Community Acquisition of Coworking.com

Alex Hillman

Feb 15, 2010, 12:26:45 PM2/15/10
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
A few days ago, the group received an e-mail from Gerrit at The Coworking Intitute, the owners of coworking.com

As he mentioned in the e-mail, he and his partner Bernie were recently approached by a commercial entity with interest in buying coworking.com from them. While the offer was "one they could not refuse", they agreed to turn to our community first and give us a chance to counter-offer.

I've been corresponding with Gerrit on the side and have had a very positive dialogue. We've agreed to a counter offer (which they have accepted) of 5000 Euros, or ~$6800 USD.

I've never spent this kind of money on a domain before, so I've spoken with a group of some of the longest-standing contributors to the coworking community to see if I was off my rocker. We've agreed that this is a great opportunity to put a stronger stake in the ground for the brand of coworking, the core values that this list upholds, and a better technique of communicating with people who are just finding our community.

What do I think should be done with the domain?

My plan is as follows:

The wiki, blog, and google group will be aliased appropriately from subdomains of the coworking.com domain. Coworking.com will contain a home page explaining those properties and their contents, as well as some curated press links that will be user submitted. Additional ideas are welcome, but this is where I'd like to start!

In the last 24 hours, I've kicked off a pledge of $500 from my own pocket (IndyHall still has some debt to pay back from our move last spring and we consider that priority), and have been followed by the following pledges:

$500 - Alex Hillman/IndyHall
$500 - Tara Hunt/Citizen Space
$250 - Felicity Chapman/Cubes & Crayons
$250 - Steven Heath/AltSpace
$1000 - Susan Evans & Jacob Sayles/Office Nomads
$500 - Chris Messina
$500 - Patrick Tanguay/Station C

That means we've been pledged $3500, just about halfway to the $7k mark we need (including paypal fees and impending wire fees). That's enough for me to transfer 50% of the asking price to the sellers to begin the transfer to us.

Now...what are these contributors getting for their hard earned money? I've come up with a very simple structure to encourage consistent contribution amounts:

Any contributor of $250 or more will have lifetime (of the domain) access to a subdomain of their choice (http://yourchoice.coworking.com), so long as the content of the subdomain falls within the values of the Coworking Community Manifesto:

Community
Collaboration
Openness
Diversity
Sustainability
see Citizen Space and Station-C for citation of what those values mean

Any contributor of $500 or more will get a subdomain of their choice as well, and additionally up to 5 email addresses hosted at a Google for your Domain account set up for coworking.com

Any contributor of $1000 will get a subdomain, 5 e-mail addresses, and a "sponsor" link in the footer of the coworking.com home page linking to the coworking community/space website of their choice.

No single contributor over $1000 will be accepted to give enough fair chances to contributors across the community.

There's no tricks, no scams, no funny business.

Disclosure: I will be maintaining the domain name and its DNS records on behalf of the community until, at some point in the future, there is an entity that supports this community that can take over. I will also be donating web hosting, again, until an entity that supports this community takes over.

How do you become a contributor?

Go to this form:

Everything I've outlined in this e-mail is there as well.

I look forward to this rallying point for the group, and having a great domain name to continue the growth of this community.

-Alex

/ah
indyhall.org
coworking in philadelphia

TCS

Feb 15, 2010, 12:41:10 PM2/15/10
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Cool!
I'll see what the wife says and get back to ya.  But I'm thinking $500
Chad

Chad Ballantyne
Creative Director

ü Please consider the environment before printing this email.

Alex Hillman

Feb 15, 2010, 12:45:43 PM2/15/10
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Awesome! Thanks Chad!

/ah
indyhall.org
coworking in philadelphia

tcs-sign-1.png

Matthew Wettergreen

Feb 15, 2010, 1:09:40 PM2/15/10
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
This is an incredible thing that Alex did by contacting the community members to make sure the domain stays community focused. Thanks Alex.

Caroline Collective and myself will contribute $500 for the domain.

Matthew Wettergreen
Caroline Collective

Matthew Wettergreen, Ph.D
Caroline Collective
Co-Founder // Co-Director
4820 Caroline st // Houston // TX // 77004
http://carolinecollective.cc

Rice University
Engineering and Design for Art and Artifact Conservation (EDAAC)
Program Director
http://edaac.rice.edu

e: mwette...@gmail.com
w: http://matthewwettergreen.com
c: 713.825.4613
t: @organprinter

Tonya Surman

Ashok Nare

Feb 15, 2010, 1:29:17 PM2/15/10
to cowo...@googlegroups.com

I am a space catalyst, still in the planning stages of a coworking space.  While I have not been able to dedicate as much time as I would have liked to for the coworking initiatives, my interest in coworking remains very high.

