 PM8/25/08
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
I've got to imagine that Girafflabs (in seattle) would be keen to
participate.

Reading the original email and the rest of this thread, it is almost
more like a "visa" system than simply a passport. With each coworking
space offering different "visas" which allow for dfferent types of usage
or terms of use

--
----
Gregory Heller

Kelli Franklin

Aug 25, 2008, 9:53:34 PM8/25/08
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
how would u control the "visa" within the space? Would it be a login
feature?

Kelli Franklin
Architectural Design

On Aug 25, 2008, at 7:47 PM, Gregory Heller <m...@gregoryheller.com>

Julie

Aug 26, 2008, 1:05:58 PM8/26/08
to Coworking
Not sure I entirely understand the links, Tara. I'm very web 1.5, and
flat out not techie ;) Hopefully, "3-free" doesn't step all over, or
repeat what Tara's got underway. Having said that, I'm guessing Tara'
project makes cross-coworking more robust than what Susan and I
discussed. We'll likely still get underway with our 3-free
though.....Susan? It's just easy and implementable today.

Julie Duryea

owner, souk
322 nw 6th avenue, suite 200
portland, oregon 97209
p | 503.517.6900
f | 503.517.6901
skype julieduryea
http://www.soukllc.com
tweet julsd

Gregory Heller

Aug 26, 2008, 2:31:20 PM8/26/08
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
I was just figuring that the "visa" would be what a particular coworking
space offers members of another space. each space could bascially
figure out how they wanted to keep track of usage.

But, for example, a Girafflabs visa might look like: Free daytime usage
of the space with another glabs member present, up two 3 days in a week,
no more than 6 in a month. (THIS IS ONLY AN EXAMPLE). At glabs we would
be responsible for 1) verifying that someone "applying for a visa" is
indeed a member of the space they say they are (if we really care) and
b) keeping track of their usage.

Some spaces might develop "bi-lateral" agreements that are very
accommodating based on reciprocation. For example two spaces in 2
different cities may say that each spaces members are entitled to full
day time access when in the other city.

The "visa terms" might be maintained on a particular space's website, or
in a central location, like the coworking wiki.

ATusler

Aug 26, 2008, 6:39:07 PM8/26/08
to Coworking
I love the idea of reciprocation. Although I've never been a member of
a yacht club or country club I know that they do have reciprocity of
some sort with other clubs. I think it's perfect for us in the
coworking world.

Interestingly, our doppelgänger, Regus Group, is just promoting
something similar at http://regus.chtah.com/a/hBItFxDB3XauzB7Smby$RgC0JoD/cardse2

Anthony

Steven Heath

Aug 26, 2008, 7:55:26 PM8/26/08
to cowo...@googlegroups.com

2008/8/26 Tara Hunt <horse...@gmail.com>

FYI...this is part of what coworkination.com was going to solve. Sigh.

<deleted>

The world is full of good intentions. Having looked at this it seems that it a moribund idea after some chalk and talk and little if anything can be used by anyone that was not in the chalk and talk session. Esp as coworkination.com produces a 503 error.

I emailed Julie direct with our interest in joining the 'Passport Movement'. This is not something that I think needs an app written in
Ruby but a concept that those SpaceOwners that agree buy in.

I tend to think that usage of the 'Passport' will be limited but that is not the point of the idea in my opinion. It is all about fostering community and sharing.

--
Steven Heath
Director

Interested in Coworking in Wellington? Check out www.altspace.co.nz

Susan Evans

Aug 26, 2008, 8:56:12 PM8/26/08
to Coworking
I'm thinking more along the lines of what Gregory is suggesting -
keeping things very simple and mostly up to the owners of each space.
Perhaps we can start out with a very simple solution - each coworking
space making it clear what they offer in terms of a "coworking visa"
for members of other coworking spaces. Then if there seems to be high
demand, a tech solution could step in and help to smooth out the
process? I want this idea to thrive but not as a burden to any one
person to create a solution for everyone's needs. Well, at least not
yet. :)

Office Nomads will likely just put something up on our website (we are
in the midst of some other changes/developments for our web copy right
now) and likely blog about what we're able to offer other coworking
space members. I just like the idea of saying "you're a member there,
you're welcome here!" to those who are interested. Keeping it simple,
as Julie emphasized in her initial e-mail, is key.

