Parking

David Matthews

Jan 31, 2013, 8:22:03 AM1/31/13
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
All,

If you have a coworking space with limited parking facilities, or are a block or more away, how do you get around this situation and how does it affect your business?

Thanks in advance,

David

Jerome Chang

Jan 31, 2013, 8:34:23 AM1/31/13
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
We just implemented a new policy: we issued out parking permits to hang from rearview mirrors.

Old policy: daily sign-in sheet at the front desk. We would go across the street and randomly spot check unauthorized parking.

Jerome
______________
BLANKSPACES
"work FOR yourself, not BY yourself"

www.blankspaces.com
5405 Wilshire Blvd (2 blocks west of La Brea) Los Angeles, CA 90036
323.330.9505 (office)
> --
> ---

Tom Brandt

Jan 31, 2013, 9:20:31 AM1/31/13
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
We are right in downtown Ann Arbor and have no parking that belongs to the building we lease, so inform members about several options:

  1. There are several privatel and municipal parking structures and lots within walking distance (4 -5 blocks) of Workantile.
  2. The city bus service offers a bus pass to everyone who works downtown. It's $10/year for unlimited rides. The city maintains several park-and-ride lots on the outskirts of town where you can park for free and use the bus pass for the trip into downtown.
  3. Bike. Being a hippy-dippy liberal university town, the city is encouraging bike commuting, and we offer free indoor bike parking to our members.
  4. Walk. Quite a few of our members live within a mile or so of Workantile, and walk here.
The lack of easy parking has not really affected us. People want to work in downtown Ann Arbor because of its walkability and numerous dining, drinking and shopping options, so the lack of convenient parking is a tradeoff people are willing to make.

---

twb
member, Workantile
@twbrandt

Alex Linsker

May 13, 2016, 2:00:11 PM5/13/16
to Coworking
How does parking work for you now? I'm considering getting some parking permits for Collective Agency, am thinking members could pick them up here then put them in their car then bring them back when done.

Collective Agency would pay a monthly permit fee. Am wondering whether to charge members who want passes for themselves and visitors a monthly fee, maybe $75 or $100 per month. We have paid meetings and am wondering whether to charge them too. It would likely get us more meetings and members to have car parking downtown; the meetings parking would pay for themselves but for members, do you charge, or not, if the amount you pay per parking spot costs almost as much as how much a person pays for membership?

Downtown parking is currently a deterrent for some potential members, and some members have said they would buy additional memberships if there was free parking. So I think it makes sense to have 5 parking spots to start, but am wondering if charging extra for parking might be worse than providing it included in membership.

We expanded to second location recently, and a third location I'm considering would be in a different neighborhood with free street parking; am wondering if providing different amenities at each location has worked for anyone, and how?

Thanks,

Gretchen Bilbro

May 26, 2016, 12:02:21 PM5/26/16
to Coworking, happninda...@gmail.com
We are in a downtown area and only have 2 hour free street parking. There are two city free lots 2-4 blocks from us but this area is not used to walking any distance for parking and we have had many complaints about this issue. Our current members don't have a problem with the situation. We all try to keep an eye out for the ticket lady and move our cars around to avoid tickets. It seems to just be potential members and people coming in to reserve event space that have the biggest problem with it.

Craig Baute - Creative Density Coworking

Jun 9, 2016, 5:05:47 PM6/9/16
to Coworking, happninda...@gmail.com
I provide a Google map of the blocks in the area with free parking and 2 hour parking. I print and share the link with them. This makes life a lot easier for everyone involved.

Casa 98 Coworking

Jun 22, 2016, 10:55:50 AM6/22/16
to Coworking, happninda...@gmail.com
We are over a main street in front of a little river and just have  three parking available.  We inform the coworkers about parking lots near by and several options to came.
Fortunatly we are two blocks from metro station and bus, so it is very easy arrive usign public transportation, we offer free bike parking too, but 80% of coworkers lives around the area so they prefer walking to enjoy nature.
At the time at events, we are very specific about where people must parking to avoid a bad experience to the visitors.

Paulina
Casa 98 Coworking Space
@casa98CW