I am glad to see the effort to keep this domain name community focused.  I am willing to contribute $250 from my own pocket to help the cause.

Regards,

Ashok Nare
CollabCubes Coworking (Work In Progress)

Alex Hillman

Feb 15, 2010, 1:32:37 PM2/15/10
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
All,

If you're able to contribute on ANY way, please go to this form:

Fill it out, and "check out" using paypal to send the funds.

If for some reason Paypal's checkout doesn't work as intended, which seems to be happening to some, you can send the money to us directly, bil...@indyhall.org.

Thanks again for all of the incredible community support.

-Alex

/ah
indyhall.org
coworking in philadelphia

Tony Bacigalupo

Feb 15, 2010, 2:31:32 PM2/15/10
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
The battle against those who care about nothing more than to pump dry any term or trend that could up their profits is going to be an endless one, but by securing this domain we give ourselves a much better chance of successfully defending our word from being co-opted and robbed of its meaning.

This is an important step in the evolution of this movement and a unique opportunity for us to come together and make coworking even stronger and better positioned to help more people than ever before.

NWC is in for $1k. Let's rock this.

Tony
New Work City - Work with, not for.
Web:   http://nwcny.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/nwc
Email: to...@nwcny.com
Phone: (888) 823-3494

TCS

Feb 15, 2010, 2:56:52 PM2/15/10
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
The Creative Space is in for $250
 -might be able to do another $250 - we'll see - I tried the form and it kept telling my I didn't select an amount...

j. p. sweeney

Feb 15, 2010, 3:02:32 PM2/15/10
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Workantile Exchange is in for at least $250, but I had the same problem as Tony in trying to submit...

<tcs-sign-1.png>

Chad Ballantyne
Creative Director

ü Please consider the environment before printing this email.

Alex Hillman

Feb 15, 2010, 3:22:20 PM2/15/10
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
I don't know what's up with the $250 amount on the form...if you're trying to submit there, just send a paypal payment to bil...@indyhall.org or contact me off list to be sent a payment request.

-Alex

/ah
indyhall.org
coworking in philadelphia

Raines Cohen

Feb 15, 2010, 3:52:22 PM2/15/10
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
I'm in. Coworking Coaches is now a $1K sponsor (does that put us over the top? Don't stop the pledging), and I'm looking forward to a collaborative process of building a sustainable, resilient virtual home base for the coworking movement.

I consider my investment here a downpayment on building the community infrastructure and helping coworking stand on its own two feet as a peer with cohousing, worker/business cooperatives, incubators, and similar ventures -- to be celebrated, understood, and appreciated for its uniqueness but also for what it can share, in history, education, tools, and philosophy.

Perhaps we can structure what we do as we build collective capacity and set up an organization so that after the domain is covered, others can step up in other ways to match the initial effort, for the work that follows.

Raines Cohen, Coworking Coach
Planning for Sustainable Communities (Berkeley, CA)
Founding Member, Hub Bay Area coworking for social entrepreneurs

Alex Hillman

Feb 15, 2010, 5:32:26 PM2/15/10
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Awesome, Raines. Thanks for your support!

I said this to Mike Schinkel, offline:

This isn't buying a membership to an association. This is contributing to a specific cause, and being a sponsor.
I think that we're on the path to form something more organic and accurately representative of what this community needs instead of bucketing it into a co-op or any other organization just because we know what that looks like.
I think we're getting more organized, and there's no doubt about that...and I'm happy to lead the charge and have the community's support :)

Hang tight, everybody. Talleying everything up now, in terms of pledges and actual payments. A few people have requested paypal invoices, they'll be coming shortly.

-Alex

/ah
indyhall.org
coworking in philadelphia

Alex Hillman

Feb 15, 2010, 5:52:11 PM2/15/10
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
WOW. In under 24 hours, we've raised pledges for over $9000. Over $6000 of that has been paid via paypal.

That said, I'm putting new sponsorships ON HOLD. I think that we will be able to come up with new, shared value propositions to allow more spaces to find themselves sponsor links on the coworking.com homepage. If you feel like you missed out, PLEASE DON'T.