On Aug 26, 4:55 pm, "Steven Heath" <she...@gmail.com> wrote:

axon

Aug 26, 2008, 10:00:43 PM8/26/08
to Coworking
I'm thinking about a "day pass" model. It seems as though all the
coworking scenes have some sort of "day pass" policy. For some, it's
drop-ins are free. For others, there's a value assessed on the
privilege. We plan on pricing day passes at $9.95, but we'll no doubt
give more of them away than we sell to acquaint people with the
concept and value proposition. Doubtless other spaces faithfully
collect their day pass fee, as well.

How about a protocol, an alliance, say, to comp a day pass to members
of the alliance when they visit? It could require certain courtesies
to be honored; advance notice, for example. An email to the host
operator, copied to another trusted operator (to verify membership),
establishes the trust. This approach would give operators the
greatest flexibility, while offering members a useful reciprocity with
other spaces.

A widget to associate member operators with the alliance would
probably be the only applicationware needed.

--Ax

Julie

Aug 27, 2008, 11:30:45 AM8/27/08
to Coworking
Yes, simple is key. The least burdensome is to say you have up to 3
free work days at the following places should you be traveling there.
Here's who would like to be mentioned as offering that because they
responded to this initial thread:
Office Nomads
Nomadz
Impromptu Studio
Cubes & Crayons
Altspace
Citizen Space
Uptime once it's up

We'll let our members know that as souk members, they are welcome up
to 3 free times in the above listed places. We'd love to list more
too! Good stuff.

Julie

Alex Hillman

Aug 27, 2008, 1:41:11 PM8/27/08
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Julie (et all),
Geoff and I would love to lead the way and break this "west coast" passport into a bi-coastal passport, and get IndyHall in on the action!

I don't see any reason why we wouldn't want to get involved, and we strongly believe that there's lots of good that can be done by our movement leading by example bridging the coasts.

Our only thought would be (and I don't know what the needs of other spaces are) to add a loose "policy" that says that there needs to be some lead time and/or reservation made, and that a space's local members take priority. Each space has different reservation policies, of course, so it's up to the traveler to investigate that. We could also have a page on the wiki that lists participating spaces and the procedure for contacting them to get a desk.

-Alex, IndyHall, Philadelphia

--
-----

Jerome Chang

Aug 27, 2008, 6:26:07 PM8/27/08
to cowo...@googlegroups.com, Kim Koury, Robert Richman, Michael Liskin
Hi all.

BLANKSPACES in Los Angeles is definitely listening on this thread and would like to participate.  Our rates and policies are quite a bit different from most coworking spaces, but I'm sure we'll be able to accommodate somehow.

Jerome
______________
BLANKSPACES
"work wide open"

www.blankspaces.com
5405 Wilshire Blvd (2 blocks west of La Brea)
Los Angeles, CA 90036
323.330.9505 (office)

patrick...@gmail.com

Aug 28, 2008, 10:22:03 AM8/28/08
to Coworking
Hi,

I was hoping to write a new thread about our most recent pricing
changes which could interest some and, by luck, makes us easily
compatible with this passport but I haven't had the time yet. Anyway,
that's the reason I didn't pipe up earlier but yes, count Station C
(Montréal) in, we've been dreaming about this since before we even
opened and were happy to see at SXSW that many spaces were also
looking for such an association. Thanks Julie and Susan for getting
the ball rolling on this.

