do you pro-rate mid-month membership changes (upgrade or downgrade)? how do you calculate it?

Alex Hillman

Sep 12, 2017, 12:36:49 PM9/12/17
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Hey gang!

How do you handle billing to mid-month membership changes? If somebody upgrades before their billing cycle, do you calculate an "upgrade" charge to cover the difference?

Bonus points if you have a formula you can share :)

-Alex

------------------
The #1 mistake in community building is doing it by yourself.
Better Coworkers: http://indyhall.org
Weekly Coworking Tips: http://coworkingweekly.com

Glen Ferguson

Sep 12, 2017, 12:47:51 PM9/12/17
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Normally we'll make changes effective at the start of the next month, but if someone starts mid-month, we'll pro-rate. Ready for the ugly formula?  This works for a "days per week" type of membership better than a "days per month" membership.

(price difference between plans / business days in month) * business days remaining in the month = pro-rated amount to charge.

Business days is defined as the days we're open or days the member will have access.

If they're starting as a new member, the price difference between plans is the regular monthly rate.

Glen Ferguson
Phone: 301-732-5165
Address: 122 E Patrick St, Frederick, MD 21701

Alex Hillman

Sep 12, 2017, 1:56:38 PM9/12/17
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Glen!