This is NOT the end. It's only the beginning! I promise I won't be running off with your money :)

If you've pledged, or attempted to fill out the form and did not pay via paypal at the end, I'll be sending you a paypal money request. I'd like to ask that pledges are paid by end of business day tomorrow.

Once again, this has been incredible, and went much much much faster than I thought it would. I'm so proud of this community, and look forward to sharing the value of our new domain together!

/ah
indyhall.org
coworking in philadelphia

Mike Schinkel

Feb 15, 2010, 5:57:10 PM2/15/10
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
On Feb 15, 2010, at 5:32 PM, Alex Hillman wrote:
I said this to Mike Schinkel, offline:

This isn't buying a membership to an association. This is contributing to a specific cause, and being a sponsor.
I think that we're on the path to form something more organic and accurately representative of what this community needs instead of bucketing it into a co-op or any other organization just because we know what that looks like.
I think we're getting more organized, and there's no doubt about that...and I'm happy to lead the charge and have the community's support :)

Just to include the full conversation I basically emailed Alex and said it sounded like he was heading in the direction of the Coworking co-op I suggested previously and that I felt he was the best one to lead the charge.  He responded with the above to which I replied "Cool."

-Mike Schinkel
Ignition Alley Atlanta Coworking
http://ignitionalley.com

Alex Hillman

Feb 15, 2010, 6:02:48 PM2/15/10
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Exactly! Thanks Mike!

/ah
indyhall.org
coworking in philadelphia

Rosie Sherry

Feb 15, 2010, 6:16:33 PM2/15/10
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Looks like I've missed out :(  I should check in here more often.

On the positive note it is super-fantastically-awesome that the money has been raised.

I'd happily contribute a personal contribution in the future, there is so much value in the group, movement and wiki.
--
Rosie Sherry
www.schux.com

Alex Hillman

Feb 15, 2010, 6:18:09 PM2/15/10
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Rosie,

Don't feel bad. This blitz went MUCH faster than anyone expected, especially me.

I look forward to have you on board for the next time we need to raise some money for a community resource!

-Alex

/ah
indyhall.org
coworking in philadelphia

WHERE MMM

Feb 15, 2010, 8:35:33 PM2/15/10
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Alex et al,

This is a great idea and glad to see how everyone is jumping in to come together.

While I was trying to decide and raise funds for the 500 and 1k buy in I now have a question and an idea to propose to the group:

1. With the funds in excess now for the actual amount that we we looking for to secure the domain can we look to restructure the amounts so that everyone can have an opportunity to participate?

1a. Otherwise what will be done with the extra money raised & who will manage it?

1b. The dreaded topic of last week's thread on an annual Coworking Conference comes to mind..... can some of these funds that we are raising help to bring us together (even if virtual and or telephonically) or elect someone to manage the group and pay someone so that the group can have a single administrative 'go-to' person?

2. How does the group feel about a regional effort instead of these tiers?

2a. In the true sense of a collective coworking environment we are supposed to be 'equal' and not divided by social or soci-economical levels. With a regional approach rather than this (very good and very effective fund raising strategy) then everyone would be able to buy in at a lower rate and be included. Additionally the regional approach would allow for those of us who can afford to contribute more could 'host' a regional conference/ meet-up so that we can manage the creation of the domain into a functioning site.

3. Last thought that has plagued me all day.....what about the coworking sites that are associated through government entities, those that are funded as not-for-profits, etc

These groups often times can not participate and move as quickly on things like this.

Are 'we' alienating 'them' in this fast move?

          *These groups do not have the luxury of pulling money out of their own pockets even if they want to because of the structure they operate under.

          *Even if these organizations want to participate often times the group will need board authorization and this can take time.

Last point I have been pondering.... who is this group that wanted to come in and make this buy? Why did they want it and why now? What was the urgency?

I hope that this doesn't seem like I am not supporting this because I am ALL FOR A COLLECTIVE and have been really doing a lot of footwork and site visits to speak with everyone out there as much as possible. Coming from a non-profit viewpoint and effort of community building I am really interested in contributing to the effort in any way possible. I would love to see a collective formed with some resources behind it and some real muscle. I see this as a great first step and am encouraged.... but I also am a big believer that we all should really be heard, have access, and be able to participate. We have all worked to hard in our own communities as well as a whole entity to not take a moment to think about our actions here and the impact we are setting forth at this very moment.