Patrick

Station C

Espace de coworking à Montréal dans le coeur du Milend
Coworking space in Montréal in the heart of the Milend

http://station-c.com

Tony Bacigalupo

Aug 28, 2008, 10:25:09 AM8/28/08
to cowo...@googlegroups.com, Kim Koury, Robert Richman, Michael Liskin
I think it'd make sense to set it up such that each space could offer their own deal, so every space can feel comfortable with what they're offering.

A wiki page sounds good... each space can detail its offering.

We'd have to figure out a decent system for proving membership in a space, but I think we're on the right track!

Anders Conbere

Aug 28, 2008, 10:54:46 AM8/28/08
to Coworking

On Aug 26, 11:31 am, Gregory Heller <m...@gregoryheller.com> wrote:
> I was just figuring that the "visa" would be what a particular coworking
> space offers members of another space.  each space could bascially
> figure out how they wanted to keep track of usage.
>
> But, for example, a Girafflabs visa might look like: Free daytime usage
> of the space with another glabs member present, up two 3 days in a week,
> no more than 6 in a month. (THIS IS ONLY AN EXAMPLE).  At glabs we would
> be responsible for 1) verifying that someone "applying for a visa" is
> indeed a member of the space they say they are (if we really care) and
> b) keeping track of their usage.
>
> Some spaces might develop "bi-lateral" agreements that are very
> accommodating based on reciprocation.  For example two spaces in 2
> different cities may say that each spaces members are entitled to full
> day time access when in the other city.
>
> The "visa terms" might be maintained on a particular space's website, or
> in a central location, like the coworking wiki.

At the point where we have reciprocity agreements isn't this sort of
talking about a cooperative? It seems to me that this could be as easy
as making a list of co-working spaces that pledge to work together,
and then a link to a "members" page for that space. I know in my case
it matters less since we're free for drop-ins. But if we want to talk
about simplifying things why not push as much of the complexity onto
the end of the providers as possible.

~ Anders

Gregory Heller

Aug 28, 2008, 11:03:34 AM8/28/08

Tony Bacigalupo wrote:
> I think it'd make sense to set it up such that each space could offer
> their own deal, so every space can feel comfortable with what they're
> offering.

that's exactly the idea of a visa. some countries let you stay 3
months, other's 6, others much shorter.

> A wiki page sounds good... each space can detail its offering.
>
> We'd have to figure out a decent system for proving membership in a
> space, but I think we're on the right track!
>

> On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 6:26 PM, Jerome Chang <jer...@blankspaces.com
> <mailto:jer...@blankspaces.com>> wrote:
>
> Hi all.
>
> BLANKSPACES in Los Angeles is definitely listening on this thread
> and would like to participate. Our rates and policies are quite a
> bit different from most coworking spaces, but I'm sure we'll be
> able to accommodate somehow.
>

> Jerome
> ______________
> BLANKSPACES
> "work wide open"
>

> www.blankspaces.com <http://www.blankspaces.com/>

>> digital: al...@weknowhtml.com <mailto:al...@weknowhtml.com>
>> visual: www.dangerouslyawesome.com
>> <http://www.dangerouslyawesome.com>

>> On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 11:30 AM, Julie <souk...@gmail.com
>> <mailto:souk...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>

>> Yes, simple is key. The least burdensome is to say you have
>> up to 3
>> free work days at the following places should you be
>> traveling there.
>> Here's who would like to be mentioned as offering that
>> because they
>> responded to this initial thread:
>> Office Nomads
>> Nomadz
>> Impromptu Studio
>> Cubes & Crayons
>> Altspace
>> Citizen Space
>> Uptime once it's up
>>
>> We'll let our members know that as souk members, they are
>> welcome up
>> to 3 free times in the above listed places. We'd love to
>> list more
>> too! Good stuff.
>>
>> Julie

>> <mailto:horsepig...@gmail.com>>

>> <http://coworkination.com> was going to solve. Sigh.

