Office Nomads Power Outlet Pole Thingys

Toni Hogan

Apr 1, 2012, 11:04:25 PM4/1/12
to Coworking
Office Nomads has some poles throughout the middle of their space with
power outlet cluster at the bottom (see link for photo). I can't tell
if they are "home made" or OEM (manufactured). Either way I need to
know how to get 'em! :-)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/20916143@N03/6964907393/lightbox/
Message has been deleted

Toni Hogan

Apr 2, 2012, 12:31:01 AM4/2/12
to Coworking
Thanks. Believe or not, I searched for "power poles" and didn't get
what I was looking for. I'll bet it comes up now. LOL!

thanks again....

TH

On Apr 1, 11:24 pm, Adrienne Normand <arnorm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> They are called "Power poles" and are metal housings made UL listed for the
> purpose of running electrical conduit from the J-box in the ceiling to the
> floor.
> When you buy electrified modular furniture (AKA: Cubes, but now there are
> many alternatives without getting panels), the product will come with these
> poles.  However, I believe any commercial licensed electrician (who you
> will need to do the work) can supply them as well.
>
> Adrienne

Jacob Sayles

Apr 2, 2012, 11:58:55 AM4/2/12
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
I'd like to find ones that are flexible.  We have a couple areas where the tables get moved around quite a bit when we have events and such and it would be nice if we weren't confined by these poles.  The trick is making it look nice and not just hanging an extension cord from the ceiling.  Any ideas on that sort of thing?

Jacob

---
Office Nomads - Individuality without Isolation
http://www.officenomads.com(206) 323-6500

Jerome Chang

Apr 2, 2012, 12:04:06 PM4/2/12
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Some office spaces use raised flooring so that power is available every other grid or something.
Otherwise, I saw an interesting installation @Indie Desk where they have a re-coilable piece hung from the ceiling structure.  I'd imagine something similar but on a ceiling grid made of unistruts.

Jerome
______________
BLANKSPACES
"work FOR yourself, not BY yourself"

www.blankspaces.com
ph: 323.330.9505 | 5405 Wilshire Blvd (2 blocks west of La Brea) Los Angeles, CA 90036

Alex Hillman

Apr 2, 2012, 12:05:58 PM4/2/12
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
The Work Spot in Atlanta actually has extension cords in the retractable containers hanging from the ceiling - kinda like the thing you see in a machine shop. They're awesome, and look really cool. When they're not in use, the cables just zip up out of the way.

-Alex

--
/ah
coworking in philadelphia

Randall G. Arnold

Apr 2, 2012, 12:22:39 PM4/2/12
to cowo...@googlegroups.com

On the subject of nomads and power outlets, my recent wry take on some irony: http://post404.com/2012/03/powering-down-mobile-power-users/

Randy

Jenny at eeko

Apr 2, 2012, 12:25:40 PM4/2/12
to cowo...@googlegroups.com, cowo...@googlegroups.com
We did the hanging auto shop outlets and they have been great. Keeps the floors clean from cords and we even attached these hangman guys to them so they're easier to pull down for us shorties  http://db.tt/Fxz6M8NV

Kindest Regards,
Jenny Poon
CO+HOOTS

On Apr 2, 2012, at 9:17 AM, Adrienne Normand <arno...@gmail.com> wrote:

One thing you could do is get tables with power that daisy-chains.  That way not all tables are dependent on your one power source....only the first one is.
Adrienne

Alex Hillman

Apr 2, 2012, 12:27:46 PM4/2/12
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Where are people buying the auto-shop power cords from? Any links to share?

--
/ah
coworking in philadelphia

Jenny at eeko

Apr 2, 2012, 12:35:52 PM4/2/12
to cowo...@googlegroups.com, cowo...@googlegroups.com
We asked some auto shop folks locally and they ordered for us but here are some on amazon. You can search retractable electric reel to find.

Kindest Regards,
Jenny Poon
CO+HOOTS.com

Aliza Torok Schlabach

Apr 2, 2012, 12:46:33 PM4/2/12
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Jenny, what a great concept - and I love the hangman guys!  Do you happen to have (or can you take) a photo of the space from further back, showing these guys hanging from the ceiling in multiples (in context of the desks)?

Aliza Schlabach
Founder | Coworking For Parents
215.858.4658
Sign up for our email newsletter | Join our Meetup group | Like us on Facebook

Randall G. Arnold

Apr 2, 2012, 12:51:33 PM4/2/12
to cowo...@googlegroups.com

Something I forgot to mention: at our little post404 venture we are VERY BIG on coworking, and have some general articles planned to cover the advent.  We are also interested in doing profiles on particular spaces, so if you're interested, let me know!  We'll just need a few photos (space, founders, users, etc) as well as some quotes (either voluntary or in response to questions).

Looking forward to working with you all,

Randy

Kevork M. Derderian

Apr 2, 2012, 12:51:40 PM4/2/12
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Hey All,

About any type of electrical item like this can be seen on www.grainger.com

Toni Hogan

Apr 2, 2012, 12:58:25 PM4/2/12
to Coworking
Whooohoooo! This is awesome. We've been in a meeting with the landlord
this morning and talked about this very thing. Great to come back to
this conversation. I'm loving the auto shop power cord idea because of
the flexibility in rearranging a room!

Total awesomeness!

Toni

On Apr 2, 11:35 am, Jenny at eeko <je...@eekostudio.com> wrote:
> We asked some auto shop folks locally and they ordered for us but here are some on amazon. You can search retractable electric reel to find.
>
>         Bayco SL-800 Professional Retractable Reel with 30-Foot Triple Tap
> Bayco
> $43.99 $42.70
>
> Sent using Amazon Mobile for iPhone
>
> Kindest Regards,
> Jenny Poon
> CO+HOOTS.com
>
> On Apr 2, 2012, at 9:27 AM, Alex Hillman <dangerouslyawes...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Where are people buying the auto-shop power cords from? Any links to share?
>
> > --
> > /ah
> > indyhall.org
> > coworking in philadelphia
> > On Monday, April 2, 2012 at 12:25 PM, Jenny at eeko wrote:
>
> >> We did the hanging auto shop outlets and they have been great. Keeps the floors clean from cords and we even attached these hangman guys to them so they're easier to pull down for us shorties  http://db.tt/Fxz6M8NV
>
> >> Kindest Regards,
> >> Jenny Poon
> >> CO+HOOTS

Jacob Sayles

Apr 2, 2012, 4:04:42 PM4/2/12
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Now is there anything similar for ethernet?

Jacob

---
Office Nomads - Individuality without Isolation
http://www.officenomads.com(206) 323-6500

Joshua Marpet

Apr 2, 2012, 11:44:38 PM4/2/12
to cowo...@googlegroups.com