With the upmost respect and compassion I submitt these thoughts for discussion.

Thank you all,

Danielle Nicoli
WHERE: Meet, Mix, Mogul
Coworking in Los Angeles

Steven Heath

Feb 15, 2010, 8:45:22 PM2/15/10
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Last point I have been pondering.... who is this group that wanted to come in and make this buy? Why did they want it and why now? What was the urgency?

'We' had 3 days to decide if we could make an offer and buy this name. Alex emailed about a dozen people which resulted in enough interest to 1, fund a good hunk of the price and 2, allow a public post to secure the rest of the monies.

No one, and I mean no one, expected this money to be agreed and 70% collected in 36 hours!

The initial off list discussions resulted in messages about 'legal entity' and 'value for money' and 'what the heck, better than some sleaze ball having it'.

Once it was decided to go after this name we (really Alex) had little time to lose to get the pledges, put the offer in and then secure funds.

I think the reason it worked is that we believe in the 'cause' and each could afford a share of the funds to secure the domain name. Alex had the idea, bunch of us agreed with him, agreed to support him in the approach and here we are!

--
Steven Heath
Director, Foxbane Consulting

AltSpace.co.nz - Shared office space in Wellington for home based workers, freelancers, or nimble companies

Angel

Feb 15, 2010, 10:57:47 PM2/15/10
to Coworking
This is all really awesome! Am wondering if there will be a way to
buy in later to get a www.city/name.coworking.com domain? That would
be cool and would band us together in a really excellent, unified way.

WHERE MMM

Feb 15, 2010, 11:01:44 PM2/15/10
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
yes, this is along the lines for the regional thoughts .....and unity among us all.

thanks, danielle

Alex Hillman

Feb 16, 2010, 12:41:45 AM2/16/10
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
I'll say again:

This initial purchase was NOT about including or excluding anyone. A
goal was establihed that needed to be met, and mobilized.

This does NOT represent a specific association or lack thereof. Not
being able to support, due to financial/regional or any other reason,
does not mean you're "out of the club".

Raised funds above and beyond the needed amount can be figured out
once the domain is secured. It's not my money to spend on anything
else, and so it won't be spent without the contributors' consent, and
furthermore, won't be spent on anything that doesn't benefit 100% of
the community.

This isn't "done" by any means, and once the domain has been secured,
I'm happy discuss re-organizing the funds for a better, more long term
and sustainable model that allows everyone to get a piece of the
action!

-Alex

On Monday, February 15, 2010, WHERE MMM <wher...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]

> Sustainability

> see Citizen Space <http://citizenspace.us/about/our-philosophy/> and Station-C for citation of what those values mean
>

> • Any contributor of $500 or more will get a subdomain of their choice as well, and additionally up to 5 email addresses hosted at a Google for your Domain account set up for coworking.com <http://coworking.com/>
>

> • Any contributor of $1000 will get a subdomain, 5 e-mail addresses, and a "sponsor" link in the footer of the coworking.com <http://coworking.com/> home page linking to the coworking community/space website of their choice.

> No single contributor over $1000 will be accepted to give enough fair chances to contributors across the community.
>

> There's no tricks, no scams, no funny business.
>

> Disclosure: I will be maintaining the domain name and its DNS records on behalf of t--

jasontg...@gmail.com

Feb 16, 2010, 12:44:53 AM2/16/10
to Coworking
I'm in for $500.

On Feb 15, 11:26 am, Alex Hillman <dangerouslyawes...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> [...]

> those values mean
>
> • *Any contributor of $500* or more will get a subdomain of their choice as

> well, and additionally up to 5 email addresses hosted at a Google for your
> Domain account set up for coworking.com
>

> • *Any contributor of $1000* will get a subdomain, 5 e-mail addresses, and a

> "sponsor" link in the footer of the coworking.com home page linking to the
> coworking community/space website of their choice.
>
> No single contributor over $1000 will be accepted to give enough fair
> chances to contributors across the community.
>

> *There's no tricks, no scams, no funny business. *

> Disclosure: I will be maintaining the domain name and its DNS records on
> behalf of the community until, at some point in the future, there is an

> entity that supports *this community* that can take over. I will also be

Alex Hillman

Feb 16, 2010, 12:51:43 AM2/16/10
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Jason,

As I mention in the thread, we've over-raised at this point and aren't taking more contributions towards the domain purchase. We've had some suggestions about how to redistribute the funding and allow more people to benefit from the domain than the "fast and the funded", but we won't need to address that until the domain is transferred and up, which is going to be a bit :)

-Alex

/ah
indyhall.org
coworking in philadelphia

WHERE MMM

Feb 16, 2010, 12:13:27 PM2/16/10
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Alex,

As the pint person here on this, and again I totally understand that you took a much needed lead and happy you stepped up to the plate on it but wondering who is now going to be a part of the 'entity' of the negotiation of the deal.