>> this it seems that it
>> anything can be used

>> 503 error.

>> 'Passport Movement'.

>> limited but that is not
>> fostering community and

>> outwww.altspace.co.nz <http://outwww.altspace.co.nz>

Tijs Teulings

Aug 28, 2008, 11:11:29 AM8/28/08
to cowo...@googlegroups.com

On 28 aug 2008, at 16:54, Anders Conbere wrote:
> On Aug 26, 11:31 am, Gregory Heller <m...@gregoryheller.com> wrote:

<snip>

>> The "visa terms" might be maintained on a particular space's
>> website, or
>> in a central location, like the coworking wiki.
>
> At the point where we have reciprocity agreements isn't this sort of
> talking about a cooperative? It seems to me that this could be as easy
> as making a list of co-working spaces that pledge to work together,
> and then a link to a "members" page for that space. I know in my case
> it matters less since we're free for drop-ins. But if we want to talk
> about simplifying things why not push as much of the complexity onto
> the end of the providers as possible.
>
> ~ Anders

I think that would make an excellent starting point. I guess a page on
the coworking wiki would be perfect for this. I need to put some more
work into the web presence for our space (i.e. add a members page) but
i was meaning to do that anyway...

Susan Evans

Aug 28, 2008, 11:59:27 AM8/28/08
to Coworking
Nice!

Alex that's a great point about calling ahead - I think adding in a
little bit of lingo about calling ahead to make sure there's room is a
groovy idea. And great call about adding a page to the wiki - that
way anyone who wants to join in can add themselves and any particular
notes about reservations and what is available...

> > digital: a...@weknowhtml.com
> > visual:www.dangerouslyawesome.com
> > local:www.indyhall.org

Julie

Aug 28, 2008, 2:08:12 PM8/28/08
to Coworking
Welcome east side-ahz! Yes, let's all make sure to caveat that 3 day
thing AND encourage folks to see a wiki page for certain
stipulations. Alex, do you want to take the lead on that wiki page?

Julie Duryea

Julie Duryea
owner, souk
322 nw 6th avenue, suite 200
portland, oregon 97209
p | 503.517.6900
f | 503.517.6901
skype julieduryea
http://www.soukllc.com
tweet julsd

On Aug 27, 10:41 am, "Alex Hillman" <dangerouslyawes...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Julie (et all),
> Geoff and I would love to lead the way and break this "west coast" passport
> into a bi-coastal passport, and get IndyHall in on the action!
>
> I don't see any reason why we wouldn't want to get involved, and we strongly
> believe that there's lots of good that can be done by our movement leading
> by example bridging the coasts.
>
> Our only thought would be (and I don't know what the needs of other spaces
> are) to add a loose "policy" that says that there needs to be some lead time
> and/or reservation made, and that a space's local members take priority.
> Each space has different reservation policies, of course, so it's up to the
> traveler to investigate that. We could also have a page on the wiki that
> lists participating spaces and the procedure for contacting them to get a
> desk.
>
> -Alex, IndyHall, Philadelphia
>
> --
> -----
> --
> -----
> Alex Hillman
> im always developing something
> digital: a...@weknowhtml.com
> visual:www.dangerouslyawesome.com
> local:www.indyhall.org

Derek Young

Suzi Edwards

Aug 28, 2008, 10:29:25 PM8/28/08
to Coworking
Per Axon, we give out free day passes as promos that say
"Complimentary Day Pass" and lists our hours and asks folks to call
ahead.

I wouldn't mind mailing a bunch to coworking spaces that could foresee
members coming this way (I realize that'll be few and far between
since we're in the CT valley woods!).

For a more organized approach, a general membership card would be
tough since we all have different policies. But, maybe we could just
turn (per someone's suggestion) the Comp Day Pass concept into a
membership card that lists the URL where a member could check out all
the participating spaces with what they offer visiting coworkers.
> > digital: a...@weknowhtml.com
> > visual:www.dangerouslyawesome.com
> > local:www.indyhall.org
Message has been deleted

Jacob Sayles

Sep 3, 2008, 6:45:30 PM9/3/08
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
I'm glad to see this got all sorts of attention while I was gone.  We just posted a bit about this on our blog so it's official.  To go with the visa/passport analogy we are simply opening our borders.  Remember how easy it used to be to go to Canada?

Jacob

--
Office Nomads - Individuality without Isolation
http://www.officenomads.com - (206) 323-6500

Derek Young

Sep 3, 2008, 7:00:14 PM9/3/08
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Jacob,

Thanks for the shout out on the blog. Although ..

“we’re getting geared up to hose a big team of coworkers from Suite133”

We’re not sure what y’all have in mind.

See you Friday,

Derek Young
Suite133

Alex Hillman

Sep 3, 2008, 7:04:12 PM9/3/08
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Pics or it didn't happen :)

-Alex

--
-----
--
Alex Hillman
im always developing something

Jacob Sayles

Sep 3, 2008, 7:21:52 PM9/3/08
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
It's Fire Hose Fridays!

Susan Evans

Sep 3, 2008, 7:49:44 PM9/3/08
to Coworking
Oh my dear lord, that is hilarious. Typo perfection. :)

Julie

Sep 4, 2008, 11:41:24 AM9/4/08
to Coworking
souk mentioned and linked all the spaces that replied to this initial
thread as offering "courtesy days" with caveats about hours of op and
availability. Those were (and it's current):
Office Nomads
Suite 133
Giraffe Labs
Nomadz
Blankspaces
Cubes & Crayons
Uptime
Citizen Space
Impromptu Studio
Indy Hall
Station C
Altspace

I would have liked to agree that we all offer 3 free, primarily for
ease of the user's sake, but a wiki page link would be second best -
and of course getting this underway is most important. As long as
from a user standpoint it's easy to find out a certain space's terms,
that will be key.

Is anyone game for putting together this type of page? I fear it may
not happen if we don't have some accountability. I would do it if I
knew how, but I'm happy to help with content or text, just let me
know. Or, if someone wants to pass me directions on how, I can follow
them and do that too. I'm good at following directions :)

Julie Duryea
owner, souk
322 nw 6th avenue, suite 200
portland, oregon 97209
p | 503.517.6900
f | 503.517.6901
skype julieduryea
http://www.soukllc.com
tweet julsd

Raines Cohen

Sep 4, 2008, 12:44:52 PM9/4/08
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Julie and I are working on this now on the coworking wiki and she should have an announcement later today with the URL.

The initial concept: a list of participating spaces, with links to their websites. Each space can specify terms:
  1. who is eligible (just other participating spaces by default, but could be broader)
  2. what is being offered (day drop-in use)
  3. how to arrange to visit a space and use the service (advance notice requirements)
  4. how other space owners can best verify membership (email, twitter, phone, carrier pigeon, URL for a member list)
Future directions we brainstormed (distilling the wisdom of the thread):
  • an easily-updated map of participating spaces
  • a Coworking Visa logo to put on participating spaces' pages
  • perhaps other tools for rapid verification or listing space members
It's exciting to make this go.

Raines Cohen, Coworking Coach

P.S. Hey, MyDayOffice folded up its tent a couple of months ago and nobody said a peep about it on the list? Jacob of Office Nomads removed 'em from the CoworkingSeattle page on the coworking wiki but we really should start threads here when spaces fail (and start a DeadSpaces page on the wiki) so we can do some more failure analysis and avoid the same mistakes.

Julie

Sep 4, 2008, 2:23:00 PM9/4/08
to Coworking
Ok kiddos! Please update your spot. Here's as much of the url I
could get rolling today, http://coworking.pbwiki.com/CoworkingVisa.
Aim was to keep space specifics brief. Couldn't get to hotlinking
everyone's site, but hope each participant can hop on and edit in
their terms. Feedback welcome (e.g. is it strange to have membership
verification on the same page members will visit?).