And, how is it that people can reserve on the initial offer that you presented and or for the redistribution of funds? (per Jason's last comment/ request)

Would there be a way to begin a list of those who pledged and or now want to contribute; those who didn't get have an opportunity to partake on this quick deal over a long holiday weekend?

What is the time frame that you are looking at to officially close the deal and how can people be a part of the 'official' process of contributing/submitting ideas going forward? Will there be a committee formed and what will be the 'election process'?

Danielle Nicoli
Linked in & @wheremmm
WHERE: Meet, Mix, Mogul
Coworking in Los Angeles

googlevoice 202 596 5157

Chris Messina

Feb 16, 2010, 12:21:33 PM2/16/10
to Coworking
Congratulations, Alex. Great work!

There's clearly a desire among the coworking community to put in a
stake in the ground and create something that more collectively
represents the maturity (or maturing?) of the community!

I think this initiative worked because it was 1) focused 2) had a
deadline 3) resulted in a tangible outcome.

Given that there's probably still people who would like to chip in, I
wonder if you can't quickly look into hiring a contractor or company
to build out the coworking.com website? Perhaps put out a limited RFP
to the coworking community and then have the various proposals
presented at SXSW and then voted on to quickly move things forward
with the opportunity to raise a second amount of money to cover the
costs of such a site?

While I'm sure we/you could find volunteers to help, nothing motivates
and catalyzes effort like positive income (i.e. cash) — and the Drupal
community demonstrated that there can be a mix of open process, design
leadership, and contracting out to arrive at a solution that hopefully
many feel bought in to and works for the needs of a wide constituency.

I also would caution against trying to create a massive or feature-
rich site on coworking.com. I really like workatjelly.com for its
straightforwardness and simplicity — and think that coworking.com
should follow this model.

Anyway, that's how I might proceed if I were in Alex's shoes — now
that people have expressed an interest and committed to it with
dollars — can we turn it into a secondary outcome that builds upon the
initial success?

Chris

On Feb 15, 2:52 pm, Alex Hillman <dangerouslyawes...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]

> >> collaborative process of building a sustainable, resilient virtual home base
> >> for the coworking movement.
>
> >> I consider my investment here a downpayment on building the community
> >> infrastructure and helping coworking stand on its own two feet as a peer
> >> with cohousing, worker/business cooperatives, incubators, and similar
> >> ventures -- to be celebrated, understood, and appreciated for its uniqueness
> >> but also for what it can share, in history, education, tools, and
> >> philosophy.
>
> >> Perhaps we can structure what we do as we build collective capacity and
> >> set up an organization so that after the domain is covered, others can step
> >> up in other ways to match the initial effort, for the work that follows.
>

> >> Raines Cohen, Coworking Coach <http://www.CoworkingCoach.com/>
> >> *Planning for Sustainable Communities* (Berkeley, CA)

WHERE MMM

Feb 16, 2010, 12:38:52 PM2/16/10
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Chris,

I love this idea on specific next steps that you have presented.

I would be willing to move my pledge for the domain purchase to money to spend on a open site/ location at SXSW to host such a meeting.

And, if there is anyone else who didn't get to be involved and would like to be please let me know.

This momentum is exciting!

Danielle @''WHERE: Meet, Mix, Mogul"
Worklounge and Community Hub
Los Angeles, Ca

Tara Hunt

Feb 16, 2010, 2:00:10 PM2/16/10
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Maybe my dream of the ultimate coworking site can be achieved finally! Here it was:

And modeled off of Conferenceer (by Jacob Patton - no longer in existence). Simple, but functional.

tara 'missrogue' hunt

Book: The Whuffie Factor (http://www.thewhuffiefactor.com)
Blog: HorsePigCow: Marketing Uncommon (http://horsepigcow.com)
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/missrogue
phone: 514-679-2951

Sasha V

Feb 16, 2010, 2:11:04 PM2/16/10
to Coworking
Was away for the weekend and totally missed this, but very excited to
see the new site!