Hoping (perhaps against hope) this current visa list can agree to the
3 complimentary days so it's less complicated to the user. I think
there is complication already built-in with our different hours and
requirements, and it would be nice for the visa to not be a
labyrinthian deterrent.

Psyched about this.

Cheers,
Julie Duryea

owner, souk
322 nw 6th avenue, suite 200
portland, oregon 97209
p | 503.517.6900
f | 503.517.6901
skype julieduryea
http://www.soukllc.com
tweet soukportland

On Sep 4, 9:44 am, "Raines Cohen" <rain...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Julie and I are working on this now on the coworking wiki and she should
> have an announcement later today with the URL.
> The initial concept: a list of participating spaces, with links to their
> websites. Each space can specify terms:
>
> 1. who is eligible (just other participating spaces by default, but could
> be broader)
> 2. what is being offered (day drop-in use)
> 3. how to arrange to visit a space and use the service (advance notice
> requirements)
> 4. how other space owners can best verify membership (email, twitter,
> phone, carrier pigeon, URL for a member list)
>
> Future directions we brainstormed (distilling the wisdom of the thread):
>
> - an easily-updated map of participating spaces
> - a Coworking Visa logo to put on participating spaces' pages
> - perhaps other tools for rapid verification or listing space members
>
> It's exciting to make this go.
>
> Raines Cohen, Coworking Coach <http://www.CoworkingCoach.com/>
>
> P.S. Hey, MyDayOffice <http://coworking.pbwiki.com/My+Day+Office> folded up
> its tent a couple of months ago and nobody said a peep about it on the list?
> Jacob of Office Nomads removed 'em from the
> CoworkingSeattle<http://coworking.pbwiki.com/CoworkingSeattle>page on
> the coworking wiki but we really should start threads here when
> spaces fail (and start a DeadSpaces page on the wiki) so we can do some more
> failure analysis and avoid the same mistakes.

Julie

Sep 4, 2008, 2:23:38 PM9/4/08
to Coworking
Oh! And thank you so much to Raines for getting this rolling, like,
RIGHT after I posted this morning. Awesomeness.

Julie Duryea

On Sep 4, 9:44 am, "Raines Cohen" <rain...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Julie and I are working on this now on the coworking wiki and she should
> have an announcement later today with the URL.
> The initial concept: a list of participating spaces, with links to their
> websites. Each space can specify terms:
>
> 1. who is eligible (just other participating spaces by default, but could
> be broader)
> 2. what is being offered (day drop-in use)
> 3. how to arrange to visit a space and use the service (advance notice
> requirements)
> 4. how other space owners can best verify membership (email, twitter,
> phone, carrier pigeon, URL for a member list)
>
> Future directions we brainstormed (distilling the wisdom of the thread):
>
> - an easily-updated map of participating spaces
> - a Coworking Visa logo to put on participating spaces' pages
> - perhaps other tools for rapid verification or listing space members
>
> It's exciting to make this go.
>
> Raines Cohen, Coworking Coach <http://www.CoworkingCoach.com/>
>
> P.S. Hey, MyDayOffice <http://coworking.pbwiki.com/My+Day+Office> folded up
> its tent a couple of months ago and nobody said a peep about it on the list?
> Jacob of Office Nomads removed 'em from the
> CoworkingSeattle<http://coworking.pbwiki.com/CoworkingSeattle>page on
> the coworking wiki but we really should start threads here when
> spaces fail (and start a DeadSpaces page on the wiki) so we can do some more
> failure analysis and avoid the same mistakes.

Tijs Teulings

Sep 4, 2008, 5:06:21 PM9/4/08
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Great work Julie and Raines! I do hope this takes off, i think it's a
nice and simple way to get started. I'll spend some time updating our
own site to reflect the fact that we support the visa asap. And of
course i hope to see you all in The Hague someday, i recommend the
summer since the beach is quite near ;)

Cheers,
Tijs

Steven Heath

Sep 4, 2008, 7:53:15 PM9/4/08
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
I am in process of updating the AltSpace website. I am planning to use something like the following.

Common wording on the 'core' aspects could be a good idea. Comments?

Coworking Visa

AltSpace is part of the first international Coworking Visa programme. The Visa is to allow members of different coworking locations access to participating locations around the world.

At inception 13 coworking locations in America, Canada, The Netherlands, and New Zealand are involved.

A member of any participating office can use the facilities of any other location to encourage community and collaboration of the world wide coworking movement.

Part of the Coworking Visa will include branding and logo usage which each location can use as well as minimum features of the Visa such as drop in rights for no additional charge.

For details of participating locations check out http://coworking.pbwiki.com/CoworkingVisa

Kelly Brown

Sep 5, 2008, 9:18:29 AM9/5/08
to Coworking
Hey I'm sorry I'm a late to the party...
But Office Space Coworking would love to be a part of this as well.

Of course -- we're mid-west (Akron, Ohio) -- so we're not a major
metropolitan area -- but we will have a nice space and I figure it's
best to connect as many as possible.

We officially open October 1st with plans to open 4-5 facilities
within the region with 2 years.
I know - plans of mice & men, and all -- but I only mention that as
the reason this conversation appealed to me was because portability
was a key component of our business plan.

Kelly Brown
Office Space Coworking
453 South High St.
Sutie 101
Akron, OH 44311
http://www.officespacecoworking.com
> skype julieduryeahttp://www.soukllc.com

HeatherO

Sep 5, 2008, 9:26:21 AM9/5/08
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
I am looking to open a space just outside of the Research Triangle Park in NC and am in the very baby stages of the initial biz plan. I would love to be a part when I get up and running.
In the meantime, if anyone is willing to share #'s or other info that would be helpful in getting my biz plan done so that I get going, I would GREATLY appreciate it!
thanks!
HeatherO
Heather O'Sullivan Canney, Owner/Broker
HeatherO Real Estate, Inc.
9194277770 cell/txt
www.HeatherO.com
--
At Your Service,

HeatherO'

Heather O'Sullivan Canney, RP, Broker/Partner
Heather O' Real Estate, Inc.
Real Living Partners Triangle, LLC

(919)427-7770
104B N. Salem St. Apex NC 27502
www.HeatherO.com
www.ApexGoodLiving.com

erikemery

Sep 5, 2008, 1:30:21 PM9/5/08
to Coworking
Hi everyone,

I'm one of the co-founders of Suite133 in Tacoma, WA. Today 6 of us
from the space are taking a day in Seattle at our good friends Office
Nomads. The visa works! We're enjoying the change of scenery and when
the work day is over, we'll be doing happy hour in the Emerald City.

Three cheers for new coworking friends!

Erik Hanberg
www.suite133.com

Gregory Heller

Sep 5, 2008, 2:35:35 PM9/5/08
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Where are you going to do happy hour?

--

http://delicious.com/GregoryHeller

Susan Evans

Sep 5, 2008, 2:41:39 PM9/5/08
to Coworking
Rockin' Julie & Raines! Well done - I'll hop to updating the ON entry
shortly.

Susan Evans

Sep 17, 2008, 6:28:21 PM9/17/08
to Coworking
Hey all,

Just a quick reminder for those of you who are eager to be listed on
the coworking visa page of the wiki (http://wiki.coworking.info/
CoworkingVisa) to log in and enter in your information. I'm going to
try and go through and organize it before the week is done so that it
is all clean and pretty, but I'd love to have more of the missing
space details entered in before I go organizing things. So for those
of you who still need to get your info listed, hop to it if you
please!

Many thanks,

Susan