Sasha Vasilyuk
Sandbox Suites
www.sandboxsuites.com

todd@c4workspace

Feb 17, 2010, 10:14:22 AM2/17/10
to Coworking
This is REALLY amazing. Congrats to Alex for putting it together and
thanks to everyone who contributed.

It's been alluded to but I think we, as a community, are firmly on our
way to some sort of "organization." I've heard lots of resistance to
that idea including the hub-bub over the "Federated Coworking" session
proposed for SXSW. Thanks Rachel for checking into co-op
opportunities. I've been a president of an international association
(and ran it for about 18 months when our executive director bailed)
and it takes time and focus to do it right. Communications alone (move
to ZoHo) is a challenge in itself. And managing finances, especially
over international borders, is a special skill. There are some
enlightened folks in the association management space (Maddie Grant is
one) who might be open to guiding us. That's all to say that there is
a lot to consider.

Now, from the mixing it up department, some of you may know that the
Texas spaces have gotten together to help throw a SXSW shindig. Well,
that whole discussion evolved into the formation of the Texas
Coworking Coalition. And last night Paul from Texas Coworking in
Austin (on Sixth Street no less) purchased CoworkingCoalition.com. We
have a sub domain of texas.coworkingcoalition.com set up and will have
a site up by SXSW. The thought behind the domain was to generalize it
so others could use it. That all came together in about 3 hours via
out Texas Coworking Coalition Google group.

I'll chalk all this activity up to Karma or the gods and goddesses or
Fate or whatever but it seems this was all meant to be at this time. I
say let's roll with it and see where it goes.

I'd like to suggest that those of us attending SXSW that we get
together on Saturday afternoon before the MeetUp for a little
CoworkCamp activity to discuss this and all other kinds of good ideas.
I'd suggest Texas Coworking as the location but I'll leave that to
them.

For whatever reason, it's time. I'm so glad to be here right now!

Todd O'Neill
Catalyst/Partner
C4 Workspace
San Antonio Texas

Jacob Sayles

Feb 17, 2010, 12:24:35 PM2/17/10
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Smaller coalitions like the one you are talking about here are a much better alternative to an international affiliation.  I say go forth and rock your idea and be open with your model so others can repeat it if it feels right to them.  Putting something high up, at the coworking.com level, forces people to come to a consensus and is more fracturing then uniting.

Jacob

---
Office Nomads - Individuality without Isolation
http://www.officenomads.com -  (206) 323-6500

SanManUWS

Feb 17, 2010, 12:32:50 PM2/17/10
to Coworking
Well -

If there is still a need for money as well - I am happy to put some
cash in from my own personal pocket.

On Feb 17, 9:24 am, Jacob Sayles <jsay...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Smaller coalitions like the one you are talking about here are a much better
> alternative to an international affiliation.  I say go forth and rock your
> idea and be open with your model so others can repeat it if it feels right
> to them.  Putting something high up, at the coworking.com level, forces
> people to come to a consensus and is more fracturing then uniting.
>
> Jacob
>
> ---

> Office Nomads - Individuality without Isolationhttp://www.officenomads.com-  (206) 323-6500

Mike Schinkel

Feb 17, 2010, 12:38:26 PM2/17/10
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
On Feb 17, 2010, at 12:24 PM, Jacob Sayles wrote:
Putting something high up, at the coworking.com level, forces people to come to a consensus and is more fracturing then uniting.

Curious, then why some much monetary interest for part of coworking.com?

Jacob Sayles

Feb 17, 2010, 12:49:12 PM2/17/10
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
My comment isn't that nothing should be put up on coworking.com.  I think the domain is very useful and I'm happy to see we secured it.  That's a far cry from putting together a blanket coalition for all of coworking.  Danger!  Danger Will Robinson!

Jacob

---
Office Nomads - Individuality without Isolation
http://www.officenomads.com -  (206) 323-6500

TCS

Feb 17, 2010, 12:53:29 PM2/17/10
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
My take: don't form a new entity.

TCS is a labour of love as most of these space are...we break even most of the time but as individual companies we've all grown and increased revenues.
coworking.com is just another way for us to help the movement of relationships, collaboration and creativity (TCS 3 value words)

coworking.com is worth the investment into our vision.  Use the funds, buy the domain.  you'll have to live up to your promises of donation = some value, but for us, the value is 3 fold.  One: we can bring all the discussions (wiki, group, etc) under one roof and Two: we can loosely own the term which can help us all on going.  and Three: We have a distinct hub for new spaces to come to and learn.

Chad

Tara Hunt

Feb 17, 2010, 1:23:33 PM2/17/10
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
The idea behind a discussion about 3 years ago regarding the THEN coworking.com, coworkination.com is that the site is used for the following purposes:

1. Information on the movement and how to get involved
2. An up to date map of the current coworking spaces
3. That map is generated by signing up with a 'space' (because of spam, those can be voted off the island)
4. If you are part of a space (owner, permanent tenant), you can sign up as an individual under coworkination + a space, if you are nomadic, you sign up as an individual and 'check in' to spaces you visit.
5. There was a foursquare-like element with space badges that would appear on your profile (spaces you visit)

And...eventually, there was to be a geo-logging element to it. We discussed using something like Plazes.com (acquired by Nokia since then) to have anyone who opened a laptop in a space automagically check in.

But it wasn't meant to be some formal organization. The goals were to:

1. Give n00bies information and directions to their nearest coworking space and for those interested in starting a space, good information.
2. Give coworking spaces a platform to shine on
3. Give all of us a more accurate read as to how many real coworking spaces (there is too much spam on the gMap) there are and who to contact in regards to those spaces.

But really nothing else. I am still leaning towards that idea.

tcs-sign-1.png

WHERE MMM

Feb 17, 2010, 1:32:57 PM2/17/10
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Please keep us all posted, thanks: good stuff.

Love love love that Texas will be hosting these discussions....

(as part southern belle) it is nice to have the heart of texas/ southern hospitality flow through coworking!

I am new to the SXSW adventure and am planning my trip now..so any advice and guidance, in advance, would be great!

Danielle

Danielle Nicoli
WHERE: MMM
Los Angeles

I'd like to suggest that those of us attending SXSW that we get
together on Saturday afternoon before the MeetUp for a little
CoworkCamp activity to discuss this and all other kinds of good ideas.
I'd suggest Texas Coworking as the location but I'll leave that to
them.

For whatever reason, it's time. I'm so glad to be here right now!

Todd O'Neill
Catalyst/Partner
C4 Workspace
San Antonio Texas

TCS

Feb 17, 2010, 6:17:24 PM2/17/10
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
I concur with Tara - a common hub, a place of learning, a place of community and a place to grow spaces and launch new ones.

coworking

Feb 18, 2010, 4:14:19 PM2/18/10
to Coworking
Steven, I like you wonder why the urgency of the sell/buy on the
website name and who the other "almost" purchaser was/is? I am
thrilled to get caught up today on the collaboration taking place to
solidify the collective group of coworkers. Our local coworking
community is slowly growing and building awareness in the Chattanooga,
TN business community. We're holding bi-weekly Jelly! Chattanooga
events that are also growing in attendance. We are very interested in
networking with more coworking communities and collaborating to
promote coworking to the general working public.

Alex, we appreciate your rally on this. Each coworking community is
unique in its member demographics and ability to "instantaneously"
raise funds. This line of thought brought up by Danielle Nicoli shines
some interesting issues to consider as we push forward toward a more
"common ground" for coworking communities.

I think these issues should be brought up at SXSW. Forgive me, but is
anyone going to stream online any of the coworking "discussion." I
would be v-e-r-y interested along with the other coworking communities
to participate in the "conversation." With all the geeks among us I
would hope this would be possible....dreaming of being there.

At your service,
Denise Reed
www.theconciergelevel.com
600 Republic Centre
633 Chestnut Street
Chattanooga, TN 37450

Ryan Price

Feb 22, 2010, 9:47:31 AM2/22/10
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Another community I belong to, Drupal, had a blank one-screen site for
a long time at Drupal.com (they use drupal.org day-to-day) - now they
have something much more useful. I think it makes a good example.
(plus Tara's awesome screenshots)
http://drupal.com/
What is Drupal? different things to different people
Who is Drupal? a few non-verbal profiles of community members,
personalities
Where is Drupal? fun examples of drupal devotion and major events

It's the story of Drupal, not some definition.

Peace,
Ryan Price
rpr...@ryanpricemedia.com
@liberatr